installed Win98SE getting problems

Washu

thx thats what i thought i will try to get the thing going but its hard as hell. will try to make a partion at 127 GB useing win7 install DVD and then use Fdisk to format and activate it. i will try and see if that works. i do hope so.

i have learn alot^^

thx thats what i thought i will try to get the thing going but its hard as hell. will try to make a partion at 127 GB useing win7 install DVD and then use Fdisk to format and activate it. i will try and see if that works. i do hope so.

i have learn alot^^

Well, NO, you seemingly have learned nothing (or at least nothing of the advice that I gave, which BTW you are perfectly free  :) to completely ignore).

If you create the partition in Windows 7 (or in the WinPE which is the "thing" used in the setup on the Install DVD) UNLESS you correct alignment values in the Registry you will have a NON VALID partitioning scheme for Windows 98 (which does not mean that it won't work, only that it is NOT what was suggested, and that it is likely, before or later, to cause issues).

Windows 98 should be installed on a partition that is PROPERLY CHS aligned.

Making a Windows 98 System partition 127 Gb in size, while doable, is NOT smart.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/192322

a cluster size of 32 Kb is "huge", and slack on a system volume is likely to be 20% or more:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/partFAT32-c.html

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/partSlack-c.html

jaclaz

ok i will try.

aww i don't even know what to download from thatc list why don't they have one link with it all in.....

please read what i wrote completely, i put a link to the updates and it mentions which updates are official, which ones are unofficial, and which ones are misc in the thread ( not the add on / updates that i listed on the other portion that includes adobe reader 6, flash 11, etc, those may not be in the thread i gave the link to and you will need to find yourself but shouldn't be too hard to find ). most updates can be downloaded in that thread with a dl button but for some, you may have to go to a different site and / or use the wayback machine archive by copying the url and pasting it there. it will take a while to update a fresh windows 98 / 98se machine properly / and because you have to restart the system for almost every update, it will take a few hours but it is well worth it. 

ok. i get my size working, when i did was maybe worng, but fdisk was crap did not work at allf or me. this is the first time for me ever doingosmething like this its hard when u can do some mutch wrong.

but what i did was i formated the disk and insatlled win98. then i had 250 gb.

then i puted my disk on my win7 and used partionMagic to stip the diisk in the size i wanted, i hide the other half, now i have the right size atleast. maybe this is the worng way but it kinda worked for me, i only have 2 pcs and no floppy drive so i can't do mutch more then try... will see if this works out later on.

and "cov3rt" i will try to look at the list one more time. but u missunderstood me.

i can read what is offical and not and all of that, my problem was its like 100+ diffrenmt things. why did they not jag make the list and a setup file that you either choose what you need or are for fresh install. it should not be so hard to do, so what i meant was for me that need to have everything its so mutch so i dopn't even know where to start something like that, but better to start from 1998 and work my way up.

will tell if i get any other problems.

ok even if i get the partions right i still get my problem where i can't turn it off.

if i try to put it to Stand By, it say something to fast to read, then the screen gos black and after 1-2 sec's its back on. so for the only way to turn it of at to let it reset but where it loads the bios or look for the thing i turn it of manuely there....

i ahve no idea why it are like this, i was like this ever seen i installed win98, i know someone of you said i should get 512MB stick i will see if i can get one and see if this problem still are here.

Wow. I can't believe the convoluted crap that's being posted here.

Any socket-478 motherboard with onboard SATA will be perfectly fine to install win-98 on, using SATA drive. Set the bios to SATA mode for the drive. NOT compatible / IDE emulation mode. When you install 98, it will not use ESDI_506.pdr, and hence the drive will be used in DOS-access (16-bit BIOS) mode. Which is OK initially - you will see the entire 250 gb drive just fine. When you install drivers, you will install SATA controller, and it will appear as SCSI adapter in Device manager. After that, the SATA driver will be accessing the drive using 32-bit drivers with full speed DMA access, so you will be fine. This is where win-98 is superior (or easier) than XP when installing to SATA drive - you must use IDE mode in bios or have SATA driver on floppy and ready to give to XP during install.

We have established here that FDISK.exe and Format.com is fine (works correctly) for any drive up to what- 1 tb in size?

I have formatted large SATA drives with FAT32 using third-party tools such that cluser size stays at 4 kb regardless the volume size and win-98 works fine with that - to a point.

The best way to install 98 on a "new" computer is to start with an existing (already running) win-98 system and slave a new drive to it and prepare the drive for the new install by formatting it (format drive so it will boot dos) and then copy win-98 cd to the new drive. Seek out all drivers available for new computer and copy them to new drive. Then take new drive to new computer, set SATA mode in BIOS to Native or "Sata" (NOT compatible or IDE emulation) and boot into DOS, then run win-98 setup.

10 years since having SATA drives and we still don't know how to handle them with win-98?

ok. then i will change back to sata then. its hard to know when you never have dealed with this this before,

but i ahve one pation now at 125 GB and hide the other one. is this ok. are kinda tired to reinstall win98 i ahve already done that liek 5 times.

i just wonna know what i do wrong.

> ok. then i will change back to sata then. its hard to know when you never have dealed with this this before,

> but i ahve one pation now at 125 GB and hide the other one. is this ok. are kinda tired to reinstall win98

> i ahve already done that liek 5 times.

If you have a SATA drive (the drive itself, not a particular volume) that is larger than 128 gb connected to a win-98 system, and:

1) the drive is (or you want it to be) partially or totally formatted as FAT32 (regardless if single or multiple partitions or logical drives)

2) you have or can obtain Win-9x drivers for the SATA controller

Then the motherboard bios should set the drive for Native/Sata mode access, NOT IDE/emulation/compabitlity mode access.

> i just wonna know what i do wrong.

It's not that there is something wrong - there are just easy ways to do things, and hard ways to do things.

Golden rule of thumb for SATA drives and win-98 is that you do not want the native Windows hard drive controller (ESDI_506.pdr) to have ANY involvement with a sata drive that's connected to a win-98 system. There is one exception to this - that you have obtained a modified version of ESDI_506.pdr and replaced the original with the modified one. But doing this during win-98 install can be tricky.

If you have an IDE (aka PATA) drive larger than 127 gb that you want to connect to (or use as a primary drive) for a win-98 system, or if you have a SATA drive larger than 127 gb that you want to use in BIOS IDE/Compabitility mode, the above-mentioned modified ESDI_506.PDR can be used - OR - if the system has certain Intel chipsets, the Intel Application Accelerator software package will replace the faulty ESDI_506.pdr with a different driver that does not have the 128 / 137 GB hard-drive access problem.

Do you already have a working Win-98 system? With SATA port? It really helps to be doing all this (preparing a new windows-98 install) if you already have a working win-98 system.

And oh yea - never install win-98 on a machine with more than 512 mb of ram. After win-98 and all drivers are installed, you can experiment with adding more ram, but just don't start with more than 512 mb during installation.

PS: My memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall having to remove (ie - move or rename) the windows 32-bit floppy driver (hsflop.pdr?) on at least one system because it was causing windows to hang during startup.

The motherboard - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i65G/

A SATA Topic - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149743-question-about-using-a-sata-drive-with-windows-98se/

Post #6 mentions the IAA software, so yes, true it works for GT137gb HDD. You *may* want to install the correct/latest Chipset drivers.

re: "crap" - WHAT? Was jaclaz wrong about "wasted space" per the Cluster Size and the *appropriate* tool and alignment then? IOW, it would be *best* to have two partitions within the limits to prevent this (as he said). So *no* not "crap", unless you *really* want to dispute our resident expert. :crazy:

BTW, google

"windows 98se" sata drivers
pulls MSFN up SECOND on the list. ;)

oo i see. i get a working system, and sadly i don't ahve any lower memory sticks atm. i need to get one.

my main problem i guess now are that i can't shut down my pc it only reset's or black back the desktop if i try to stand by it. i can't get to dos-mode then it resets. ia hev had this problem ever seen i installed windows on it.

i think i get all drivers installed as they should be.

oo what is the recommand sizer for USB?  i only get 16 GB around me can't find my lower ones aka 1-8 GB.

can i get it lower then 16 gb and then it will read it?

cuz my system see the usb but not reads it i can't use it.

Your Computer *should* be able to Boot to a USB Stick, even the 16GB one.

It can be made bootable with RMPrepUSB. Look through this Topic -

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/

This one is a good start for help -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/

The USB has to be *made* Bootable because they aren't provided that way when purchased (made for storage only).

Have you looked at the Pinned Topics here?

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-9x-me/

This one has the "important" topics -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/95815-important-stickified-pinned-959898-seme-topics/

Read these topicsin particular...

Greater than 1gb RAM -

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=118097

HDD Greater than 137gb -

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129027

HTH

Edited by submix8c