Did You Get Windows Update KB3035583 Recently

NoelC

I guess we're supposed to believe that they're the true superheroes of the high tech future and we should accept that we need to be herded in order to get there.

I don' t know :unsure:, I see it slightly differently, there is no doubt whatsoever about the fact that they are were the true superheroes of the high tech future past, and that they were able, one way or the other, to herd us (or the most of us) in what they saw as the future, the point is that it is not written anywhere that a superhero MUST be sane or good, and that he/she CANNOT turn evil in the future...

What if - simply - they are not "emotionally equipped for the job"? :w00t::ph34r:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irredeemable#Creation_and_development

The beauty of Superman is that he can deal with that level of adulation without it going to his head, without it warping him, but he's a very special individual. We presume, whenever we write superheroes and we come up with superhero origins, that anybody who gets the powers of a superhero — even if they are like Spider-Man and they've got things they've got to work out that issue and responsibility and power and responsibility — we assume that they eventually have the emotional makeup it takes to overcome these things. Well, what if you gave that level of power to someone who, at heart, didn't have that emotional capability?[11]

Waid further notes that, "by the classic superhero rules," a hero can't concern themselves with what people think of them, but that if "you are so far removed as to not care what people think of you, it takes one less step to not care what people think."

jaclaz

there is no doubt whatsoever about the fact that they are were the true superheroes of the high tech future past, and that they were able, one way or the other, to herd us (or the most of us) in what they saw as the future

I can't really go along with the first part of that.  We could have been a LOT further along (regarding computing maturity) if the likes of Digital Equipment Corporation could have continued developing THEIR ideals.  I'm still using a Digital keyboard to type this because it is the best that was ever invented.  The only reason Microsoft exists today is that Digital's architect re-implemented their OS design for the PC (as Win NT).  But, being Microsoft, the first thing they did was corrupt the design, and we've suffered with the consequences ever since.

I have never had so much hope for the future of my chosen profession as when I was working with Digital Equipment Corporation systems before about 1985.  The state of the art really seemed to be advancing.

The only thing Microsoft has ever had to compete with was Unix or its derivatives.  Who couldn't win such battles?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'm still using a Digital keyboard to type this because it is the best that was ever invented.  

Maybe :unsure:, but still you'll have to pry out of my dead hands the IBM M keyboard I am writing on, and JFYI ;)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/155361-good-mechanical-pc-keyboard-amigaatari-xl-feeling/?p=989233

No doubt that IF the good digital guys had continued ... they would .... , but they didn't. :(

The MS guys, like them or not, and very possibly with less superpowers, did manage to make it to (almost) "world domination", whether they actually deserved it is of course up for debate, and "What if ..." games are nice and all, but not particularly productive.

Would they be able to worsen so much the OS to the extent  that the lead will be taken by the good Apple or by the good Linux guys?

And if this happens, will the winner (either Apple or Linux or - say - Google or name yourself someone) have any merit, or will this happen only because of MS suicidal decisions?

jaclaz

"Suicidal decisions" - on that we agree.

And yes, the IBM M keyboard was very good.  Perhaps approaching excellent.  Very nearly as good as a Digital LK250.  :whistle:

By the way, I have a Cherry keyboard on my Sol-20.

Processor_Technology_SOL_20_Computer.jpg

Processor%20Tech%20SOL-20.JPG

Sol-20_01.jpg

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I accepted both those updates, on my 64 bit Windows 8.1 installation and my 32 bit one, before I read this thread.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised at the implication that Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to Windows 8.1, as 8.1 was offered for Windows 8.

Of course the reason for that was because 8.1 addressed fundamental deficiencies in Windows 8, but surely that's not the case with Windows 10, or is it?! :lol:

Also, I thought that the received wisdom was that Windows 10 is going to be 64 bit only, so why offer the updates on 32 bit machines?

:)

Honestly, Win 10 seems to address fundamental Efficiencies in Windows 7 and earlier (as in, it wrecks them).

It's really all about Metro/Modern.  All about Windows being for all kinds of different devices.  Well, I think there have been some improvements for gamers, though I don't go there myself.

There have been virtually no advancements in other areas of the system as far as I can see - it's pretty much the same with some different window dressing (the flat, lifeless look permeates it now).  There's been a call far and wide to resurrect Aero Glass, but everything they do seems to be more of a "how little can we get away with" kind of response.  The Start Menu in the current build is NOTHING close to even the worst of its predecessors.  Everything's being implemented in XAML form, which seems to equate more to "plain and featureless" than anything else.

I suggest you find a way to host a virtual machine and run a copy of Win 10 in a VM to see for yourself.  I would NOT suggest replacing a good system with it at this point.

-Noel

Also, I thought that the received wisdom was that Windows 10 is going to be 64 bit only, so why offer the updates on 32 bit machines?

:)

No, it seems like the 32 bit version will be released allright:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/move-tempt-long-standing-users-microsoft-offer-32-bit-version-windows-10

with the usual set of (mindless) 64-bit fans that ask themselves "why?":

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42852/microsofts-windows-10-feature-32-bit-version/index.html

jaclaz 

Edited by jaclaz

I guess it's just Microsoft's way of ensuring that once released everyone is notified, which is not really a bad thing, it's not like what everyone is complaining about is transmitting information back to Redmond or some place else.

I took the update and honestly have no concerns whatsoever about it because the bottom line is when Windows 10 is released, ultimately it's up to me whether I want to upgrade or not and not Microsoft, and if the dll becomes a hassle and keeps notifying me about it, well ....... delete it, problem solved.

I guess it's just Microsoft's way of ensuring that once released everyone is notified, which is not really a bad thing, it's not like what everyone is complaining about is transmitting information back to Redmond or some place else.

I took the update and honestly have no concerns whatsoever about it because the bottom line is when Windows 10 is released, ultimately it's up to me whether I want to upgrade or not and not Microsoft, and if the dll becomes a hassle and keeps notifying me about it, well ....... delete it, problem solved.

The issue here is threefold.

1) The update hints NOWHERE (where it should, i.e. on it's download page or in a connected KB):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

WHAT actually is the scope of the update, the two liner:

This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).

is far too generic to have any meaning.

2) This and/or similar updates, see list here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173752-how-to-avoid-being-upgraded-to-win-10-against-your-will/

ALREADY HIDDEN have been re-pushed effectively overruling a user specific setting, and appeared notwithstanding an explanation about being connected with people that voluntarily have visited the Windows 10 Insider Preview website and selected the Get the Preview button even on machines of people that had nothing to do with this initiative:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172826-windows-10-first-impressions/page-21#entry1097626

3) The "status" in Windows Update of one of these has been reportedly being changed from "optional/recommended" to "priority/important" or similar AND forcibly installed:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172826-windows-10-first-impressions/?p=1097879

It is EXACTLY like having a time-bomb in your system, without knowing IF (or WHEN) it will explode NOR if it is actually a party-pop or a man-killing device.

Very likely the good MS guys will notice notify[1] you before upgrading your system, but what if they don't (or if something goes *somehow* wrong in the notifying system or if anyway a rare situation chain of events triggers a malfunction and no notification is given to you and the update starts, possibly at an unsuitable moment/time of the day or night)  :unsure:

The method is flawed in the design, in the sense that even a 0.01% failure of some kind is likely to affect thousands tens or thousands, hundreds of thousands of machines and additionally it is pretty much undocumented.

What may happen to your personal PC may have very little consequences, in the worst cases you might need to waste a few hours reinstalling from scratch, you may need to re-download a few files that were downloading at the time of the (failed or successful) update, maybe restore a handful of files from a backup, but what may happen on your mom's (or any other not exactly technically savvy user's) PC?

Or on  the other side, what may happen on a corporate network? And to ATM or airport signaling systems?

Most probably nothing to be really scared of, but anyway this kind of update represent something that should be delivered with much better accompanying information and with a set of possibilities to opt-out, to temporarily delay/progrma/plan in advance the actual update, etc. etc.

jaclaz

[1] slip of the fingers :blushing: , corrected.

Edited by jaclaz

Very likely the good MS guys will noti[fy] you before upgrading your system, but what if they don't

You have put your finger RIGHT upon the fundamental problem.

I will point out (again) that systems are by default set to automatically install updates.  How many have changed the defaults?

A grand majority of folks still implicitly trust Microsoft to do right by them.  As well they should - Microsoft has delivered a decent operating system in the past, and for not too much money.

So...  The real question that remains to be answered is, as you have aptly put it:

party-pop or a man-killing device

Microsoft seems just arrogant enough lately that it might not be the former.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

As well they should - Microsoft has delivered a decent operating system in the past, and for not too much money.

But, still, in exchange for some amount of money.

This time the update is free (in the sense that NO money is involved) AND not free (in the sense of seemingly compulsory or at least very much, really very much, suggested/proposed/etc. if not downright forced.). .

Someone said quite some time ago "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes

There must be something to be learned by history, past events and classic literature, if these texts survived all these years, maybe they contain something of value....

jaclaz