Did You Get Windows Update KB3035583 Recently

NoelC

FWIW, I'm getting a permanent icon on my notification area now about the Windows 10 upgrade (I guess designed to start on 06/01).  Basically a download scheduler for an automatic upgrade to Windows 10.  While I don't mind claiming the offline file for upgrade consideration, it looks like they might possibly be total dicks about it and claiming automatic upgrade/scheduler through this app instead of letting you just download it yourself.  We'll see though.   Screen shots to come.

GWX.EXE is the process you need to kill to rid yourself of the notification.

Edited by Glenn9999

Perhaps you should let it happen, or at least let him know that Microsoft is breaking their trust with your company by pushing Win 10 sales BS into your otherwise well-maintained and work-oriented systems.

Microsoft needs to be made to know that this level of aggressive behavior is exactly what people strive to eliminate via anti-malware packages.  It doesn't make it somehow all right that it's Microsoft doing it.

Of course I may underestimate the optimism of the public who think "wait, maybe there really IS such a thing as a free lunch".  :crazy:

-Noel

Repost of some data I added to the Win 10 First Impressions thread, because it's pertinent here in the Win 8 forum too...

3 optional updates have just appeared, awaiting my approval on my Win 8.1 setup...  Red flag emphasis added by me.

KB2976978

• This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB3050267

• A change is made on the log level for %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log to reduce the frequency of certain events from exhausting log space.
  • Fixes an issue for managed computers in which managed computers have to update drivers as a set. Driver sets are not processed by Windows Update during shutdown, and are still available to be installed after you restart the computer.
  • Fixes an issue in which the files of an update may not be found by Windows Update (0x80070002) if the download operation spans multiple sessions.
  • General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

KB3068708

• This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service...
  • [snip]
  • This kind of update helps the overall application experience on Windows, by improving the current operating system for upgrade to the latest version of Windows.
  • [snip]

Given that I want to keep this system on WIn 8.1 until I deem it time to "upgrade", and I'm not at all interested in having Microsoft collect telemetry from me to help THEM, it's pretty clear I will be hiding KB2976978 and KB3068708.  I'll need to do a bit of thinking and more research on whether to allow KB3050267 to come in.

-Noel

FWIW, since you can open the manifest and look at the files involved:

KB2976978 is the application compatibility stuff.  Basically this is what Microsoft does to try and help Windows run more stuff than it might otherwise.  This is basically so they can check whether the Win 10 upgrade will work correctly on the systems it applies to.

KB3050267 is an update to Windows Update itself.

KB3068708 is pretty much as advertised.

Of course, a lot of the problem is that Windows is getting so massive that it's hard for anyone to track everything packaged with it, and especially track the updates in terms of what *exactly* they are updating.

Of course, the problem with a massive closed-source system such as Windows is that no one knows exactly what any of it really does, as it would require much research and reverse-engineering, which no one does because it (convienently) got made illegal.  I wouldn't be surprised if when the whole thing might be revealed that the KB3035583 malware is a light thing compared to the other things the OS does that aren't advertised.