Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

Moor like 2 steps forward and 1 step back, since they come up with this halfmessur

An optimist!  :)

No, I believe MrGRiM had it right.  Windows is certainly not as advanced as it has been in the past.  That implies negative overall progress.  -2 + 1

Everything Microsoft does lately is like, "You stupid users keep complaining that you want ____ back.  Well, we'll show you - here's a cruddy half-baked reimplementation of ____.  Now STFU!"

I've been a whole 24 hours without even looking at a Win 10 system (I've been setting up a new system with Win 7).  Somehow I feel really refreshed by that.

-Noel

Uploaded new experimental build for 10074. Link on the website.

If you want to set frame color, you need to use my Aero Glass GUI. Color settings from new personalization app is not respected.

Nice!  Came right up and worked.

AGon10074.png

Have you thought any more about a way to have the ModernFrame.dll re-color the caption text on Metro/Modern windows?  I do realize I'm on the lunatic fringe using white, but I like it...  :-)

I did notice one small glitch...  As you can see above I have my Taskbar on the top.  When I hover over a button on the Taskbar the top part of the screen goes black briefly.  I managed to catch it in action in this screen grab...

AGGlitch.png

In about 1 second after seeing the above it clears up and shows the Taskbar Live Preview normally.  It might just be happening during the transition when the preview from the prior button is being faded to the one for the current button.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

NoelC said --

In about 1 second after seeing the above it clears up and shows the Taskbar Live Preview normally.  It might just be happening during the transition when the preview from the prior button is being faded to the one for the current button.

Comment --  I tried to replicate that behaviour on my machine, but without success.

This black rectangle appears when switching between taskbar previews even without my Aero Glass.

Probably just a glitch in 10074 then.  Thanks for checking.  It's all new together...

-Noel

Are you running 10074 in a virtual machine, or bare metal? I found that installing clean to bare metal was better than even installing via imagex to a VHD, then setting it to boot straight to the VHD.

Edited by dhjohns

I have 10074 only in a VM.  I had 10061 Enterprise on hardware for a while but that hardware has since been used for a Win 7 install.

-Noel

From what I understand VMWare (I assume you are using that) has only experimental support for Windows 10, so that would probably be the issue.  I tried the taskbar all around with multiple windows open, and minimized, and could not replicate that behavior at all.

If you want to set frame color, you need to use my Aero Glass GUI. Color settings from new personalization app is not respected.

Start menu glitches when blur effect is applied (value bigger than 0)

Btw, you can still change the colors of window borders from control panel while aero glass is applied :)

Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Change the color of your taskbar and window borders

I'm sure they will remove this completely in a future build and/or they will add more options or something similar in the new control panel (settings app), idk...

10074colors.jpg

Edited by Tusticles

From what I understand VMWare (I assume you are using that) has only experimental support for Windows 10, so that would probably be the issue.  I tried the taskbar all around with multiple windows open, and minimized, and could not replicate that behavior at all.

Believe it or not after a reboot that problem is now gone for me too.  Maybe they slipped an update in. 

VMware's support for Win 10 is actually pretty good.

I've been refining my theme atlas.  I found some mistakes in it, and I'm trying to set up to handle any active window color, not just blue, but I find it difficult to get quite enough color in the border without pushing the opacity up, and I like things to be mostly translucent.

This works with 10074.  Let me know what you think.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/10074/RoundedCorners.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Start menu glitches when blur effect is applied (value bigger than 0)

Btw, you can still change the colors of window borders from control panel while aero glass is applied :)

Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Change the color of your taskbar and window borders

I'm sure they will remove this completely in a future build and/or they will add more options or something similar in the new control panel (settings app), idk...

10074colors.jpg

Nothing like that is in my copy of Windows Insider Preview Build 10074!