POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Dave-H and dencorso - you're right as always.  KB4025398 installed on July 14.  Well, MS catalog updates shows it with update date Aug 28, 2017,  Is this an updated update?

Thoughts on my security certificate warnings?

4 minutes ago, glnz said:

Dave-H and dencorso - you're right as always.  KB4025398 installed on July 14.  Well, MS catalog updates shows it with update date Aug 28, 2017,  Is this an updated update?

Thoughts on my security certificate warnings?

Hi earlier one with same kb number has msinfo32.exe where as new has just msinfo32. dll .

Seems to be pretty weird 

Only KB4025398 available from 08/28/2017 in the WSUS catalog, no update of the file msinfo32.exe version 5.1.2600.7292 more possible!
The original update of KB4025398 (07/10/2017) updated the msinfo32.exe file, not msinfo.dll.

Also definitely identical file for security update to the msinfo.dll present in the system. :blink:

kb4025398.jpg

Update:
A test at WU / MU brought the result the KB4025398 no longer offered (Why also)!

Strange!? :dubbio:

:)

Edited by heinoganda

dencorso - thanks for your link to cisco umbrella root, which I have now installed.  (And I will ask for it next time I have Thai food.)

However, on my trusty old Outlook Express 6, the week-old email from Network Solutions still throws an error related to its certificate even though, now, the top level of that error (for the Cisco authority root) is now OK.  In fact it seems all levels are OK but I still get an error message:  "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site."  That name seems to be or include    *.opendns.com       .

Unfortunately, a week ago I could NOT upload anything here to show you.  Same now for my new effort to upload an export of that odd certificate error.  Is there a way to upload here?

Also, are there other good Certificate Authorities I should now install manually?  I get the feeling that we need to do that a bit.

Thanks as always.

den - yes - FF 52.3.0 seems to be working OK.

The certificate problem occurs more frequently in Outlook Express when i move to certain emails.

Just wondering why I continue to get certificate warnings from those emails from Network Solutions, and whether we XP users need to do some more manual installation of good certificate sources.

Edited by glnz

Last update here was Security Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4034034) on August 10th.

WRT certificates, I haven't got a clue about them.  Are they something I ought to know anything about? (running Sp4)

I am about to install Xp4 on a new machine. Do I install Windows XPSp3 first, and then run Windows Xp-USP4-v3.1b-x86-ENU.exe?

Is the file Windows XP-USP4-v3.1b-x86-ENU.exe:Zone.Identifier something I have to install or is it something that SP4 handle all by itself?

it's a long time since last I Installed SP4.

It turned out like installing Sp4 was very straightforward.

But I  got a very puzzling and sinister problem today:

I have three machines, one that's been running faithfully for years, and two other that I've been building in a couple of spare cabinets, with new ASUS motherboards. I had expected to be able to finalize the job today, just inserting a disk drive and installing XP. But what happens is that I am unable to get sound out of the machines. I am as always installing Musicmatch Jukebox and I've never experienced any problems with that. But today , on all three of my machines I am unable to get even the slightest squeak out of them. I've never experienced anything like it, Not only the two machines I  worked on yesterday, but also the machine that I've had running for several years with very few problems that could not be fixed.  I feel like I've got to give up and buy a new machine, but hows do I determine if the machine will run Windows XP? Anyone have any experience with that? I tend to think that ASUS machines might be good candidates for XP but I've never tried that before.

Edited by Roffen
Typo fix

I'm getting security alerts popping up when I read some e-mails on Eudora 7.1.
They say "the name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site".
If I dismiss them everything carries on fine.
Viewing the certificate and installing it seems to make no difference.
The one I'm looking at at the moment is issued to *.stackpathdns.com and I'm wondering if the wildcard asterisk is the problem.
:dubbio: