Windows 98 SE in-depth questions

oerg866

Ahoy,

I've been trying to play around with my Windows 98 CD recently, and I found some things that I want to do with it. So here are a few questions! :P

1) I've specifically disabled the license agreement in MS BATCH 98. Why does it still show the dialog?

2) How do you slipstream U98SESP3 properly? I have tried it with infInstall, Windows identified itself as ME after copying the files and rebooting, and crashed halfway throughout hardware detection.

2.5) When I install U98SESP3 *manually*, it cannot find some files (regardless of what machine I try it on, they're always the same, e.g. TRIEDIT.DLL). If I keep hammering "OK", it will copy them just fine... However, if I use INFEX.EXE it does it properly. Now the question is either: "How can I fix this problem?" or "How can I automate the use of INFEX.EXE and have it install SP3?".

3) Speaking of which, I'm including a lot of drivers in my installation (or rather, want to). It has the annoying problem that many drivers share the same file names for system files. What would you think is the best way of fixing that?

4) The 2nd setup phase consists mostly of hardware detection. After I do some file copying / management using RunOnce in MSBATCH.inf, I want to trigger this setup step from a batch file or a VB6/C++ program. Is this possible or can I otherwise make it redetect ALL hardware? (Preferrably not by deleting the entire ENUM key in the registry...)

5) Is there a way to make Windows look in specific folders for drivers automatically (like, a list of directory it searches in in the registry that I can just add all my driver folders too in post-install batch scripts?)

6) Also, What is the correct registry key for RunOnce? HKLM\Software\Microsoft\RunOnce or HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce?

That should cover me for now =P

Cheers.

1 - MSBATCH.INF requires some manually added parameters that the "MSBATCH 98" program doesn't add. These are more OEM-oriented and the program doesn't do them "properly".

Here is a "sample" that would need modified. Compare it to yours. It also indicates a method of adding Drivers.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149231-trying-to-use-infinst-to-add-drivers-to-win-98-install/page-2

2 - I have no clue as to Slipstreaming the USP. I haven't actually tested it yet, even though I have the file.

3/4/5 - See -1- above

6 - The second way (also see -1- above)

HTH

Edited by submix8c

The initial version of advpack.dll is too old and misses the API mentioned in the error box, while during setup it is being replaced with a newer one that allows the command to be executed...? Dunno, just guessing.

Find Dll Details here, run it, drag both versions of advapi.dll onto it and check the Exports section.

If I'm right, you may have to slipstream the newer library onto the installation media to be used instead of the old one. Don't ask me how to do that, slipstreaming is not my expertise.

Edited by Drugwash

May I ask (in addition to the post suggestion by Drugwash above)...

5361c9cc9477d.png

The same command executed after setup works fine... any ideas?

...WHAT command?

As to Drugwash's suggestion, -however- the slipstream works, test it out by simply placing it in the WIN98/Install folder before CD/DVD "burn (or whatever method you use). -Usually- a given file in the Install Folder overrides one within a CAB file.

At first opportunity, I'll do a test case to see what the problem may be as it only runs under 98SE(?).

edit - odd! According to this

http://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65

(yes, I "spoiled" it due to potential forum "problems")

Instructions:

Prerequisites:

Minimum 64 MB of RAM for Main Updates.
160 MB free hard disk space for (ALL) options.

Installation Guide:
(* = Optional)

[1] Install Windows 98 Second Edition (with or without 98lite).*
[2] Install all drivers for your hardware.
[3] Install Internet Explorer (any version).*
[4] Install latest DirectX 9c.*
[5] Install latest Service Pack 3.x (Main Updates).*
[6] Install optional components of Service Pack 3.x.*
[7] Install MS Office.*
[8] Install KernelEx, 98SE2ME, Revolution Pack.*
even though this

http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/

clearly indicates "Semi-slipstreaming support" (whatever that means).

Edited by submix8c

I've performed a comparison between the versions of advpack.dll on the 98SE CD and SP3 v3.33. The difference is the former is linked to ntdll.dll while the latter links to msvcrt.dll. Oddly (or not), I couldn't unpack msvcrt.dl_ from the 98SE CD, which seems to be compressed with the old Diamond ot something (header says SZDD, didn't look it up). Therefore I can't check if it exports the required APIs.

Also, the newer advpack.dll from SP3 calls a few extra APIs in kernel32.dll and user32.dll, compared to the old one. Dunno if that's part of the problem. Thing is, both of them export LaunchInfSection so the problem may be somewhere else. Unfortunately I don't have the means to debug this. :(

I couldn't unpack msvcrt.dl_ from the 98SE CD, which seems to be compressed with the old Diamond ot something (header says SZDD, didn't look it up). Therefore I can't check if it exports the required APIs. :(

Presumably you can use expand.exe to decompress this file.

HUH???

Why would it be there on a "raw" (untouched) 98SE CD? It's actually UNCOMPRESSED inside of WIN98_63.CAB.

Something funny going on here. Is that after your "slipstream"? (working on this "problem" now.)

I repeat - WHAT command? Is this something that you've added via RunOnce?

I couldn't unpack msvcrt.dl_ from the 98SE CD, which seems to be compressed with the old Diamond ot something (header says SZDD, didn't look it up). Therefore I can't check if it exports the required APIs. :(

Presumably you can use expand.exe to decompress this file.

I had tried that at the least, seeing it was right next to the said file. Won't budge.

HUH???

Why would it be there on a "raw" (untouched) 98SE CD? It's actually UNCOMPRESSED inside of WIN98_63.CAB.

No idea. My files are actually on HDD, I've copied them over years ago when working with soporific on one of his projects. Timestamp is Jan 31 1999 while most other files and cabs are April 24 1999. It jumped at me first, didn't bother to search the cabs as I presumed it must be there for a reason and while being there it might actually be used sometime in the process.

Thank you, Den, haven't got the time to search around - I'm a little bit swamped right now. I'll see what UnSzdd can do.

Anyway, since a compressed file (presumably) belongs to the installation and might be used in the process, there should at least theoretically be a tool to uncompress such file right in that package/media. Possibly bundled inside some other executable.

Coming along nicely now, thanks to your MSBATCH tips. DX9 gets installed automatically, as well as SP3 and NUSB... I did that by writing a registry key to "Run" (not runonce, that would be executed by setup and thus wouldn't work), that installs NUSB, which in turn adds a RunOnce that executes SP3 setup using an AutoIt script and INFEX.EXE. So far so good. Now for the drivers.

If I use the custom driver folder stuff, It detects NO devices at all. Seriously, all devices in device manager are unknown devices.

If I tack "C:\WINDOWS\INF" and "C:\WINCD" (my win cd folder) on to it, I get a MSGSVR32 error in COMMCTRL.DLL during setup.

Edited by oerg866

I'll provide a little assist with your Source files later (will edit this Post). NOW we know why you have that file. Please note that I was also one that assisted soporific on two projects. (See Autopatcher 98SE thread, and note that the MSBATCH is from UBCD98SE and that thread has been removed.)

Rationale? Simply a "clean" source, since USP specifically states the Install Sequence AND Requirements (NO OTHER UPDATE PACKS). You COULD have some extraneous files in it. ;)

edit - Drivers are are different subject. I'll try to help, since the UBCD thread is gone (do NOT ask why, just accept it). The Driver Packages from the Vendor would need "unpacked AND certain INF files may need modified for the MSBATCH to find them AND the general method is to COPY them to HDD (from CD) for the MSBATCH to point to. There is a method via a BAT file (AFAICR).

edit2 - Lucky you! Here they are (archived from Soporific/MDGx website)!

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/W98driverPacksFromUBCD/

This is the Original Driver Pack thread here -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/98369-driver-packs-for-windows-959898seme/

NOTE that the Installation STILL requires the "method". We'll get to that but this will give you an idea (the files are self-extracting RAR's).

win98se_files.txt

Edited by submix8c

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion","OtherDevicePath",,"C:\WINCD\DRIVER\_USB0;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\ATARAID0;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\ATARAID1;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\ATARAID2;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\AUDIO0;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\AUDIO1;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\AUDIO2;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\AUDIO3;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\AUDIO4;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\CHIPSET0;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\GFX0;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\GFX1;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\GFX2;C:\WINCD\DRIVER\LAN0"

This is the registry entry btw....

When this is inserted, even if I only use one test path, the installation crashes... And also if I do this registry entry after installation, it crashes too when i do "Update Driver" on something...

Edited by oerg866

OK...

First - RAID??? On 98SE???

Second - ONLY a Driver can be installed this way - NOT any accompanying Support Programs (eg Nvidia Control Panel). Support Programs MUST be installed via RunOnce (after reboot) -OR- Manually! An example of this is Audio for ALC Package has BOTH the Driver AND the SoundManagerSoftware/AVrack that I had to extract them separately.

Third - What the heck do you have with so MANY combos? IF any Driver File/Module has a SAME NAME, then you WILL get a Mix-And Match and FAILURE!

Take a look at the "README.TXT" file in the link I gave for some more specifics on the INF mods necessary.

Also, it would be REALLY nice to know WHAT is showing up as "Unknown Device" and/or those with "?" next to them in Devicer Manager in ADDITION to what your Hardware is. "Install Crashes" doesn't tell me anything. Working "in the dark" here...

Slightly O/T - I used my personal UBCD ISO/CD in a VM and it works flawlessly.

Edited by submix8c