Cursors for Win98 SE

CharlesF

With the help of Revolutions Pack 9, we can improve a lot Win 9x look.

We can skin the GUI and change the icons.

So, does anyone has got nice Cursors set, compatible with Win 9x?

That is, sweet but not to heavy ;) .

:lol: You're right

but never mind, Thx for the help!

I have search several times with Google, but it is actually hard to find some cool set that doesn't make a problem

because transparency and shadowing are not supported.

There used to be Desktop Themes long time ago. They contained cursor schemes, sounds, wallpapers. For a long time I've used on my computers the cursor scheme from the Mariah Carey theme - a very nicely drawn animated butterfly. After a long time I discovered there was an inconsistency in the color depth between frames which sometimes froze the system.

Cursors are essentially bitmaps. Static ones can be created from standard bitmaps by simply changing extension to .cur and setting the hotspot with a hex editor. Or something like that - I already forgot.

The stability thing may be quite true for Win95. I remember having such problems when I used 95OSR2 after Win3.1. Those butterfly cursors came from a Desktop Theme designed for Win95 Plus!, if I recall correctly. System used to freeze often and needed reboot.

However, 98SE and later aren't so sensible; I settled for the standard Animated scheme long ago in my 98SE and never had any problems. Animation is a good visual feedback while waiting for an ongoing operation to finish or show the process is hung.

Still, cursors do have quite strict requirements in the 9x OS family. I've worked on a project where I needed to create cursors from resources. For the life of me, I never managed to get animated cursors work in such situation, but only when loaded from file on disk. There must be some trick involved, if at all possible.

Oh well, sorry for digressing.