USB Flash Drivers for 98SE

HoppaLong

And yet *another* alternative in a freebie offered by RLoew on his Prerelease and Beta Software page!

For the record BOTH drivers .sys and .pdr are EXACTLY the same, there are only some (it seems to me like very marginal, i.e. related to the driver name in the GUI ) differences in the .inf install file, not really "an alternative", but rather "another copy".

And still for the record, these are "plain" and "language independent" USB drivers for 98, while NUSB is a more complete (and complex) set of files including a full USB stack, and - at least last time I tested it - seemed like "language dependent".

jaclaz

Sure. NUSB is language dependent, and there are versions of it for other languages at the link given by Flasche.

But the point is: there's absolutely no problem for using USB Mass Storage Devices on Windows 98SE at all !!!

And yet *another* alternative in a freebie offered by RLoew on his Prerelease and Beta Software page!

For the record BOTH drivers .sys and .pdr are EXACTLY the same, there are only some (it seems to me like very marginal, i.e. related to the driver name in the GUI ) differences in the .inf install file, not really "an alternative", but rather "another copy".

And still for the record, these are "plain" and "language independent" USB drivers for 98, while NUSB is a more complete (and complex) set of files including a full USB stack, and - at least last time I tested it - seemed like "language dependent".

jaclaz

It is exactly what I stated it was supposed to be. A Generic Mass Storage Driver. It was never intended to be be a full USB Stack.

It is not "another copy" as the original was not configured as a Generic Driver. The INF is an integral part of a Driver Package.

Most of the work I did was selecting the best Driver from a whole collection of Manufacturer Specific USB Drivers that I had. Many of them had eccentricities that made them not work with various Devices.

It is a perfectly valid "alternative" to NUSB if you only need to add a Generic Mass Storage Driver.

Edited by rloew

Sure :), what I said is that the driver on your page is not a "full" alternative to the NUSB (which as said is more complete and complex and prone -in my experience - to install issue on localized non-english Windows), and that it is also in NO WAY different for all practical purposes from the already posted "alternative driver".

in BOTH the "Wintricks" and the "R.Loew" packages, JDUSBMS.SYS and JDUSBPD.PDR are the SAME Lexar drivers.

in BOTH there is an edited .inf:

1. First posted has a .inf edited by Sergio Neddi to become "generic", i.e. USB\Class_08&SubClass_02&Prot_50
  2. Second has a .inf edited by Rudolph Loew to become "generic", i.e. USB\Class_08&SubClass_02&Prot_50

The end effect to the user is exactly the SAME, the only difference being that on one it may be seen "WinTricks Generic USB Mass Storage Driver Disk" and on the other either of "Generic USB Mass Storage MS" or "Generic USB Mass Storage PD", and the "Provider" is in one "Wintricks" and in the other "RLoew".

BOTH are - being essentially the same thing - an alternative to the "full" NUSB, but evidently they are not alternatives to each other, they are two slightly different versions of the SAME driver and BOTH are "generic" and will "attach" themselves to USB\Class_08&SubClass_02&Prot_50

Most of the work I did was selecting the best Driver from a whole collection of Manufacturer Specific USB Drivers that I had. Many of them had eccentricities that made them not work with various Devices.

And that is exactly the same work that Sergio Neddi did independently, as you can see in the (rough) translation of the original article here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/2411-universal-win98-usb-mass-storage-driver/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK. OK. OK. Now... wasn't there an "Orangeware" driver, too, which is also generic?

There are several "Orangeware drivers", these are "chipset drivers":

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/69192-usb-2-sis-chipset/?p=517622

I cannot remember of "Orangeware" drivers for "generic" USB Mass Storage. :unsure:

Are we going to re-invent the NUSB from scratch? :w00t:

Just in case ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143253-windows-98se-with-98se2me-and-a-recent-usb-composite-device/

jaclaz

Are we going to re-invent the NUSB from scratch? :w00t:

No. I don't think so... RetroOS's discovery was already incorporated by M-D in v. 3.5. For some reason I cannot fathom, our good friends at www.technical-assistance.co.uk seem to have lost all interest in NUSB, but their page, clearly needing some maintenance, still is the source for NUSB v.3.3 and a great number of localized versions of NUSB. Note one'll get a full page of warnings about missing components on the page... but it's OK, by just scrolling down, one'll find the links to NUSB.

Just in case:

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.4 (= nusb34e) was never released, for some reason. Just like nusb33e, nusb36e supports only mass storage devices, but some composite devices were added, since ver.3.5. No scanners or printers whatsoever are supported.

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.5 (MD5: 86073921EBDAB9B75F4F50847E85CEFE CRC32: 6CA5320E)

What's new?

*OPENHCI.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*UHCD.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*USBHUB.SYS 4.90.3002.1

*USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585

*USB.INF 01.01 ( LoneCrusader)

*USBSTOR.INF 01.10dt (dencorso, add new devices)

*USB2.INF 01.01 (MD, add new devices)

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.6

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo

and videocameras and other similar devices.

*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.

2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.

3.Remove ALL USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers and devices.

4.Remove ALL unknown devices.

5.Install NUSB 3.6 and reboot.

6.After detection new USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers (if it will occur) too it is necessary to reboot.

Remember! You install it at own risk!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's new?

* SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 - for auto install driver at insertion of the new flash devices

*USB.INF 01.02 (MD, exclude "CopyFiles" sections )

*USB2.INF 01.02 (MD, add new devices (Intel, ATI), exclude "CopyFiles" sections)

*NTMAP.INF 01.01 (MD, exclude "CopyFiles" sections )

*USBNTMAP.SYS 01.03 (MD, exclude "CopyFiles" sections )

*USBSTOR.INF 01.11a (MD, Problemchyld, add new devices, exclude "CopyFiles" sections )

*QV2KUX.SYS - (Problemchyld, for Casio)

The site www.technical-assistance.co.uk did not look like that a couple of days ago :huh:

True. In fact it looked very good at least from early 2007 up to a couple of days ago. It may even be some transient quirck...

But, since I went there to check just as I was writing the above reply, I noticed it, and decided to mention it, in the hopes of helping to prevent people from getting scared away because of it.

True. In fact it looked very good at least from early 2007 up to a couple of days ago. It may even be some transient quirck...

But, since I went there to check just as I was writing the above reply, I noticed it, and decided to mention it, in the hopes of helping to prevent people from getting scared away because of it.

Good to know that it is not just me who was having issues. First it was Msfn on my vista then I thought now tech assist on Me. I was going to go ballistic soon.

Sure :), what I said is that the driver on your page is not a "full" alternative to the NUSB (which as said is more complete and complex and prone -in my experience - to install issue on localized non-english Windows), and that it is also in NO WAY different for all practical purposes from the already posted "alternative driver".

in BOTH the "Wintricks" and the "R.Loew" packages, JDUSBMS.SYS and JDUSBPD.PDR are the SAME Lexar drivers.

in BOTH there is an edited .inf:

• First posted has a .inf edited by Sergio Neddi to become "generic", i.e. USB\Class_08&SubClass_02&Prot_50
  • Second has a .inf edited by Rudolph Loew to become "generic", i.e. USB\Class_08&SubClass_02&Prot_50
I never said it was a "full" alternative to NUSB, but it is a "full" alternative with respect to the OP's question.

I was not aware of the "Wintricks" alternative until you mentioned it today. If you check my timestamps, I created my version at least 18 Months before the Wintricks Version was posted to MSFN. Also I don't read Italian.

It's OK! What's really important is to have alternatives. The fact that both RLoew and S. Neddi eneded up deciding to use Lexar drivers as the base for their generic drivers independently from one another only shows it was a good choice. Probably even the best possible choice at the time. Then there arrived NUSB and it was fated to become the most known option, at first, and then it also became more comprehensive, in its later iterations.

I was not aware of the "Wintricks" alternative until you mentioned it today. If you check my timestamps, I created my version at least 18 Months before the Wintricks Version was posted to MSFN. Also I don't read Italian.

Well, if you go by timestamps, the Wintricks modified driver was published before you made your own, as said these are independently reached SAME effects, and they are not "alternatives to each other", they are the SAME thing, made independently by two different people in two different countries.

What I was trying to explain (evidently failing) was that IF someone installs the "Wintricks" driver and for *whatever* reasons it does not work on the specific machine/install, uninstalling it and installing the "RLoew" driver won't change ANYTHING, because the driver is the SAME and "attaches" to the SAME class of devices.

As such they are NOT "alternatives" to each other.

The "Wintricks" driver is a (partial) alternative to NUSB.

The "Rloew" driver is a (partial) alternative to NUSB.

They are both the SAME (partial) alternative to NUSB.

jaclaz

OK, OK! So I stand corrected. Let whoever reads the above assertive instead read it: "And yet *another* variant, independently developed by RLoew, of the *same* alternative jaclaz has provided a link to (viz. the "Wintricks" driver).