China sells Bottled Air to tourists

ZortMcGort11

China is offering a breath of fresh air to tourists affected by its high pollution levels with plans to sell bottles of oxygen.

In an attempt to address its dangerous smog levels - described as an environmental crisis by the World Health Organisation - canned air is due to hit the streets.

The bottles of air will to be manufactured as part of a tourism scheme by authorities in the southwestern Guizhou province.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2588788/China-sells-BOTTLED-AIR-tourists.html

China is offering a breath of fresh air to tourists affected by its high pollution levels with plans to sell bottles of oxygen.

In an attempt to address its dangerous smog levels - described as an environmental crisis by the World Health Organisation - canned air is due to hit the streets.

The bottles of air will to be manufactured as part of a tourism scheme by authorities in the southwestern Guizhou province.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2588788/China-sells-BOTTLED-AIR-tourists.html

This is really sad, and pathetic. I wouldn't be shocked if Chinese cities started keeling over from such pollution.

I'm not so sure. I suspect there may be some health problems in a few years. I recently found out that the "Steel Cities" of the US were in much worse states than the smog we see in China. There was pollution to the point where day time looked like night. Here are some stories about Pittsburgh:

http://www.popularpittsburgh.com/pittsburgh-info/pittsburgh-history/darkhistory.aspx

And the photos I saw:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/arts-and-lifestyle/2012/06/what-pittsburgh-looked-when-it-decided-it-had-pollution-problem/2185/

anything regarding PRC makes me vomit

whenever I enter a supermarket, like 60% products there are **** chinese crap

and worst thing its distributers are trying to hide it

big large letters "imported from Holland"

at the bottom tiny tiny small letters "origin PRC"

god **** you !

whole world will become china soon

I live literally nowhere, ultra small town can be called village, and we got 4 **** chinese stores here

naturally with **** chinese inside it

and like everywhere they are illegaly here, but since mob pays of my s***ty goverment, the suddenly have

legal visas, personal ID cards, everything

Edited by vinifera

I'm not so sure. I suspect there may be some health problems in a few years. I recently found out that the "Steel Cities" of the US were in much worse states than the smog we see in China. There was pollution to the point where day time looked like night. Here are some stories about Pittsburgh:

http://www.popularpittsburgh.com/pittsburgh-info/pittsburgh-history/darkhistory.aspx

And the photos I saw:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/arts-and-lifestyle/2012/06/what-pittsburgh-looked-when-it-decided-it-had-pollution-problem/2185/

And let's not forget the Cuyahoga River, at one time one of the most polluted rivers in the United States famous for being "the river that caught fire", resulting in the Clean Water Act and the creation of the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

The Cuyahoga River is located in Northeast Ohio in the United States and feeds Lake Erie. The river is famous for being "the river that caught fire," helping to spur the environmental movement in the late 1960s.

The Cuyahoga River at one time was one of the most polluted rivers in the United States. The reach from Akron to Cleveland was devoid of fish. A 1968 Kent State University symposium described one section of the river:

From 1,000 feet below Lower Harvard Bridge to Newburgh and South Shore Railroad Bridge, the channel becomes wider and deeper and the level is controlled by Lake Erie. Downstream of the railroad bridge to the harbor, the depth is held constant by dredging, and the width is maintained by piling along both banks. The surface is covered with the brown oily film observed upstream as far as the Southerly Plant effluent. In addition, large quantities of black heavy oil floating in slicks, sometimes several inches thick, are observed frequently. Debris and trash are commonly caught up in these slicks forming an unsightly floating mess. Anaerobic action is common as the dissolved oxygen is seldom above a fraction of a part per million. The discharge of cooling water increases the temperature by 10 °F (5.6 °C) to 15 °F (8.3 °C). The velocity is negligible, and sludge accumulates on the bottom. Animal life does not exist. Only the algae Oscillatoria grows along the piers above the water line. The color changes from gray-brown to rusty brown as the river proceeds downstream. Transparency is less than 0.5 feet in this reach. This entire reach is grossly polluted.

At least 13 fires have been reported on the Cuyahoga River, the first occurring in 1868. The largest river fire in 1952 caused over $1 million in damage to boats and a riverfront office building. Fires erupted on the river several times between the 1952 fire and June 22, 1969, when a river fire that day captured the attention of Time magazine, which described the Cuyahoga as the river that "oozes rather than flows" and in which a person "does not drown but decays". The fire did eventually spark major changes as well as the article from Time, but in the immediate aftermath very little attention was given to the incident. Furthermore, the conflagration that sparked Time's outrage was in June 1969, but the pictures they displayed on the cover and as part of the article were from the much more dangerous 1952 fire. No pictures from the 1969 fire are known to exist.

The 1969 Cuyahoga River fire helped spur an avalanche of water pollution control activities, resulting in the Clean Water Act, Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement, and the creation of the federal Environmental Protection Agency and theOhio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA). As a result, large point sources of pollution on the Cuyahoga have received significant attention from the OEPA in recent decades. These events are referred to in Randy Newman's 1972 song "Burn On," R.E.M.'s 1986 song "Cuyahoga," and Adam Again's 1992 song "River on Fire." Great Lakes Brewing Company of Cleveland, Ohio named their Burning River Pale Ale after the event.

When I lived in Cleveland, it was a joke that the river was so polluted that - "Walking on water is no big deal, anybody can do it." :)

Cheers and Regards

From the Pittsburgh article:

Control of coal smoke made it possible to clean soot-covered buildings and to re-plant hillsides, helping provide the city a look it could hardly envision in the depths of its industrial heyday.
Everything was probably soot covered, judging by those photos.

anything regarding PRC makes me vomit

QFT! Makes me miss the 1980s and 1990s! Even during most of the 1990s, it wasn't this bad!

At least it wasn't a pandemic invasion...

It's gotten to the point where I'm saying "enough!". A.K.A., gotten to the point where I'm putting my foot down!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

First off omgsh Acorn men, handing out air bottles, where are you Lina Inverse Batman MacGuyver?

It is an easy solution. All of these places just have to look at previous clean up efforts, like the one from "Chicago" for example, and just mimic them. I honestly think, that this is just a way of turning people, into self-imprisoned state of mind, like a house of hens, for example.

It is obvious, with all the policies and disagreements, between people. Everybody seems to ignore the problem. They just call it success. Shipping from China seems to be super duper cheap, then shipping from a European nation.

Edited by ROTS

Shipping from China seems to be super duper cheap, then shipping from a European nation.

that's because they stiff thousands of little china men into ships and make them work there while they sail toward mainland

by the time they come, all the crap with ultra cheap force is done

while any other normal nation uses normal factories with normal material

I wouldn't be surprised if soon I buy coffee and little chinaman jumps out and offers me their sugar cube

disgusting

Shipping from China seems to be super duper cheap, then shipping from a European nation.

that's because they stiff thousands of little china men into ships and make them work there while they sail toward mainland

by the time they come, all the crap with ultra cheap force is done

while any other normal nation uses normal factories with normal material

I wouldn't be surprised if soon I buy coffee and little chinaman jumps out and offers me their sugar cube

disgusting

It's called business. The same thing happened in America during the late 1800s and early 1900s. It never really ended but just moved to a place out of regulation (US).