Windows 2000 on Haswell?

AnX

Sorry for the misunderstanding: I meant: to patch usbvideo.sys that it works with w2k wmi structure or even works without wmi at all. I thought this could be done by wiping the wmi calls out of the usbvideo.sys file, so it works like it "believes" xp wmi structure would exist. In this case, no other drivers or kernel should be modded, only usbvideo.sys.

Another approach is perhaps to give up UVC / usbvideo.sys and use usbcamd2.sys. I found no problems with this file in dependency walker, but usbvideo.inf cannot be used for install. Is there a general INF file available which could be used for trying usbcamd2.sys?

Third possibility: Generally, I find it very interesting, that original w2k usbaudio.sys works perfectly with UVC (I installed external usb web cam with microphone, audio works), but usbvideo.sys is not present in w2k. Perhaps an early xp beta version of usbvideo.sys could work in w2k? (I tried yet: 5.1.2600.2180, 5512 and  6425).

I managed to boot with halmps.dll and ntkrpamp.exe in pae mode on intel i7 haswell notebook after copying kernel files ntdll.dll and kernel32.dll from driver.cab into w2k system. Now, taskmgr shows two processors instead of one. The system is working, but ps2 mouse and keyboard don´t work. Attaching external usb mouse works. Internal mouse shows ressource conflict with IRQ 12, which affects keyboard, too , but I cannot change the irq configuration, although I´m in standard pc - mode. Furthermore, there are some strange irq enumerations with irq 112, I never saw three-digit irq numbers before in w2k.

Edited by JosefReisinger

Success update: After changing devmgr Computer-type into MPS Multiprocessor PC, the system also boots successfully into safe mode. This has to be done manually after copying multiprocessor hal and kernel files.

Success update 2: After deactivation of ps/2 mouse in device manager the internal keyboard works again. So the only thing which has to be given up for the gain of multiprocessor system in pae mode on intel i7 haswell notebook is internal ps2 touchpad (I use external usb mouse now). This could be the reason why windows 2000 refused to install in multiprocessor mode - it did not find mouse.

After this, I tried to change hal into halmacpi, but this did not work again. Lets wait and see...

Greetings Joe

Success update: After changing devmgr Computer-type into MPS Multiprocessor PC, the system also boots successfully into safe mode. This has to be done manually after copying multiprocessor hal and kernel files.

Success update 2: After deactivation of ps/2 mouse in device manager the internal keyboard works again. So the only thing which has to be given up for the gain of multiprocessor system in pae mode on intel i7 haswell notebook is internal ps2 touchpad (I use external usb mouse now). This could be the reason why windows 2000 refused to install in multiprocessor mode - it did not find mouse.

After this, I tried to change hal into halmacpi, but this did not work again. Lets wait and see...

Greetings Joe

Very good :thumbup

The conflict on the PS/2 port is "strange", however traditionally 2K has a tendency (whenever *anything* is not exactly as it expects) to start creating "crazy" IRQ/resources conflicts (often very difficult to solve, if possible at all).

jaclaz

Thanks!

Really strange! PS/2 port mouse complains about "IRQ 12 not available", but irq shared UAA bus driver for high definition audio has no problem with irq 12. Also deactivation of UAA bus driver does not change the behavior of ps2 mouse.

IRQ issues are very tough to pinpoint and troubleshoot, there are so many variables in the *whatever* that causes their assignments that it is often impossible to solve them, especially on a laptop as usually these have a somehow "reduced/locked" BIOS and of course you can not make experiments disconnecting/recoonecting cards/devices.

Usually (but not always) the "internal" PS/2 pointing device is "connected" with the keyboard (and that would be IRQ1

http://www.sebsworld.net/information/?page=IRQ

this would explain why the PS/2 internal device "locks" *somehow* the keyboard. :unsure:

jaclaz

Jaclaz,

you are right, keyboard and mouse are somehow connected. If I try to change mouse driver, message comes up: "this will also affect keyboard". With standard or MPS Hal, keyboard gets irq 1 and mouse gets irq 12. Furthermore, irq sharing is also present with standard pc hal, although irq 1 and irq 12 are not shared.

I have irq's in standard-pc mode: 1->keyboard, 3-> shared: PCI Expressroot port #3, realtek pcie lan, Intel 8 SMbus Controller 9C22, Intel 8 Series Thermal 9C24, 4-> standard pci to usb enhanced host controller, 5-> UAA Busdriver for HDA, 6-> floppy disk controller, 11 (shared) -> UAA Busdriver for HDA, Intel8 Series Thermal 0A03, Intel 8 USB extensible host controller, PCI Express Root Port #1 and #5.

Now - funny - look at the irq's with mps hal:

1 - shared: Cardreader, keyboard

6 -floppy disk controller

12 - shared: UAA Busdriver, PS/2 mouse

16 - Intel 8 Series Thermal 0A03

80 - USB extensible host controller

108- UAA Busdriver for HDA

112 - shared: PCI Express Root Port #1 and #5

114 - PCI Express Root Port #3

115 - PCI Express Root Port #4

116 - USB Enhanced Host Controller

125 - SATA AHCI Controlller

126 - shared: SMBus Controller, Intel 8 Series Thermal 9C24

So it is definetly a HAL problem.

I found out, that w2k can also be installed in MPS mode on intel i7 haswell notebook, if external usb mouse present and winnt.sif changed to find usb in txtmode setup.

Greetings, Joe

HAL is a part of the problem indeed. Lack of proper ACPI driver is another, perhaps bigger part.
halmps.exe is designed for an MPS 1.4 / APIC platform: that means APM, but no ACPI... See also this.

Now, that's a relevant discovery Josef's persistence has brought us: let's explore it!
My take is: do a new, clean, install in MPS mode and test it for stability for at least a week.
It may be the starting point to create a viable procedure for 2k on Haswell...
Although the Intel Graphics 4X00 probably won't go much beyond a VESA driver, if at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dencorso,

thank you for your positive feedback. I tested MPS-HAL Installation with and without /PAE mode 5 times with extended core files from blackwingcat (HFSLIP). No problems. I installed and tested some programs, directx etc., there was never BSOD or other problem. So I think, MPS HAL is stable. The only thing: With extended core files from blackwingcat, Windows should show 4 processors instead of two. But it only shows two of them. I do not know exactly, if this is a natural limitation of MPS Hal or a problem with MPS Hal (like PS/2 mouse). Perhaps blackwingcat only added core limitation breaking into halmacpi, but not in halmps.

Can you give advice how to go on with ACPI? 

Greetings, Joe

Edited by JosefReisinger

The problem is it using the InsydeH2O bios, Windows 2000 simply will not activate ACPI multiprocessor on that BIOS. If you want Win2k on a modern machine, desktop is a bettter choice.