Has anyone ever thought of making ready boost for Win9x

Flasche

Only in Vista and Windows 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

Reading on, it specifically states that using Real RAM is much faster.

Have you browsed this list of Topics?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/95815-important-stickified-pinned-959898-seme-topics/

This one in particular -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to-day-running-win-9xme-with-more-than-1-gib-ram/

ReadyBoost is kind of pointless on such a "small footprint" OS. Win2K and above are already in good shape. USB Sticks are not really as fast as Real Ram (think Transfer Rate un a USB Port).

HTH

Hmmm...

1 - As stated, Real RAM is faster in I/O than USB

2 - USB Flash Drives are seen Removable - it would have to have the ability to be seen as a Disk and not Flash - very few have the ability to "flip the bit" - I have ONE 1gb that I successfully changed.

3 - Ram is getting pretty cheap nowadays. If you read those Stickies you can see that you can limit the PageFile and use RAM instead - or- use RAM-Drive for the PageFile.

Read the Stickies - that's why they got "Stuck". ;)

HTH

Edited by submix8c

Only in Vista and Windows 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

Reading on, it specifically states that using Real RAM is much faster.

Have you browsed this list of Topics?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/95815-important-stickified-pinned-959898-seme-topics/

This one in particular -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to-day-running-win-9xme-with-more-than-1-gib-ram/

ReadyBoost is kind of pointless on such a "small footprint" OS. Win2K and above are already in good shape. USB Sticks are not really as fast as Real Ram (think Transfer Rate un a USB Port).

HTH

Just skimmed both the greater than 1gig sounds nice. I always wanted my Win98 machine above 512mb

Yes, I have seriously "thought of making ready boost for Win9x". No there isn't one already.

It's a big topic. Please describe your system and what are you hoping "ready boost" might do for it.

Well I thought just as ready boost is meant to do.

allow the use as a cache of flash memory, a USB flash drive, SD card, CompactFlash, SSD, or other compatible internal or external mass storage system faster than the hard drive being cached

I've read about it before and used it on windows vista and I liked it alot. What I'm thinking of though is a way to boast windows 98 in an ever demanding resource world. shure there are patches to get more than 1 gig of ram, but not every buddy has money to spend on it, like me a student. Besides it has a cap to that anyway since Win98 is 32bit and slowly 32bit will fade (also 32bit has a ram cap to it too). Though not as fast as RAM memory it is faster than accesing the harddrive and according to wikipedia it made vast improvements on windows vista with only 512mb of RAM. My windows 98 computer is special. I've moved the harddrive from computer to computer and its current resting place is in an old custom XP SP1 computer (so I can't explain it that well). Since I dont have money to spend on rloews (correct if I spelt name wrong) gig patch and in the long wrong the ammount of ram provided by a 32bit computer wont cut it I think that this is perfect to help out with processing recourse heavy programs like newer web browsers, or flash when sites just give up on the old ones (There are plenty others I bet you guys can think of). I would help you but I have no computer background but I've been poking around microsofts website to I can join a class or something so I can get certified as a Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) (then continue on to being a developer or Microsoft IT professional) I hope you find my points valid and wish you luck. Hopefully I can convince my parents to let me get certified soon (what can I do I'm in highschool) so I can help out not just with your coding (if you are going to do it), but with the site as a whole for I would be honored to help you out for the community.

Edited by Flasche

>Though not as fast as RAM memory it is faster than accesing the harddrive

I'd rephrase this as: "Though not as slow as some harddrives, it is far slower than RAM."

Since I won't be working on a new solution anytime soon, let's look at existing options:

1) Add as much RAM as possible

2) Add more and faster disk drives:

+ faster: newer/larger/SSD

+ more: one each for system, swap, data

3) Put system files on thumb drive, ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1, minfilecache=1024

4) Put swap on thumb drive, ConservativeSwapfileUsage=0

5) Use compressed FAT-16 on thumb drives to speed transfers

6) Use CF with IDE adapter as poor-man's SSD

>Though not as fast as RAM memory it is faster than accesing the harddrive

I'd rephrase this as: "Though not as slow as some harddrives, it is far slower than RAM."

Well it wasnt my quote it was a quote from wikipedia. If you like you can go and change it but I really appreciate the answer you gave. When I get my MTA certification maybe you can pm me if you want any assistance. It would be fun to work on something. (***NOTE***) not certified yet but hopefully in the next 6 months.

Five days ago I put my swap file onto an old 4GB removable usb flash drive and it's been working great: The file cache isn't depleted as soon and the system is more responsive when switching windows while swap is in use.

Usb flash drive is J: so in System.ini [386Enh]:

PagingDrive=J:MinPagingFileSize=122880MaxPagingFileSize=122880ConservativeSwapfileUsage=0
I also have "Enable write-behind caching on all removable disk drives" set in System Properties->Performance->File System...File System Properties->Removable Disk.

Notes:

253,220KB total memory (256MB - 8MB for video)204,590KB peak filecache 11,192KB min. filecache with no [vcache] minfilecache  7,260KB min. filecache with minfilecache=4096

Glad you got that to work jumper. Thanks for the details too. I am wondering if part of that is being wasted though:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/137152-physical-adress-extension-and-windows-9x/

It looks to me as though that unless you have R. Loews patch, that anything over 2 GB swap may be a waste. Perhaps you could store TEMP and/or temporary internet files there too.

Unless one uses the RAM Limitation Patch, the max RAM one can use is about 1 GiB, so another 1 GiB of swapfile should be enough. And there are limitations to how much RAM + swapfile + XMS ramdisk can be used in total. Hence, in some situations, RLoew's non-XMS ramdisk is also a much welcome addition to the system.

Glad you got that to work jumper. Thanks for the details too. I am wondering if part of that is being wasted though:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/137152-physical-adress-extension-and-windows-9x/

It looks to me as though that unless you have R. Loews patch, that anything over 2 GB swap may be a waste. Perhaps you could store TEMP and/or temporary internet files there too.

Even with my Patch, the maximum Swap File is 2GiB, smaller if Main RAM is larger than 2GiB.

I put Temporary Internet Files in a 64-Bit RAM Disk.

Swap can be put in a RAM Disk but I have had deadlocks occur if the Hard Drives Spin Down.

XMS RAM Disks have the same effect as additional File Cache so they are generally limited to a few hundred Megabytes.

Edited by rloew

> MinPagingFileSize=122880

> MaxPagingFileSize=122880

I'm using a 120MB fixed-size swap file. (Only 160MB available on that flash drive--the rest is already in use!)

I plan to try min=256MB / max=1GB when I can (think 256/256+emergency head-room).

I've used a small, expandable swapfile on my Ramdsk98 drive (R:) before with very good results. Only issue was the "file was in-use" warning at shutdown. Now I just use R: (~16MB) for intermediate files when compiling projects and as a quick scratch location for downloading/extracting/analysing files, etc.

Again, this system has 248MB of main memory.

Edited by jumper