help me install win2k please

My win2k machine broke last month after many years of service. I decided to buy myself some new hardware to replace it. I want to install win2k onto this, but I've been having some trouble doing that.

​The new motherboard is an intel D510MO, which is an Atom based board. I assumed there would be no trouble getting the os to run on it, since my previous motherboard was also based on the D510 also. It was from a different manufacturer, though two boards are really very similar in specification, chipset, onboard sound and graphics chips, ddr2 memory. The only significant difference is the bios afaik.

On booting with the install CD, the disc spins up and stuff gets loaded into memory for about 1 minute, and it gets to the stage "Starting windows 2k", and then immediately freezes. (this is the normally the point at which the installer prompts us what we want to do) I've been through the cmos settings and enabled/disabled pretty much everything in various combinations to no avail.

I have successfully installed ubuntu onto the new hardware to confirm that the hardware works fine.

​I'm not sure what to do :-/

I had already tried this, and it had no effect either way.

Here is the booklet for the motherboard if it is any help:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18357/eng/D510MO_ProductGuide01_English.pdf

​A couple of things in the bios that might be important:

1. Although there is a "SATA as IDE" setting which is Enabled, there is apparently no way to configure the appearance of IDE. I believe that win2k does not support LBA48 out of the box. Would that cause it to hang like this if intel's implementation of IDE is as LBA48? Maybe that isn't the problem though...

​2. intel bios has this feature where by default it sets ram timings automagically. There is a manual override, but I have no idea what to set that to. I doubt this is the issue though, since ubuntu runs just fine with this on Auto.

​3. This new motherboard is fitted with a single 2GB DDR2 module, while my old PC had a single 1GB module. Even though win2k supports this much memory, does it understand 2GB modules? Or is that all abtracted away?

​There are a few other ideas I had, but they're all equally wild and ignorant. I thought it better to ask for help here than struggle forward making shots in the dark. :)

That's one way (48-bit LBA indeed appears to be the problem) - OR...

Scroll down to post #11 by jaclaz for the links

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162403-any-hope-of-getting-windows-2000-running-on-my-pc/

BTW. you never mentioned the size of the HDD. AND potentially SATA drivers MAY be available for your Controller for Win2k. The RAM has nothing to do with it.

HTH

Thanks for your reply.

I only have one cd-r left, so I want to be as sure as possible what to do before burning it. So let's chat a bit more first :-)

I had tried putting sata in ahci mode already, but it freezes in exactly the same place. That should remove the IDE abstraction, and there would be no sign of LBA48 to confuse it. In ahci mode, I'd expect it to get to the next stage and tell me there are no hard disks found, rather than just crashing (I can't actually remember what win2k does if there are no drives connected). My expectation might be wrong though.

I've tried with two different hard disks: a 320GB sata disk which is brand new, and is partitioned into 3 parts: I want win2k to go on partition 1 which is 80GB, and I have since put ubuntu on partition 2 which is 40GB, and the third partition is currently unused, but will eventually be for all my software and files.

The second disk I tried with is my 80GB sata backup hard disk (with a single 80GB partition). I tried booting the install cd with this drive connected, specifically because it was smaller, and within the 128GB limit of LBA. But the installer behaves exactly the same.

My previous win2k PC was set up almost exactly the same with an 80GB sata hard disk, with sata configured as ide.

It's hard to guess exactly what the difference is that's causing it to halt.

Edited by zuul

Let's see if we can understand the issue. :unsure:

When you set in BIOS a AHCI controller into "IDE compatibility" mode it wiil "expose" to the OS a given PCI Vendor/Device ID, when you set it to AHCI/SATA it will "expose" a different one:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

example:

"0x8086","0x85A2","Intel Corporation","6300ESB","IDE Controller"
"0x8086","0x85A3","Intel Corporation","6300ESB","Serial ATA Controller"

From what you report it seems like the *whatever" VEN/DEV that motherboard exposes is not "hooked" by the "Microsoft Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller" driver (which is the "default" driver in Windows 2K), as the result is the same as when you set the BIOS in AHCI mode (since a driver for it is missing).

Can you check from the Ubuntu which PCI VEN/DEV's are exposed (both when in IDE and when in AHCI mode)?

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/lspci.8.html

jaclaz

These should be the relevant info:

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)

00:1f.2 0101: 8086:27c0

Kernel driver in use: ata_piix

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 01)

00:1f.2 0106: 8086:27c1

Kernel driver in use: ahci
Kernel modules: ahci

You will most probably need to integrate the drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20775&ProdId=816〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows%202000%20%20*&DownloadType=

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/readme.txt

jaclaz

ok, thanks. I will try that!

From the list I gave, do you think that any other component might need extra drivers during the installation stage?

Are you fairly confident that it is just the IDE/AHCI driver that is to blame for the freezing?

Would it be worthwhile slipstreaming the service packs at the same time as adding these two drivers?

From the list I gave, do you think that any other component might need extra drivers during the installation stage?

Are you fairly confident that it is just the IDE/AHCI driver that is to blame for the freezing?

No, actually I am not confident at all in that, personally (but that is just me) I would try slipstreaming those drivers and actually attempt install from hard disk, by preparing with WINNT32 a suitable source on another machine (this will at least save the CD/DVD).

Would it be worthwhile slipstreaming the service packs at the same time as adding these two drivers?

The Service Packs are needed to get LBA48 support (before or later you will need that).

jaclaz

You can add any FM2 motherboard with the A6-6400K processor to the list now that there are new AMD drivers courtesy of BWC

I'm running it at my house. I would ASSUME that the A series processors all work...

I never install Windows 2000 without Service Pack 4 being slipstreamed into it. You'd be much better off making sure that it is slipstreamed onto your Windows 2000 disk for any machine you'd install it on. It's nearly brings it up to Windows XP Gold or SP1 standards I believe. It might not hurt to also slipstream Tomasz86's latest weekly update of UURollup if you don't mind using unofficial updates, there are many updates available in it that could help ensure a more smooth installation on newer hardware.