• Others (Specify what)
    • Kaspersky
    • NOD32
    • Norton Antivirus (Home Version)
    • AVG
    • Avast!
    • F-Secure
    • Norman

Norton is a good TradeMark, the rest is bad.

What do you mean? The brand name? If so, the brand name gets judged by the quality/efficiency of the software it claims as its foundation, which I'm sure you know. From my personal experience, Norton is trash.

If that's not what you meant, please elaborate. :)

i think that norton is crap too, take up way too ram/cpu. it is a brand name, so is mcafee. those are the only ones that ive ever heard of untill i started looking for a new AV and then i found NOD32. most people will pick norton b/c they dont know what else is out there.

Norton is a good TradeMark, the rest is bad.

What do you mean? The brand name? If so, the brand name gets judged by the quality/efficiency of the software it claims as its foundation, which I'm sure you know. From my personal experience, Norton is trash.

If that's not what you meant, please elaborate. :)

Exactly, I Norton is trash.

I tried BitDefender and didn't like it at all. It installs 4 Services and has at least half a dozen processes running which immediately reminded me of Norton. The interface was awful, I basically couldn't stand it. That's just me, though. ;)

Why dont Add BitDefender ?

i think it is better than norton -atleast not EATing the memory like norton  :D

I tried BitDefender and didn't like it at all. It installs 4 Services and has at least half a dozen processes running which immediately reminded me of Norton. The interface was awful, I basically couldn't stand it. That's just me, though. ;)

Yeah, that's just you Jeremy... :P

It doesn't really matter how many processes it runs... think of it this way - if you have one process for each task, if one of the processes crashes or gets "killed", then the others are still up and running, protecting the other aspects of your system.

Services are good as well, because well written services are typically harder for malware to stop than regular executables.

For most people that I know, the interface is better than that of Norton (although that's probably not saying much), and for them it does the job (i.e. keeps viruses and other nasties out).

Another note about BitDefender... it's not just an anti-virus. It's got other features as well, hence the multiple proceses.

Zxian -

I quite like the free ed. of bitdefender - but I too tried the full one and didn't like it much either - maybe because it brought my 400 MHz 128 Mb ram laptop to it's knees - or maybe because I hate security products - "internet security"-like - that integrate spyware- virus- and firewall protection - I like to choose each part as I see fit - but that's just me :rolleyes:

Right now I favour most Symantec Corp 9 and kerio personal firewall 4 - can't be beaten in my opinion ... :)

- regards

Jacob.

Edited by techniquefreak

I like to choose each part as I see fit - but that's just me  :rolleyes:

For most people though, the all-in-one solution is simple and generally does the job. Most people like just having the one-stop solution for everything... which is why we now have Starbucks in our grocery stores... :P

I like to choose each part as I see fit - but that's just me  :rolleyes:

For most people though, the all-in-one solution is simple and generally does the job. Most people like just having the one-stop solution for everything... which is why we now have Starbucks in our grocery stores... :P

:lol: HAHAHA, thats a good one lol :lol: