Aero Glass for Win8 1.3

Has anyone actually measured whether there's a difference in power consumption when Aero Glass is enabled vs. disabled? I'm betting it's downright negligible.

Microsoft hyped up the removal of Aero Glass by claiming it saves power, but there are still GPU operations all over the place. I doubt it changes the power consumption at all, and I believe their real agenda is motivated by entirely different goals (as in, "How the heck do we sell more software if the desktop already does everything people need?").

-Noel

Noel, the reason was not about battery (I dont think they ever claimed that either). It was due to performance on low end tablet devices.

Noel, the reason was not about battery (I dont think they ever claimed that either). It was due to performance on low end tablet devices.

A. Bah. Even low-end tablets have powerful GPUs that only a few years ago were just dreams.

B. The ability to run "classic mode" was configurable in earlier OSs, it need only have been configured by default in Windows 8 for low-end machines.

C. Don't kid yourself - the current Windows 8+ DWM implementation relies HEAVILY on the GPU, even without the glass effect or skeuomorphism, which Microsoft is desperately trying to paint as "unfashionable". For example note how the animation to open and close windows works. The GPU spends FAR more time animating that than it does blurring backgrounds.

You seem to feel that Microsoft has honorable motives in this. I feel they do not. They are simply trying to herd sheeple into disliking the desktop so they can "move on" to selling them new systems that do things differently.

I feel the directors of the company are simply not smart enough (or not able to resist greedy impulses) to understand that they should have spun off another product to pursue their goals while continuing to maintain Windows as a serious, mature business operating system. The attractiveness of being able to sell to a captive audience of a billion hapless App Store users was just too much for them. I don't believe they're going to pull it off. People are smarter than they think.

-Noel

A. Bah. Even low-end tablets have powerful GPUs that only a few years ago were just dreams.

No. I have a Clover Trail tablet, and Aero Glass for Win8 runs like crap on it. Once I uninstall it, the interface becomes snappy again.

So either bigmuscle's recreation puts extra strain on the GPU, or GPUs on these tablets are just incapable of running Glass well.

I'm not getting any text glow effect in certain windows. Namely, explorer windows. It's not a huge deal, but it is a minor annoyance.

I absolutely love the product though! I donated a few days ago and would suggest that anyone else who likes it do the same.

I have to say that I have a lot of issues with the way the licensing works. We're required to "donate" again if we upgrade our hardware? That's completely arbitrary and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

This is and always has been a great add-on for Windows 8, and I'm very grateful for the work that has gone into it, but with all due respect, it honestly doesn't do enough to warrant a ~$4 purchase every time I upgrade my computer. If bigmuscle is interested in some advice (unlikely), I recommend that he provide a free version completely devoid of naggy popups and obnoxious watermarks. I will gladly donate if this is done, but until then, I won't be bullied into giving somebody money in order to make a simple piece of software work as intended.

I have to say that I have a lot of issues with the way the licensing works.

Do you really perform a lot of HDD upgrades?

We're required to "donate" again if we upgrade our hardware?

No, you are not required... unless you are stuck with some 3€ limit.

I recommend that he provide a free version completely devoid of naggy popups and obnoxious watermarks. I will gladly donate if this is done.

Sure, I will also buy Porsche, if they start giving it cost-free.

Keith, EVEN IF you had to donate every time to get another donation key - which you don't - how much do you spend each month to send a bunch of useless text messages to your friends? Or to eat lunch at Chipotle? Fill your gas tank? Somehow I can't imagine you're hurting for 4 bucks. Or even 8 or 12. If you're buying computer hardware upgrades that often you've got no business complaining.

How much did Microsoft fleece you for this OS they sold you that has less functionality than its predecessor? Do you think they'll let you freely move it to a new computer when you upgrade?

Aero Glass for Win 8 / 8.1 is a good piece of software. With a suitable theme atlas, it turns the Windows 8 desktop from an eye-searing, lunch-losing experience into something you can actually live with every day. If it sold commercially it would cost 5 times the amount we're talking about here.

You've wasted more than $4 of your time complaining (and more than $4 of my time complaining about your complaints).

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

@BigMuscle

Question..

I use AeroGlass v1.2 for Windows 8.0 on my laptop. It obviously uses the AppInitDLL method to run.

Since AeroGlass v1.x for Windows 8.1 now uses the AeroHost method to load- you said to be a better/cleaner way to run the software.

Will this method work, or be implemented for AeroGlass for Windows 8? Are there reasons it won't work, or be updated?

Thanks for the awesome software!

Sean

Edited by ralcool