Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

It is **** impressive work. You have accomplished what Stardock is having issue with and microsoft I bet at times said was impossible.

I don't think Microsoft ever said anything about it not being possible, or for that matter ever commenting on it at all beyond the "it's no longer a feature" on the building windows 8 blog - and do you have a source link somewhere stating that stardock is even working on such a feature?

Not to downplay bigmuscle's work, he has done an impressive job. Just pointing out that I think you are pulling claims out of thin air.

It is **** impressive work. You have accomplished what Stardock is having issue with and microsoft I bet at times said was impossible.

I don't think Microsoft ever said anything about it not being possible, or for that matter ever commenting on it at all beyond the "it's no longer a feature" on the building windows 8 blog - and do you have a source link somewhere stating that stardock is even working on such a feature?

Not to downplay bigmuscle's work, he has done an impressive job. Just pointing out that I think you are pulling claims out of thin air.

I think it don't need at all. Microsoft knows what happends there, and just waiting.

I think it don't need at all. Microsoft knows what happends there, and just waiting.

Waiting for what?

Waiting for what?

))) I don't know, but this is open forum and topic. It is stupid thinking that they don't looking here.

Waiting for what?

))) I don't know, but this is open forum and topic. It is stupid thinking that they don't looking here.

Absolutely, I'm sure they know of this. Doesn't mean they are going to do anything about it.

Edited by inighthawki

If you actually have something to say, please use enough words so that others don't have to try to guess at what you mean, and while you're at it please delete the excessive quoting.

Personally I have a suspicion that Microsoft is going to have done some things to Windows 8.1 that may break BigMuscle's approach, at least for a while, but we can hope it will be something that can be worked around. Their leadership doesn't seem to be wavering on its course toward the rocks. I don't know how it is that some people get to define such obviously wrong directions and have big companies stick with them for years, seeming without anyone noticing that they're about to trash the whole company.

-Noel

If you actually have something to say, please use enough words so that others don't have to try to guess at what you mean, and while you're at it please delete the excessive quoting.

Personally I have a suspicion that Microsoft is going to have done some things to Windows 8.1 that may break BigMuscle's approach, at least for a while, but we can hope it will be something that can be worked around. Their leadership doesn't seem to be wavering on its course toward the rocks. I don't know how it is that some people get to define such obviously wrong directions and have big companies stick with them for years, seeming without anyone noticing that they're about to trash the whole company.

-Noel

Thing is in Win8, glass wasn't really "removed." There were only bits and pieces of code removed or changed to disable it. BigMuscle did an excellent job hooking into a lot of this. But this was done last minute at a time where Microsoft wouldn't have had time to fully remove it and test it long enough to ensure it didn't break anything. In 8.1 there's no doubt that they've removed more code to help optimize things further, and BigMuscle's solution will NOT work for a while. It will most likely require some pretty large changes to re-implement a lot of the features that he's counting on right now for it to work. Seeing how skilled he is, I have confidence that he could get something working, but it will be tough.

What would Microsoft have to gain by making a third party aero glass solution incompatible with 8.1?

Windows is, at its core, all about customization. I'm sure Microsoft would love for their OS to be as locked down as OSX, but there'd be quite an uproar if they started banning third party software.

Nice work bigmuscle, the RC1 seems to be working properly on both Intel HD 3000 and on nVidia 9500GT. Till now no flickering or artifacts on both systems.

I have attached the debug.log for both these systems below.

Intel HD 3000: debug.log

nVidia 9500GT: debug.log

As you said in the release log, that there won't be any crash log, instead a minidump, will this require any internet connection to download the appropriate files from MS servers (as you said a couple of days back)...?

The reason I am asking is because I don't have a constant internet connection on any of my systems.

What would Microsoft have to gain by making a third party aero glass solution incompatible with 8.1?

It's not about doing it purposely. If Microsoft can make DWM more efficient by changing the way it works internally, they will, but with the risk that it breaks some random third party mod to hack in a feature that they removed. They won't do it purposely but I can bet you money they don't care if it breaks this.

As you said in the release log, that there won't be any crash log, instead a minidump, will this require any internet connection to download the appropriate files from MS servers (as you said a couple of days back)...?

Nope, minidump does not need any files from MS servers and they don't even need any PDB files. It is a footprint of DWM process memory, so I can analyze it on my own PC more deeply than simple exception callstack in text file provides. The only disadvantage is the size of minidump file which is over 100 MBytes.