Need some computer guru help please

FixitUP

I wanted a i386 directory, so I dled sp3 and installed it and got that i386 dir.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of problems after rebooting.

73 instances of explorer opened, and about 4 errors with other things.

Of course, the ever useless event viewer was empty of any errors.

I stopped aclntusr.exe and kusrinit.exe and miraculously when I login, XP immediately tells me it is saving my settings and it shuts down.

I tried BartPE, but it doesn't let you run services to get programs restarted.

Andy

1 - I wanted a i386 directory, so I dled sp3 and installed it and got that i386 dir.

2 - I stopped aclntusr.exe and kusrinit.exe and miraculously when I login, XP immediately tells me it is saving my settings and it shuts down.

Andy

1 - Makes NO sense! What do you MEAN? An XP-SP3 ISO or the SP3-PACKAGE?

2 - aclntusr.exe= Altiris Client Management Suite / kusrinit.exe=The Kace KBOX Agent... Did you install a WAREZ???

Edited by submix8c

If you have downloaded and installed Service Pack 3, then you should be able to uninstall it and/or go back to the restore point which is created before the installation.

"Should" is the operative word.

I have installed Serv packs a number of times but never had this much trouble.

1 - I wanted a i386 directory, so I dled sp3 and installed it and got that i386 dir.

2 - I stopped aclntusr.exe and kusrinit.exe and miraculously when I login, XP immediately tells me it is saving my settings and it shuts down.

Andy

1 - Makes NO sense! What do you MEAN? An XP-SP3 ISO or the SP3-PACKAGE?

2 - aclntusr.exe= Altiris Client Management Suite / kusrinit.exe=The Kace KBOX Agent... Did you install a WAREZ???

It will make sense when I get it fixed.

I don't think whether an iso or M.S.s own SP is germaine.

As a programmer I work hard at making sure my programs work correctly which includes checking for conditions before the program starts.

Well!

It's not me looking for help, but if I provide you with a possible solution, the least you can do is respond to it. fully. The service pack always creates a restore point prior to install as well as makes itself uninstallable, so what happened, 'Should' tells us nothing.

You don't "Need some computer guru help please", you need to read forum rule 12, and also, programmer or not, you need to be able to describe your problem way more than you did. See, if you think the replies are irrelevant (obviously you didn't try to understand them), it's fine, you're the one with the problem, but at least them who posted tried to understand your 1st post.

I wanted a i386 directory, so I dled sp3 and installed it and got that i386 dir.

I don't understand the meaning of the very first five words - "I wanted a i386 directory". What did he want it for? Apparently his installation was a pre-SP3 version of XP of some kind, since he says he then installed SP3. I agree with other's assessments that his install was probably either formerly from some company or warez, and an old one in either case since SP3 came out in 2008. Trying to install the SP onto an older, most likely modified, install will often end badly with the easiest and cleanest solution to start over with a clean, valid, legal source.

Cheers and Regards

I don't understand the meaning of the very first five words - "I wanted a i386 directory". What did he want it for?

As I see it, it is a perfectly legitimate desire, in the rare occasions when I have the same, I tend to open a command prompt and in it type:

C:
md I386

and when I am tired of it I do ;):

rd C:\I386

but I am NOT a programmer. (though I did stay At a Holiday Inn) :whistle: .

I thought that long before "making sure programs work correctly which includes checking for conditions before the program starts" a programmer should be able to clearly list:

• the final goal
  • the theory of operation devised to reach that goal

AND when for whatever reasons the theory does not work and he/she needs asking for help, being able to communicate the above along the Standard Litany:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz