Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

I don't know why it generated such a strange result. My computer boots slowly in reality, around 1 minute into RTM, and around 40 seconds into RP. Now that you say it's OK, I won't mind it any more.

Okay, it's somewhat interesting to do these traces. Many thanks for all the help. And wish you a nice day, Andre.

so, i managed to create an xml, my bootDoneViaExplorer is 30sec, and post-boot is 1min. Guess it's too much and I knew that (that's why I'm here). I have an ESET SmartSecurity running but that can't be the problem of 1min booting? Guess I need to look thoroughly. I wonder why MS promises 10sec boot out of the box... I had my 40sec+ boot time right from fresh install.

what I found quickly reviewing is "services autoStartStartTime="16207" autoStartEndTime="37132" autoStartDuration="20925">" services loading for 21 sec. So... disabling system services to speed up? I already have disabled and set to manual some of them according to common sense and BlackViper...

postBootDisturbance="23700" though ALL of auto-start programs are disabled. what else is in this phase?

then again, 16secs before even services to initialize is gross

adding some data, maybe you'll be kind to give some feedback right away, thank you. and thanks for the tutorial.

47ebac52333f.png

Edited by Traditore

boot is terrible broken. The prefetcher doesn't work as it should and your DISK is busy all the time:

post-70718-0-67918700-1347457451_thumb.p

What I can see is that the NOD32 service takes some CPU time and this causes the slow WinLogonInit phase:

post-70718-0-87721800-1347457532_thumb.p

So you should also run the boot optimization I've explained here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

but it is better to sue the new Hybrid Boot / fast Startup feature of Windows 8:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=152937

So you should also run the boot optimization I've explained here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

but it is better to sue the new Hybrid Boot / fast Startup feature of Windows 8:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=152937

1) first I'll try setting NOD service to 'automatic(Delayed)' and see if it helps a bit. I would disable its autorun completely but as I remember it can't be started up via scheduler then, so I really need it autostarting in some way - delayed.

2) I'll do that optimization. Shouldn't I delete prefetch data or something so that OS builds up brand new prefetching?

P.S. Funny thing is that I also have 8Gb ReadyBoost on a flash and I can tell about applications startup faster but no effect on OS boot (if should be any I'm not sure but still...)

3) I don't have hybridBoot option though I'm using leaked final Enterprise OS. What the deal with it?

Thank you for all of your time!

Edited by Traditore

In the power saving options you should have an option to select fast startup

It IS selected, and it was all the time. Now, silly as I am, I tried to disable it, save changes, and then enabling again... and for the first time I saw what fast startup is. LOL? Now it's functioning.

And after boot optimization, disabling NOD and using windows defender, I got to 50 secs boot after restart. Is that OK?

Edited by Traditore

Sorry for interrupting.

I thought enabling Hibernation was just something needed for the traces so I only did it on W8 RTM. I enabled it on W8 RP today and now it boots faster. I notice this after I have to shut down my computer and turn it on again. It takes around 25 seconds to boot into the desktop. Yet, I don't know why it isn't fast when I restart Windows.

And after boot optimization, disabling NOD and using windows defender, I got to 50 secs boot after restart. Is that OK?

How do you shut the PC down? When Fast Startup is used you should see a text "shutting down PC ..." and next a black screen for a few seconds until the data are written to the hibernation file.

Yet, I don't know why it isn't fast when I restart Windows.

this is by design. Reboot is the old way

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx

How do you shut the PC down? When Fast Startup is used you should see a text "shutting down PC ..." and next a black screen for a few seconds until the data are written to the hibernation file.

When I "Shut down", the PC turns off in 10sec and boots to StartMenu/Desktop in about 20-30 secs. So I guess it works like you are saying.

But if I "Restart PC" then it takes about a minute to boot, so my questions are:

1) is 60-70-80 seconds boot after Restart OK? It's kinda equal or more then Windows7 boot times...

2) why does boot trace restart my pc instead of shutting down and booting so that we could trace FastStartup? some folk in this thread posted his results of 30secs FastStartup so I'm thinking if it's me who is doing something wrong or the PC:)

Thank you. I appreciate your help