Running 3TB drive on XP over USB Issue

Comos

Hi everyone,

does anybody have experience when running a 3TB 3.5" in a enclousure over USB on WinXP?

I tried to combine a Paragon GPT Loader and a drive enclousure from Akitio, which they claim that it supports drives from 80GB-3TB, but even now it's reported by GPT Loader,that the disk is only in 2TB in size.

Before I had an enclousure from I-tec and the result was same,but as I beleived,it was caused by it's only 2TB drive support.

Any idea?

Greets

Comos

http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/gpt-loader/

According to this, it should work with 2.2+tb on XP 32-bit.

Paragon GPT Loader includes a special system driver and a utility for initializing ultra high capacity drives. The driver adds support for GPT (GUID Partition Table) disks, while the utility initializes modern 2.2TB+ drives ready for use.
You DID install the whole shebang, right?

What is the model of your external enclosures?

Edited by submix8c

OS is WinXP 32bit, that's why used Paragon's GPT Loader.

Drive enclousure is SK-3501 Super-S3 from Akitio

http://www.akitio.com/professional-storage/sk-3501-super-s3

Another solution is,that the enclousure doesn't handle the size what they claim.

Response from Paragon was,that is for the drives which are attached directly to the MB.But if the USB converter handles it,it should work also.

Funny this is,that my cheap USB/SATA/IDE converter reports the drive as 16TB :-))) So there is definitely somekind a problem with the translation in the enclousure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well partly solved.

One thing is,that there is a jumper in the enclousure for the limitation to 2TB and the second thing is,that WinXP 32bit can handle only 2TB over USB... **** !

Only exeption is to WD Mybook Essential,which has logic to trick the OS about the real drive's geometry.

Only exeption is to WD Mybook Essential,which has logic to trick the OS about the real drive's geometry.

Elaborate, please. I went to WD's site and couldn't find anything about it (then again, it can be just a trivial case of bad Google-Fu, of course). :lol:

Elaborate, please. I went to WD's site and couldn't find anything about it (then again, it can be just a trivial case of bad Google-Fu, of course). :lol:

Hi Den,

sure I will elaborate :) I need to solve this bul*****, that I didn't expect with WinXP 32bit, because Im outta space for my stuff :)

I haven't tested it on a good old Win9x yet how it is recognized.

Hi Den,

sure I will elaborate :) I need to solve this bul*****, that I didn't expect with WinXP 32bit, because Im outta space for my stuff :)

I haven't tested it on a good old Win9x yet how it is recognized.

Here are some links,that I was digging into:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/8fd33944-0202-4dff-a432-356e2b231f2e/

http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-PC/Exceeding-2Tb-limit-questions/td-p/234694

4 kiB sectors! That makes sense! Then again, if that works for WD, there should be a way of getting it to work for any HDD, whatever the manufacturer. You've just kindled a light of hope! :thumbup

4 kiB sectors! That makes sense! Then again, if that works for WD, there should be a way of getting it to work for any HDD, whatever the manufacturer. You've just kindled a light of hope! :thumbup

In this case the limitation should be max 16T HDD. Gotta buy that stuff from WD and test it :)