[Solved]Computer wont stay asleep.

MarkJohnson

I'm having an issue with my friends system staying asleep. I select sleep from main menu and the screen goes blank and a few seconds later I hear the fans start to whirl down and then they speed up instantly and I'm back at my desktop. The power never even goes off, it just acts likes it's going to shut down then comes back on.

He has windows 7 HP x64 installed. (I reinstalled from scratch with same issues). his system consists of an Asus P5Q SE PLUS (P45 chipset), 4GB Kingston HyperX 1066 RAM, Intel C2D Pentium E5200, Echo Star EC-P680D 680w PSU, HD 4350 Fanless, Kingston 64GB SSD (SV100S264G), and a pair of 250GB drives for DATA and Backup purposes.

I checked that WoL was disabled in BIOS and driver.

All wake features in BIOS are disabled.

I enable S3 from AUTO setting.

I installed latest Intel chipset drivers.

I updated LAN drivers

Any Idea whats forcing this awake?

-=Mark=-

Edited by MarkJohnson

Well, when a computer goes to sleep it does not turn off. You are thinking about hibernate, which turns the PC "off" when it "sleeps."

There are a bunch of things that can keep a computer awake. Take a look at the power settings and advanced options on some of the devices in device manager, such as USB and NIC. I don't have an exact answer as I don't use this function.

Wild guess :w00t: , mind you :ph34r: , but maybe somethig is written in one of the events log. :unsure:

See if anything is found (you may want to clear the event logs and do a few boot/sleep/off cycles.

jaclaz

Wild guess :w00t: , mind you :ph34r: , but maybe somethig is written in one of the events log. :unsure:

See if anything is found (you may want to clear the event logs and do a few boot/sleep/off cycles.

jaclaz

lol, event viewer said:

Wake Source: Device - USB Hub

I only have a usb keyboard and mouse and wake by both keyboard and mouse are disabled. I even unplugged the on-board USB headers and still doesn't stay asleep.

Next, I dig through closet and find a PS/2 keyboard and unplug usb keyboard and mouse, plug in PS/2 keyboard, boot, sleep, and VOILA! it stays asleep. I can only wake from power button, but I disabled all wake features, so that is fine.

now, what else can force system awake? I disabled wake on both keyboard and mouse. What else could it be?

I even tried a wireless kbd/mouse combo that only uses one USB port and still wakes.

This is on a freshly installed windows never connected to internet in case something unwanted get installed.

-=Mark=-

YOINKS! Recheck your BIOS settings... Perhaps "Legacy USB Keyboard Support"?

That seemed to do the trick. This board has an AUTO setting, so I thought I'd try enabled, as disabled has kept me out of the BIOS before.

So, I enabled it and it works on the fresh install, but the old boot drive still throws a fit. I guess I'll try to make sense of all the events from the past three years or so.

Is there a way to clear the events? There are thousands of events.

-=Mark=-

Sure :).

The idea was (still is) that you save the event logs (if needed) then you delete them, then you cycle the machine looking for any new event, this way it is easier.

Clearing the event logs is part (at least here) of "normal maintenance" of the system.

On a windows 7 machine there are more logs than you would ever want :w00t:, so often a batch is used:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-378338/delete-all-event-logs-at-once-in-windows-7/

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/25480-event-viewer-one-click-clear.html

jaclaz

Sure :).

The idea was (still is) that you save the event logs (if needed) then you delete them, then you cycle the machine looking for any new event, this way it is easier.

Clearing the event logs is part (at least here) of "normal maintenance" of the system.

On a windows 7 machine there are more logs than you would ever want :w00t:, so often a batch is used:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-378338/delete-all-event-logs-at-once-in-windows-7/

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/25480-event-viewer-one-click-clear.html

jaclaz

Thanks, I found many batch files to do it, but noticed the viewer had a clear log on right side of screen once I had a log selected. It took 10 mniutes to go through all the folders and still nothing in log. I cleared them thinking it was buried, but apparently there is no record of a sleep happening. It acts like it's going to sleep, but comes on instantly without seeming to try and sleep. It's like it was aborting before hand.

anyways, google gave me a hit on it may be the +5vsb usb jumper on the motherboard. I set it and VIOLA! sleep works fine.

Thanks for everyone's help

-=Mark=-