Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

I don't want to go through the process of doing a clean install.

Understood.  And just to be clear, the backup disk image that you reinstall -- does that already include the “unofficial service pack 5.1” to which you referred?  And is that the one from tomasz86 (w2ksp51), or Gurgelmeyer’s (USP5.1.2195.24)?

I did at one stage install an already updated ISO file of windows 2000 & it ran firefox's latest version...

Would you please provide detail regarding this ISO that “ran firefox's latest version,” and what is meant by “already updated?”  I mean, how did you make it, what does it include?  Thank you.

Hi, Tomasz 86, here is Hckrnt '64 :D ...I'm Back... and i'd like to say to you that i've done IT! i've installed (from a bootable USB stick) a windows 2000 pro (eng) ext kernel with integrated your WONDERFUL USP5.x.xxxx.xx... :w00t: it's BEAUTYFUL! it's work like a charm and everything is running perfectly smoothely  on my laptop ACER ASPIRE 4320, 80gb hd 2gb ram atheros wireless ATHEROS AR5007EG, Realtek high definition audio. I've spent a couple of days installing a lot of classic shell extensions and testing various Apps [Firefox portable 36.0 it's flying like a rocket in the sky, no bullsh*t]...

Well what i can say more...THANKS A MILLION Buddy and cheers to you and to all the generous people of this amazing topic...

hackeronte...

P.S. goooooooooood Luck!!! :thumbup:hello:

Anyone know whats going on with windows2000.tk? I'm trying to get a updated windows 2000 server going right now. I'm currently at sp4 with the official sp4 rollup I believe. It seems like all these updates are directed to the wbove mentioned website. ANywhere else I can download these?

I'm reviving my old win2k webserver and would like to get it a bit more up to date, and hopefully get net framework 4.0 so I can run a newer version of mysql.

Edited by airbats801

• 2 months later...

I'd like to install Windows 2000 on ThinkPad T43 but I'm not sure what is a good installation order.

1. SP4

2. UR1

3. UR2 

4. UURollup 

If it is good order?

When I have to install drivers?

This is the way I've been doing unofficial Windows 2000 installs, and so far I've had good luck.

1. Install Windows 2000

2. Install drivers

3. Install SP4 (if it's not already)

4. Install UR1

5. Install Unoffical Service Pack 5.1

6. Install all updates from Windows Update

7. Install UR2

8. Install UURollup

9. Install any add-ons, like the unofficial Windows Imaging Component, of the unofficial Group Policy Client Side Extension

You can cut out steps 3 and 4 by using nLited install media.

Edited by MrMaguire

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! :hello:

I've updated my website. You can check it here:

http://windows2000.tk/new (the old one will be replaced in a few days) done! (check http://windows2000.tk)

I've removed all the different sub-pages and merged everything into one single page. There are some important changes regarding the updates so please check the latest changelog. I've also added a few new updates and fixes some bugs and errors. The website itself should also load faster.

What I want to do now is to:

• add a new HFSLIP section where the script itself and other required tools will be provided to download. Mimo has stopped updating his website and I think it will be better to have everything required for slipstreaming in one place. done!
  • update the Download Archive (add new updates & remove obsolete ones) done!
  • add new WMP9 updates for XP/2003 which can be slipstreamed without any changes
  • add direct links to ARA updates (a long-term goal)
  • fix the new website itself to function properly in IE5/6/7 done!

I'm also thinking about modyfing the HFSLIP script to slipstream XP/2003 updates into Windows 2000. There are several cases where all the three systems use exactly same files but at the moment HFSLIP is unable to process such updates.

I just want to comment on the instructions by MrMaguire above:

1. Install Windows 2000
2. Install drivers
3. Install SP4 (if it's not already)
4. Install UR1
5. Install Unoffical Service Pack 5.1
6. Install all updates from Windows Update
7. Install UR2
8. Install UURollup
9. Install any add-ons, like the unofficial Windows Imaging Component, of the unofficial Group Policy Client Side Extension

• You don't need SP4 and UR1 if you use USP5.1. They are all included in it.
  • I'd argue against using UR2. There were some bugs in it which I was not able to fix. Windows Update will install the vast majority of what was included in UR2 anyway.
  • If you use new / unofficial drivers, they should be installed last, after all the official & unofficial updates have been installed. The reason is that the new drivers may not work without the updated system files (or may break the system in the worst case).

Anyhow, please let me know if you have any questions, comments and suggestions about the website and the future plans that I've written above!

Edited by tomasz86

Long time no see, dencorso! :thumbup

Have you perchance read this thread, already?

Do you perhaps have a guess as to which file(s) cause the issue described therein?

I'd guess it's the registry fix mentioned in KB919521:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL]"14140000FFFFFFFF"=dword:00000010
The REG file can be downloaded from my website, together with UR1 (KB891861).

Hi tomasz86, when you “add a new HFSLIP section” to your website, do you plan to update HFSLIP and / or UUR with blackwingcat’s latest kernel?

Yes, of course! I just want to make sure that everything functions 100% correctly with the official updates and hotfixes first, and then move on to the unofficial packages.

You can expect frequent updates in the next few days. I'll try to update the post #775 when I'm done with something. Right now I've just finished tidying up the Download Archive.

I've updated the website again - removed the Microsoft Update section (check the changelog for explanation) and fixed some minor bugs.

I'm also working on HFSLIP. I've fixed a few issues when it's used in newer versions of Windows, such as running as administrator, using PEChecksum instead of ModifyPE and several Windows 2000 specific problems:

• modyfing SETUPREG.HIV with reg.exe to add 48-bit LBA support (a bunch of useless log files were added to the source)
  • properly unpacking wmfdist.exe from KB891122 (the installer didn't run at all)
  • slipstreaming the newest Digital certificates (rvkroots.exe) update whose installer cannot run in Windows 2000 (but the files inside are compatible)

At the moment I want to make sure that my HFSLIP package can be used to prepare a fully updated Windows 2000 source with all the official updates slipstreamed. I also want it to run in any version of Windows from 2000 to 10 so that you don't need to use a VM just to use HFSLIP (if your host OS is Vista or newer).