Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Tablets Can't Shake Gravity, Shipments to Decline for First Time in 2014

More bad news for tablets in general.

The money quote:

According to TrendForce, the novelty of tablets has worn off. Prices have bottomed out, and this time around, low-cost notebooks are stealing away tablet market share instead of it being the other way around. As a result, branded tablet shipments are expected to decline 1.8 percent year-over-year to 153 million units in 2014, while notebook shipments will increase 1 percent year-over-year to 171 million units.

"Time has shown that notebooks are irreplaceable," said Caroline Chen, a notebook PC analyst with TrendForce. "They offer larger screens than tablets as well as a keyboard and mouse, which are all important for those who use their computers primarily for work reasons. Tablets remain limited to Internet browsing and entertainment functions."

[emphasis added]

Just as we always predicted. Heh -- they could have saved themselves a ton of embarrassment and bad PR just by reading this thread instead of doubling down on a bad strategy. :yes:

People are discovering that they need something more substantial than a tablet, and they need it because they want to get serious work done. Maybe humanity is not doomed, after all. At least for this reason...

--JorgeA

Well, actually we were particularly critical on the tablet/touch oriented switch of the GUI of the newish stupid OS, but the difference between a laptop and a tablet has been always clear enough, at least according to the good guys @Lenovo:

http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/faqs/laptop-vs-tablet/

Tablets, on the other hand, are currently the pinnacle of mobile technology. They are compact, very lightweight and extremely easy to carry. However, they do not possess the processing power of a laptop. Their functionality as a computing device is very limited, although sufficient for some people's uses. Tablets can be ideal for those who browse the Web casually, such as read the news or popular websites, and those who play "lightweight" games, or want to watch TV or films while traveling. Additionally, tablets can be used in a variety of specialized careers like design and music.

Oftentimes, designers use tablets to transfer drawings on tablets into design software and programs. Tablets have also been popping up as essential hardware for music producers and traveling DJs, who use the devices for everything from mobile production to live sequencing, FX and mixing in their shows. Many music production programs and hardware designers are creating applications for tablets so DJs can use their favorite studio equipment away from home.

Despite these advances in some niche professions, tablets are often not suitable for hardcore gamers, presentation arrangement and creation, or heavy researching -- tasks sought after by a larger portion of the population.

(bolding is mine ;))

So, we were not the only ones to predict that the idea of completely replacing laptops with tablets was deemed to failure.

jaclaz

The Joys of Living In The Cloud #547: Heh, heh...

Leaks of nude celebrity photos raise concerns about security of the cloud

The leaking of hundreds of private and intimate photographs of Hollywood celebrities cast new doubt on the security of popular online storage sites Monday as investigators probed for explanations of the high-profile breach.

Privacy experts joined Hollywood publicists in denouncing the leaks, which flooded Web sites over the weekend with nude images of more than a half-dozen A-list actresses and performers, including Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence, star of “The Hunger Games” and “Silver Linings Playbook.”

The breach — regarded as one of the most wide-ranging involving celebrities — has spurred concerns about the security of photographs, videos and documents that millions of Americans store in popular Internet “cloud” accounts. Lawrence’s photographs allegedly were obtained from a personal iCloud account, a service operated by Apple and often used to automatically store photos taken by a user’s mobile phone.

Go ahead, folks -- be good boys and girls, do as Apple and Microsoft want you to do, and put all your pics and docs in the cloud... for all to see.

Oh, and here's the kicker:

Actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead sought to shame the perpetrator with an angry message on the social media site Twitter. “To those of you looking at photos I took with my husband years ago in the privacy of our home, hope you feel great about yourselves,” she tweeted. “Knowing those photos were deleted long ago, I can only imagine the creepy effort that went into this. Feeling for everyone who got hacked.”

[emphasis definitely added]

Once in cyberspace, always in cyberspace. The Information Superhighway leads right to your front door -- and inside.

--JorgeA

At lest early attempts failed, but you never know what may happen ;):

Nothing-Fancy-Best-Demotivational-Poster

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know what that pic brings to mind?  :P  :

That was weirdly creepy. Of course, this means I gotta rent that movie.

@jaclaz: Neat graphic, BTW.

--JorgeA

P.S. I wanted to stick an emoticon after each of my sentences above, but the board software tells me the limit has been reached for this post.

Edited by JorgeA

Good for them:

Microsoft Defies Court Order, Will Not Give Emails to US Government

Despite a federal court order directing Microsoft to turn overseas-held email data to federal authorities, the software giant said Friday it will continue to withhold that information as it waits for the case to wind through the appeals process. The judge has now ordered both Microsoft and federal prosecutors to advise her how to proceed by next Friday, September 5.

Let there be no doubt that Microsoft's actions in this controversial case are customer-centric. The firm isn't just standing up to the US government on moral principles. It's now defying a federal court order.

--JorgeA

P.S. I wanted to stick an emoticon after each of my sentences above, but the board software tells me the limit has been reached for this post.

Yep, you quoted TELVM's post and he burned all your allowance :w00t::yes:

@TELVM

Cannot really say why ;), but video reminds me of :whistle::

h837B228D.jpg

jaclaz

Putting the Win in Windows 9

Windows 8 has been an unprecedented disaster for Microsoft, one that can't be judged by simple measures like units sold. Some have called it Windows Vista 2.0, which is insulting. . . to Windows Vista.

No, really: Windows 8 is actually a much bigger problem than was Vista. With Vista, the solution was easy: Just make it faster, lighter, and smaller, and slap a new name on it—Windows 7—and watch the accolades roll in.

But Windows 8? Oh, boy. Windows 8 is a tough one.

Click on the link to read on...

--JorgeA

They've gotten rid of the team that inflicted Windows 8 on the world, which is a start.  :)

However, as they might say in philosophy circles, that's a "necessary" though not a "sufficient" condition to fix the mess.

--JorgeA