Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

It is a nice picture. <- last character is a full stop or "period". 

It is however :whistle: representing a "brightness and third dimension challenged" bulb :w00t::ph34r: (an example how sometimes politically correctness is even worse than speaking frankly ;)), but all in all it would be a nice paper holder :thumbup, and traditionally round, heated paper holders were not very practical.

:lol:

But before you may use that euphemism for a "dim bulb", have you submitted a proper application to the PC (poliical correctness) Language Police to have it registered as an Acceptable Term?

--JorgeA

But before you may use that euphemism for a "dim bulb", have you submitted a proper application to the PC (poliical correctness) Language Police to have it registered as an Acceptable Term?

No, but I am pretty sure I am allowed to use it, as I run this side business ;) (just so you know to whom you will have to pay 20 bucks if you attempt the same)

dictionary.gif

What remains doubtful is if you are fully compliant with the Acronym Police :w00t::ph34r::

http://www.acronympolice.org/

I suspect that you often use ATM, DVD and NIC improperly.... :whistle:

jaclaz

Another reason to use AV protection and to keep it up to date: 

Antivirus Works Too Well, Gripe Cybercops

For years, police have been in a cat-and-mouse game with an unexpected foe that can frustrate investigations—antivirus software.

Law enforcement's battle against Symantec Corp.'s Norton, Intel Corp.'s McAfee brands and others gained new attention this month after anonymous activists published documents from FinFisher GmbH, a secretive German firm that sells computer code to help governments snoop on targets. Amid customer names and secret price lists, the cache exposed complaints from authorities that antivirus programs had thwarted their planned surveillance.

[...]

In 2012, a FinFisher customer who at one point called himself "Khalid from Pakistan," complained that antivirus software from Symantec and Bitdefender could block his agency's spying, according to the leaked FinFisher documents. FinFisher's tech support said he needed to upgrade to version 4.2.

A year earlier, a Qatar agency bemoaned that it couldn't "install the infection file" if the target used an antivirus program from Avast Software s.r.o. That is what Avast's software is supposed to do, said Vincent Steckler, chief executive of the Czech company.

One FinFisher product allows anyone with access to a target computer to insert a USB drive and download usernames, passwords and documents, according to previously leaked documents. But in 2011, the company told an Estonian agency it might need another way in. "Unfortunately I have to inform you that we aren't able to bypass the [McAfee antivirus] product with current FinUSB loader," the FinFisher representative wrote back.

[...]

FinFisher may be gaining an edge against antivirus software. The leaked documents show it has a working relationship with Vupen, a French surveillance company that boasts in ads that its tools "bypass all modern security protections and exploit mitigation technologies," including antivirus.

In a Twitter post earlier this month, Vupen CEO Chaouki Bekrar said his company only sells to governments, not other surveillance firms. In a June email exchange with a reporter, Mr. Bekrar said Vupen only sells to federal agencies in the U.S.

As of April, FinFisher claimed it could sneak past most antivirus vendors, though it sometimes had trouble with software from Slovakia-based ESET, Russia's Kaspersky Lab ZAO and Panda Security SL of Spain, according to one of the leaked documents.

--JorgeA

No, but I am pretty sure I am allowed to use it, as I run this side business ;) (just so you know to whom you will have to pay 20 bucks if you attempt the same)

dictionary.gif

Have the charges been adjusted for inflation since enforcement began in his (apparently the 19th) century? The answer will determine how careful I am...

What remains doubtful is if you are fully compliant with the Acronym Police :w00t::ph34r::

http://www.acronympolice.org/

I suspect that you often use ATM, DVD and NIC improperly.... :whistle:

FWIW, TBH, AFAIK I have IMHO not committed any of those infractions IIRC.

Oddly enough, "PC computer" might be defensible by a skillful lawyer on the grounds that the speaker really meant a "politically correct" computer...

--JorgeA

By the way, on analysis using virtual metallurgy I believe I've found the MSFN "gears" to be made of aluminum.

Gears3D.jpg

Veeery nice. :)

I'm not sure I dare analyze the $...

-Noel

:lol:

--JorgeA

HP still pushing Windows 7 laptops well into Windows 8's second year

... We suspect that the reason HP is pushing these machines is that they have a higher satisfaction rate, and knowing that consumers like Windows 7, it becomes an easier sell for HP.

No matter the reasoning, it is a blow to Windows 8 and emphasizes the reason why Windows Threshold can't come soon enough for the company, as they battle to undo the woes of its current OS.

Even Neowin is climbing off the Win8 bandwagon.

... How do we know that Windows 8 is not doing well? For one thing, Microsoft has stopped releasing Windows 8 sales figures, and if we look at usage share, Windows 7 dramatically trumps that of Windows 8.

--JorgeA

Microsoft expected to announce Windows 9 on September 30

Windows Threshold: Rapid release is getting really interesting

On current internal builds of Windows Threshold, you can upgrade builds with a single click of a button. How it works is that when you open Windows Update, there is a new feature in this area that allows you to upgrade your build of Windows, meaning you could go from build 9825 to 9829 with a single click.

If this carries over to the official release, it will be a heck of a lot simpler than the way they handled the transition from 8 to 8.1 which required a visit to the Windows Store to download a whole ISO, and closer to the way Service Packs used to be delivered (with a simple click via Windows Update). Another UX improvement.

--JorgeA

On current internal builds of Windows Threshold, you can upgrade builds with a single click of a button. How it works is that when you open Windows Update, there is a new feature in this area that allows you to upgrade your build of Windows, meaning you could go from build 9825 to 9829 with a single click.

Given the traditional reliability of pre-release builds and of Windows Updates, combining the two seems like an interesting shortcut to get faster, simpler BSOD's ;).

You may want to notice however :) that they talk of a "single click" and NOT of a "single tap". :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

If this carries over to the official release, it will be a heck of a lot simpler than the way they handled the transition from 8 to 8.1 which required a visit to the Windows Store to download a whole ISO, and closer to the way Service Packs used to be delivered (with a simple click via Windows Update). Another UX improvement.

--JorgeA

All the Windows Update tech is already in place.  Service packs have always gone in as a big update.  Beyond that, every recent set of updates has been in the hundreds of megabytes, which says that the infrastructure is worthy.

The question that comes to my mind is:  Why is it newsworthy?

Should it be breaking news every time they drop back to working technology instead of something new they botched?

Shakespeare's character said "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."  Perhaps the second thing out to be to consider Marketeers.  Does the job description involve the term "spin"?  Off with their heads!  :crazy:

-Noel

Shakespeare's character said "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."  Perhaps the second thing out to be to consider Marketeers.  Does the job description involve the term "spin"?  Off with their heads!  :crazy:

-Noel

Don't forget hairdressers and phone sanitizers ;) (and a few more "useless" professions):

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Golgafrinchan_(race)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_in_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Golgafrincham

jaclaz

All the Windows Update tech is already in place.  Service packs have always gone in as a big update.  Beyond that, every recent set of updates has been in the hundreds of megabytes, which says that the infrastructure is worthy.

The question that comes to my mind is:  Why is it newsworthy?

Should it be breaking news every time they drop back to working technology instead of something new they botched?

It really shouldn't be news, but given the past three years things are such that it is noteworthy that the folks at Microsoft have adopted a (more) sane approach to the UX that they've been asking their Windows customers to adopt.

There are still some isolated Metro holdouts, however. Check out this guy, and then see how he gets skewered in the comments. Click-bait or no, bet he's sorry he brought the whole thing up.

--JorgeA