Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Some more tidbits: It has now a SteamGuard like protection system. You should enter a keycode at installation that MS sends to you per mail. (when you use MS accounts). You can skip that though.

Boot to Desktop-option is there but it feels weird: You still have the lock screen and the metro-styled login-screen (which have a completely different style than the Desktop). After you log-in, you get thrown immediately into the Desktop, without any kind of transitional animation or fade effect, in opposite to the previous Windows versions. This stark smash cut generates a disorientating feeling, unpleasant and almost uncomfortable. Given how NuMS behaves, I won't be surprised if they did this on purpose, to move users away from "boot to desktop". Kinda in line how they have uglified the Desktop in general.

if you click on the Desktop tile on the start screen, there is a transitional animation. The lack of it is very noticable with boot-to-desktop.

Edited by Formfiller

@JorgeA and anyone else considering the change,

If you are truly looking at making a move to Linux, please bear in mind that you can have many desktops. You can set up where you can have a different desktop environment every day of the week. I have a granddaughter that almost does that and it drives me nuts (most would say short trip). I made the switch about 5 or 6 years ago. I still use Windows 2K almost daily, but most of the time in a Virtual Machine.

I had a hard time grasping some things, until I finally read somewhere that "everything is treated as file" in Linux. After that, things started to make more sense. It is a different OS and does things differently, so expect to have a steep learning curve. Has it been worth it? In my opinion yes. If you are looking for stability and slower upgrade cycle, then take a look at Debian or Debian Mint.

I use an older release of Ubuntu, but I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu to anyone these days. I don't like a lot of change and the last thing I really need in my production environment is a broken system/software package on a busy workday. I live by the old rule of thumb "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!" something that our Redmond friends have not heard of or have forgotten.

Here are couple of books that you might find of interest if you decide to go further with Linux: Linux In A Nutshell, published by O'Reilly, isbn # 0-596-00930-5, mine is the 5th edition, so there may be a newer version out now, and Running Linux, published by O'Reilly, isbn # 0-596-00760-4, also a 5th edition.

When I started my migration, I installed Linux on a separate computer that wouldn't be a major pain if it became hosed. Then I installed on a laptop and then finally on my main desktop computer. All of them keep a dual boot ability, in case there is something that I need to do in Windows, that I can't do in a Virtual Machine. Most of them are Windows 2K, so I have now made it clear that I am Ludite.

Above all, always remember this: What ever you use, it is ONLY an operating system. If your choice works for you and does everything you need to do, then by all means, use it. Don't change just to be fashionable.

bpalone

edited to fix my DS mistake in spelling Jorge's name.

Edited by bpalone

:blink: From the dragon's lair:

Windows-8_1-Setup-SkyDrive.jpg

Considering that they lost that lawsuit and must strike the name "SkyDrive" from the world, images like that means they have their work cut out for them. It looks like they already impregnated many BMPs into install files and I almost feel sorry for them now.

Of course they could just switch that one letter to make the job easier ... SkyDrive ---> SpyDrive.

Windows RT Recovery Image Here for 8.1 Upgrade Issues ( Tom's Hardware 2013-10-21 )

Microsoft offers Surface RT Recovery Image download for Windows RT 8.1 issues ( NeoWin 2013-10-21 )

I think this is only a partial solution for the problems seen the past few days. Near as I can tell this "recovery image" is only for devices that bricked with a BSOD. I see no evidence that Microsoft came to its senses and offer a downloadable ISO of Windows 8.1 Blew or at least an offline service pack installer. But that would make sense, therefore it is not being considered.

Some commenters asked a darn good question ... since this thing RTM'd back in August and only hit GA just now. How is it possible that they did not find this error already? Their testers should have been updating from Wi-Fi routers on typical broadband providers reproducing what users would have in the real world, rather than sitting in their cushy offices using broadband service no-one else has.

Want to see something funny? Check out these instructions from the Tom's Hardware article to fix startup error 0xc000000d. While you're reading it, remember that the demographic is mostly MetroTards using Windows ReTard Edition who are so skilled that the Start Menu looks complicated. They are using an OS that is mostly desktop-less by design, and using the command line is comparable to rocket science ...

1) Download the recovery drive files.

a) Go to http://download.microsoft.com

B) In the Search box enter Surface RT Recovery and the press Enter.

c) Tap or click on Surface RT Recovery in the search results and follow the instructions on the screen to download.

2) When the download is complete, create the Surface USB recovery drive.

a) Insert your USB drive into the USB port of your PC.

B) From the desktop, open File Explorer.

c) Tap and Hold or right-click on the USB drive and choose Format.

d) Select FAT32 as the file system and enter a Volume label to name the USB drive, such as RECOVERY, and then tap or click Start.

e) Tap or click OK to erase the contents of the USB drive.

f) Tap or click OK when the format is complete.

g) Copy the contents of the recovery image you downloaded to the USB flash drive.

Use a Surface RT USB recovery drive to fix startup error 0xc000000d

1) Turn Surface RT off by pressing the power button.

2) Start Surface RT using the USB recovery drive.

a) Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.

B) Press and hold the volume-down () rocker.

c) Press and release the power button.

d) When the Surface logo appears, release the volume rocker.

e) Surface will start the recovery software on the USB recovery drive.

3) When prompted, choose your language options and keyboard layout.

4) Tap or click Troubleshoot.

5) Tap or click Advanced Options.

6) Tap or click Command Prompt.

7) From the BitLocker screen, tap on the screen to hide the touch keyboard and then tap or click Skip This Drive at the bottom of the screen.

8) At the command prompt,

a) Type bootrec /rebuildbcd, and then press Enter.

B) When asked Add installation to boot list? Yes (Y) No (N) All (A) type the letter A, and then press Enter.

c) Type Exit, and then press Enter. The command prompt window will close.

9) Tap or click Continue.

10) Surface will restart and complete the Windows RT 8.1 update.

11) After the Windows RT 8.1 update is complete, sign in to Windows.

12) Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search, then enter command. In the search results, tap and hold Command Prompt, release and then tap Run as administrator. (If youre using a keyboard, use Windows+X and then tap or click Command Prompt (Admin).)

13) At the administrator command prompt,

a) Type reagentc /enable, and then press Enter.

B) Type diskpart and then press enter.

c) At the DISKPART> prompt,

i) Type sel disk 0 and then press Enter.

ii) Type sel part 5 and then press Enter.

iii) Type Assign letter=R and then press Enter.

iv) Type Exit and then press Enter to exit the DISKPART command.

d) Type reagentc /setosimage /path R:\recoveryimage /index 4 and then press Enter.

e) Type Exit, and then press Enter. The command prompt window will close.

14) Remove the USB recovery drive from Surface.

15) Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings. Tap or click Power, and then tap or click Restart.

Surface will restart and the Windows RT 8.1 update will be complete.

Oh yeah, that's gonna end well :lol:

Report: Windows 8.1 causing heavy mouse lag in some PC games ( NeoWin 2013-10-21 )

In this case, according to a post on Reddit, the changes in the DPI framework have caused games that don't use Raw Input or DirectInput to get hit with a massive amount of mouse lag. Among the games that are being affected by these problems are Deus Ex: Human Revolution, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Prypiat, Metro 2033 and some games in Activision's Call of Duty series. It also seems to affect hardware that includes mice products with a high polling rate and high DPI.

We have emailed Microsoft to see if they are aware of this issue and, if so, do they have plans to fix the problems in a patch. In the meantime, the Reddit post has some rather complicated instructions on a possible workaround but it may not work for all games that are affected by this latest issue with Windows 8.1.

And the hits just keep on coming. No word back from the mothership yet, I imagine they have their hands full these past few days. :yes:

Interview: Stardock's CEO tells us about their new Windows 8.1 program, Launch8 ( NeoWin 2013-10-21 )

Attention Jorge, 3rd interview in a row ( 1st was Tihiy and StartIsBack, 2nd was Classic Shell, and now Stardock ). Pretty much the same fare, and once again no links to the actual product ( just to other NeoWin pages ).

Microsoft can now sell Office 365 to U.S. Department of Defense ( NeoWin 2013-10-21 )

Umm, considering that the spooks at No Such Agency work for DoD there isn't any surprise here. This was a fait accompli, as is selling all Microsoft products to the spook department. Their secret collaboration with them since Vista can be seen now as just another more elaborate form of lobbying ( because of the fact that they of all companies were the first to sign on, even before Google, remains a very interesting fact that has received little comment ).

The Weather forecast is still cloudy with a good chance of downtime ...

Facebook Posting Errors Force People to Communicate Face to Face ( Maximum PC 2013-10-21 )

Facebook status updates, other interactions temporarily broken (Update) ( NeoWin 2013-10-21 )

The problem seems to have first occurred early this morning. By about 9 AM CDT, the Chicago Tribune noted that "some functionality has returned," like being able to post to business pages, but that commenting was still hit or miss. In addition, it says birthday wishes aren't working.

The website Down Right Now (not to be confused with Down For Everyone or Just Me, both of which are handy bookmarks) indicates Facebook is likely experiencing a "service disruption," and based on user complaints, it appears to be a worldwide issue.

Do the world a favor and just stay down.

At least 10 million 'innocent' files destroyed in MegaUpload shutdown ( TechSpot 2013-10-21 )

They ultimately discovered that 31 percent of content on Megaupload was infringing but perhaps more importantly, at least four percent of the 250 million uploads or around 10 million files were clearly original content. Furthermore, researchers were unable to determine the nature of 65 percent of files uploaded which means many of those could have also been original content created by users and not copyrighted material.

Doesn't this really beg the question of why Microsoft's SpyDrive which is nominally on USA soil doesn't get shutdown and wiped for "infringing content" when MegaUpload which wasn't on USA soil did? This reinforces the protected status of Big Corporate Data, the favored sons of the powers-that-be, from their incessant lobbying and support of candidates, and of course from their previously unknown massive collaboration with spooks.

Verizon website glitch potentially exposed texting data of any phone number ( TechSpot 2013-10-21 )

The hack involved Verizons download to spreadsheet function on their website which lets customers download a CSV file of the date, time and the recipient of texts send and received. The URL to download the CSV file contained the users phone number and when that number was changed, it would let a user download a report for the associated URL number. Oops.

Sorry, but that's NOT a hack! :no: That is a publicly available URL. The private texting data is sitting on public facing servers obtainable by merely requesting the URL and Verizon's servers dutifully oblige with no authentication. This is the level of security that Corporate Big Data thinks is appropriate for their paying customers. I guarantee one thing you won't find on the public facing servers are private data for the staff and board of Verizon, or their text messages, or their addresses and credit cards. Yep, the cloud is here, aren't you glad?

The Competition ...

Man vexed by iOS 7; accuses Apple of corporate thuggery', sues CEO ( NeoWin 2013-10-21 )

His claim specifically requests the removal of the iOS 7 installation file, which downloads itself to devices and prompts users to install and upgrade to the latest OS version. This behaviour is no different to how iOS 5 and 6 were delivered to devices; however, the major user interface changes in iOS 7 perhaps in addition to bugs and app crashes are likely behind Menachers decision to take legal action.

I love this story. Once again there are so many soft parallels to the Windows universe, probably because Microsoft is so busy copying Apple. The funny thing is that a lot of MicroZealots are agreeing with him even though they haven't sufficient cognitive dissonance to realize they are describing their own toys as well.

iOS 7 User-Experience Appraisal ( NNGroup 2013-10-12 )

Nielsen Norman Group critique of Jony Ive's butchering of the iOS GUI usability. Enormously thorough article with lots of detailed points. I'm glad to see they noticed the detrimental effect of flattening icons to 2D and simultaneously blurring the background which is just caustic to visibility ...

However, one visual change does have negative usability implications: the new icon designs. Just as people have gotten used to looking for certain features under certain icons, all the icons sport a new look. Even just changing the background color of an icon is bad, because users would have gotten used to scanning the screen for the red square or something like that. Changing the actual content of an icon is even worse, because it destroys users ability to recognize it.

Apple has demolished millions of hours of user learning by changing the icons.

Yep. It's a form of sadism really. The simple solution would have been a selectable theme using the old way or the new way ( plus 3rd party ways ). But no, not with Jony Ive, a hipster who thinks he knows better than everyone else.

And that video mentioned by Jaclaz ...

How to recreate the iOS 7 home screen and iPhone hardware in Microsoft Word ( TechSpot 2013-10-21 )

'Was iOS 7 created in Microsoft Word?' ( NeoWin 2013-10-21 )

What this is is a video by someone who re-creates an image of an iPhone with iOS 7 in vector objects ... using Microsoft Word, most likely from that god-forsaken 2013 version. He records all the object creation and then speeds up the video. Kind of a fun thing even though he is auditioning for something because using these tools makes little sense.

Notable to me is the fact that the MicroZealots get a kick out of it because they seem to think it means iOS is crappy eneough to be drawn in Microsoft Word. But ... they cannot even fathom that it would take one tenth the time to reproduce Windows 8 :yes:

Also very interesting to me is that this type of illustrating has been part of Microsoft Word since I believe Windows 3.1. Remember all the "MsApps" OLE components of the Office programs, particularly MsDraw. Watching that video tells me that the vector susbsystem of Word has changed very little really, and because of that horrific 2013 interface with the ribbon and the whitewashed GUI and flat visuals, it looks like a throwback to Windows 3.1 once again.

EDIT: typos, clarity

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

I have just installed the 8.1 90 days demo just for this ...

Wow, I salute your selfless dedication to teratology Formiller :) .

... Want to see something funny? Check out these instructions from the Tom's Hardware article to fix startup error 0xc000000d. While you're reading it, remember that the demographic is mostly MetroTards using Windows ReTard Edition who are so skilled that the Start Menu looks complicated. They are using an OS that is mostly desktop-less by design, and using the command line is comparable to rocket science ...

1) Download the recovery drive files.

a) Go to http://download.microsoft.com

In the Search box enter Surface RT Recovery and the press Enter.

c) Tap or click on Surface RT Recovery in the search results and follow the instructions on the screen to download.

2) When the download is complete, create the Surface USB recovery drive.

a) Insert your USB drive into the USB port of your PC.

From the desktop, open File Explorer.

c) Tap and Hold or right-click on the USB drive and choose Format.

d) Select FAT32 as the file system and enter a Volume label to name the USB drive, such as RECOVERY, and then tap or click Start.

e) Tap or click OK to erase the contents of the USB drive.

f) Tap or click OK when the format is complete.

g) Copy the contents of the recovery image you downloaded to the USB flash drive.

Use a Surface RT USB recovery drive to fix startup error 0xc000000d

1) Turn Surface RT off by pressing the power button.

2) Start Surface RT using the USB recovery drive.

a) Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.

Press and hold the volume-down () rocker.

c) Press and release the power button.

d) When the Surface logo appears, release the volume rocker.

e) Surface will start the recovery software on the USB recovery drive.

3) When prompted, choose your language options and keyboard layout.

4) Tap or click Troubleshoot.

5) Tap or click Advanced Options.

6) Tap or click Command Prompt.

7) From the BitLocker screen, tap on the screen to hide the touch keyboard and then tap or click Skip This Drive at the bottom of the screen.

8) At the command prompt,

a) Type bootrec /rebuildbcd, and then press Enter.

When asked Add installation to boot list? Yes (Y) No (N) All (A) type the letter A, and then press Enter.

c) Type Exit, and then press Enter. The command prompt window will close.

9) Tap or click Continue.

10) Surface will restart and complete the Windows RT 8.1 update.

11) After the Windows RT 8.1 update is complete, sign in to Windows.

12) Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search, then enter command. In the search results, tap and hold Command Prompt, release and then tap Run as administrator. (If youre using a keyboard, use Windows+X and then tap or click Command Prompt (Admin).)

13) At the administrator command prompt,

a) Type reagentc /enable, and then press Enter.

Type diskpart and then press enter.

c) At the DISKPART> prompt,

i) Type sel disk 0 and then press Enter.

ii) Type sel part 5 and then press Enter.

iii) Type Assign letter=R and then press Enter.

iv) Type Exit and then press Enter to exit the DISKPART command.

d) Type reagentc /setosimage /path R:\recoveryimage /index 4 and then press Enter.

e) Type Exit, and then press Enter. The command prompt window will close.

14) Remove the USB recovery drive from Surface.

15) Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings. Tap or click Power, and then tap or click Restart.

Surface will restart and the Windows RT 8.1 update will be complete.

Oh yeah, that's gonna end well :lol: ...

Commenter at Tom's :D :

After which step do i sacrifice my firstborn?

... Of course they could just switch that one letter to make the job easier ... SkyDrive ---> SpyDrive.

How about SkyFall :) ?

Edited by TELVM

Though it is unlikely that anyone with a Surface RT will ever take part to this thread, and almost certainly not the tiny minority (0.1% or 1 out of 1,000 :whistle:) that managed to brick their device, I am wondering about WHY exactly :unsure: the "recovery image", here is the article on The Verge containing the Official statement from MS:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/21/4861538/surface-rt-recovery-image-windows-rt-8-1-update-issues

Based on our investigations of a situation customers have encountered updating to Windows RT 8.1, we can confirm that as of now this is a Windows update issue only affecting Surface RT customers. While only less than 1 out of every 1,000 ( or less than 0.1%) Surface RT customers who have installed Windows RT 8.1 have been impacted, improving their experience and ensuring their systems are fully operable as quickly as possible is our number one priority. We have made recovery media available for download here along with actionable guidance for affected customers. We continue to work towards making the Windows RT 8.1 update available in the Windows Store again and apologize for any inconvenience. Further updates will be provided as they become available.

has a filename of "Surface RT 8.0 North America.zip" (and no - as a side note - they haven't yet understood how spaces in a filename may create issues, as an example I am seeing the actual URL as download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/7/837ABEB8-D419-43E0-8C7F-474004F2C016/Surface%20RT%208.0%20North%20America.zip)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Near as I can tell from the reports the RT OS looks for some kind of existing recovery information ( ESD file maybe? ) and BSODs without it. Or, I have no idea what I am talking about.

Note that Thurrott today says that the crisis is over ...

Windows RT 8.1 Update Returns. What's three days between friends? ( Thurrott 2013-10-22 )

... with more than a few more quoted Microsoft disclaimers about "only" affecting 1:1000 guinea pigs customers.

Back in the late-70's we had a crisis here in the USA, but I'm pretty sure that Tylenol didn't use that logic of "only a limited amount of customers were affected".

Yeah I know, BSOD != cyanide. I just find that incessant excuse making tedious, self-serving and unnecessary.

When you download that file, it prefers to use the Microsoft Download Manager which is as awesome as you'd expect. :no:

I'm going to grab it for funs, since MS still hasn't RTM Windows 8 RT, they have 4 days left. Anyways, I doubt anyone would care about it.

Well, the statement reported in that article:

"This was due to a rare situation where firmware updates had not completed at the time of the update to RT 8.1. In most cases, if a customer encountered this issue the result was simply an extra reboot. However, for a very small percentage, the boot configuration data was affected which prevented a successful boot. We worked to quickly resolve the issue and now encourage customers to update their Surface RT devices. Surface Pro and 8.1 customers were not impacted by this issue.
As previously announced, there is a recovery solution available for download for Surface RT customers who experienced the installation issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If an issue occurs with our software or devices, we take immediate steps to ensure a quality experience for every single customer—that's been our driving priority in this case, despite the very limited number of customers impacted. We are grateful to the customers who shared their Surface RT devices, assisting our efforts to determine the root cause quickly."

Implies that they actually borrowed affected Surface's from affected users (which - seen from another angle - plainly means that they were UNABLE to reproduce the issue on their own devices :ph34r:).

Now, I can well understand how a "race condition" (here probably created by some serious bug in sequencing/verifying the operations) is well possible, and that it can be a "rare" occasion, but it is the first time that I heard a software house incapable of reproducing such a bug on hardware they themselves produce. :w00t:

We have been told by the good MS guys for years that the blame for - say - 50% of the bugs in their stuff was because of third party hardware makers that badly implemented a standard or a guideline and that it was not possible to test Windows on all hardware, and that was the reason why the good Apple guys managed to produce less bugged OS (or at least less BSOD's - please read as unhappy faces), because they had the advantage of controlling the hardware manufacture.

Now, that they are on a par, it seems to me like that excuse doesn't hold anymore. :whistle:

jaclaz

Given how small the 8.1. update actually is in terms of features, and how tiny the Windows RT userbase is, the extend of the breakdown on Microsoft's part is truly epic. Let's not forget they have recently botched up quite a lot of Windows Updates for the previous versions as well.

Maybe all the negativity regarding Microsoft's course has reached the employees, making them unfocussed and error-prone.