WinNTSetup v5.3.5.2

JFX

WinntSetup internally fixes mount points when applying an image to a vhd . How would I do this from the CLI without using the GUI?

i.e.

Fixing Mountpoints
	Writing driveletter mountpoint of new system drive: \DosDevices\C: --> 0x09A5A6D10000100000000000

Edited by click-click

Fixing mountpoint of system drive is always done, there is no special command line switch needed. 

On 8/25/2024 at 5:43 PM, JFX said:

Fixing mountpoint of system drive is always done, there is no special command line switch needed. 

How is the fix for this done?

I was getting a BSOD c0000139 after restoring a HDD partition  to a new vhdx. The BCD had the correct entries in the boot menu. I assumed an incorrect mountpoint caused the BSOD and wanted to know the procedure to correct it when not using WinNTSetup 

Edited by click-click

Mountpoints are calculated, but if you want to do it manually

Look up the data of the new partition under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
and add it to the offline systems registry \DosDevices\C: value.

8 hours ago, click-click said:

The BCD had the correct entries in the boot menu.

I doubt that. VHDs are unique, you need to updated the BCD for every new VHD.

Yes, the currently running system has the correct data in \DosDevices\Z:.
The offline system has invalid data in \DosDevices\C:

Ok, now I have a better understanding why booting may fail. I use Runscanner to edit a remote registry for simple reg entries such as REG_DWORD BootDriverFlags, but editing a REG_BINARY value via GUI is a pain, so I guess I'll let WinNTSetup do the work. :)

Instead of using the GUI, I see a lot of options in the help for using CLI switches, so to get it right, what would be the command line needed for only updating without the GUI?

I tried WinNTSetup_x64.exe -sysPart:Q: -tempDrive:Z: -sysLetter:-C: -bcd:ALL, but that still launches the GUI and ignores the switches. I want to update via script if possible. i.e Diskpart >create/mount VHD > DriveSnapshot restore to VHD > WinNTSetup > update VHD

Edited by click-click

one last question for now :) Does WinNtSetup do anything with BootDriverFlags?

The reason I ask is that restoring/copying a Hdd partition to a VHD to be used for booting from an external usb device will give you a BSOD with 'inaccessible boot device' or error code 0xc0000001 even though the VHD was added to the boot menu with WinNtSetup. This is caused by BootDriverFlags  being 0 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\HardwareConfig in the VHD. I had to set the flags  to x'1c' so the the VHD would boot from the usb drive.

Edited by click-click

2 hours ago, click-click said:

one last question for now :) Does WinNtSetup do anything with BootDriverFlags?

No, it does not touch this value.

0x1C - is the default on Windows 10/11, so I wonder why you have a different one.

My win 8.1 vhd on the internal hdd has BootDriverFlags set to 0., but still boots fine from there. I checked the other hdd vhds  and they look okay. I wiil need to check this when deploying a new VHD on an external drive to be sure it has the correct value. I always hold by breath when booting a new VHD :D

Edited by click-click

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2024 at 4:58 PM, sharicov@gmail.com said:

Cannot install Windows 11 from Win11_23H2_English_x64v2.iso

Windows 10 installation works fine (source: Win10_22H2_EnglishInternational_x64v1.iso)

Installing on USB disk (Samsung T3)

Winntsetup version 5.3.5.2

Tried all ways: normal, VHD and VHDx ways, static and dynamic.

Getting VHD BOOT INITIALIZATION FAILED Blue Screen error or BOOT INITIALIZATION FAILED Blue Screen error depends on installation type.

Please help.

Did you make any progress on this?

Sounds like the USB disk becomes inaccessible during boot.
Did you tried different hardware to boot the USB disk?

Is there any difference with official Windows To Go setup?

@sharicov

in which case, I suggest u should check with all alternatives there are in almost every window of winntsetup.exe: when in doubt as to whether to choose "uefi" or "bios", use "all° and u should be good to go. 

Edited by Antonino