WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

@Sonic Re-uploaded, should be fixed now.
MinWin is still very experimental so more a hidden feature. It's also available on Capture WIM window by click on "compression:" label
Or via command line "-minwin:default".

@alacran 

Empty folder \Windows\Boot\Fonts is enough to make BCDBoot.exe work, no need for the fonts.

!\Windows\Boot\Fonts\ - means keep only the folder
!\Windows\Boot\Fonts - means keep folder and files, not recursive 

SysWoW.txt yeah I have to fix that.

I missed qps-ploc and qps-plocm, is there anywhere a list of all available MUI's?
Now I'm up to these 49

am-et
ar-SA
bg-BG
ca-ES
cs-CZ
da-DK
de-DE
el-GR
en-GB
es-ES
es-MX
et-EE
eu-ES
fi-FI
fr-CA
fr-FR
gl-ES
he-IL
hr-HR
hu-HU
id-ID
it-IT
ja-jp
ko-KR
lt-LT
lv-LV
nb-NO
nl-NL
pl-PL
pt-BR
pt-PT
qps-ploc
qps-plocm
ro-RO
ru-RU
si-lk
sk-SK
sl-SI
sr-Latn-RS
sv-SE
ta-in
ta-lk
th-TH
ti-et 
tr-TR
uk-UA
vi-VN
zh-CN
zh-TW

There is nothing hard coded expect the folder names and the WinSxS.ini.
After processing The Remove folder all orphaned *.mui and *.mun files will be deleted.

Edited by JFX

MinWin Install with Printer and Scanner Enabled in DrvStore_Inf.txt works OK, when Printer is Connected AFTER Install.

Bluetooth Audio Device Added AFTER Install works OK, but Bluetooth cannot be Selected as Playback Device

Can Print LibreOffice Document. I should say everything works except Selection of Bluetooth as Audio Playback Device

MinWin_PRT_BTH_2022-03-11_095349.thumb.jpg.bb088754d6739e1bb96d4bd98fa04282.jpg

On 3/11/2022 at 1:51 AM, JFX said:

Looks like a bug with MEGA, removing and creating a new link doesn't help.

Rename it to WinNTSetup_version_522.rar, and try again, maybe that can help.

alacran

Seems MEGA works again.

For the Bluetooth stuff, well if have no real interest in it, so it's to you guys.
But as for the LogFiles problem, next version will take care of this.

JFYI

Some comments that I think may be usefull:

Usually majority of ETL files in standard OS are located into \Windows\System32\winevt\Logs, this folder doesn't exits in MinWin, so we don't have to worry for it, but many LOG and ETL files are also created in several other locations.

In MinWin the LOG and ELT files created after first boot are 100+ MB, and even more acumulate every boot, for more detailed info and files list please see this post.

Back in 2020-11-09 I experimented replacing some of this folders, containing the unwanted files, with 0 bytes files to mitigate the creation of so many LOG and ELT files.

The trick worked fine, and I made an script to do this, latter Wonko sugessted a more elegant version of the script, and wimb added it to his Win_Reduce_Trusted program.

Anyway I made a new updated version of my CMD file, and tested running it as TI by means of PowerRun, just after making a MinWin istallation in a VHD still mounted in drive H, for more detailed info please see this post.

Safe-to-Replace.cmd

@echo off
;
; Following will delete some folders, to latter create a 0 bytes file with same name,
; to avoid the potential re-creation of the folder and this way send new ETL/LOG files to limbo,
; they will be deleted only if present
;
rmdir "H:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\wfp" /s /q
rmdir "H:\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs" /s /q
rmdir "H:\Windows\Logs" /s /q
rmdir "H:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" /s /q
rmdir "H:\Windows\System32\SleepStudy" /s /q
rmdir "H:\Windows\System32\WDI" /s /q
rmdir "H:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader" /s /q
rmdir "H:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" /s /q
rmdir "H:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /s /q
;
; Following files will be created only if there in not a folder or file with same name
;
fsutil file createnew "H:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\wfp" 0
fsutil file createnew "H:\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs" 0
fsutil file createnew "H:\Windows\Logs" 0
fsutil file createnew "H:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" 0
fsutil file createnew "H:\Windows\System32\SleepStudy" 0
fsutil file createnew "H:\Windows\System32\WDI" 0
fsutil file createnew "H:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader" 0
fsutil file createnew "H:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" 0
fsutil file createnew "H:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" 0

Exit

All was successful except the two last lines in both sections.

The 0 bytes files were not created in:

H:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent   >>>   the folder was still present.

H:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache   >>>   the folder didn't exists yet and the file also was not created.

Then manually deleted the folder and created the two 0 bytes files in both locations.

Rebooted, and all was fine.

Now since the very first boot avoided the creation of a lot of LOG and ETL files.  During first boot now they only use 48.4 MB, not more than 100 MB as before, I deleted all the remaing from SwiftSearch TI, and also made from booted MinWin the following directory junction:

MKLINK /J C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles F:\VHD\Logfiles   >>>   DO NOT replace it by a 0 bytes folder.

During boot the OS writes info into \Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup   >>>   Criticall for booting

But, I found an unexpected result, following additional 0 bytes files were created (after first boot) too:

\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent
\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent
\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache
\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache

So far I haven't noticed any issue, and all seems to work fine.

Also I suggest to disable following services in MinWin:

Diagtrack, DPS and SysMain.

By the way I noticed some files that were deleted during MinWin installtion, were re-created after first boot:

\Windows\Installer\SourceHash* >>> was re-created.
\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache-*.dat >>> all re-created.

I made a new finding:

\Windows\System32\dxdiagn.dll  >>>  is listed for deletion, comment it to avoid deletion because dxdiag.exe (directx dignostic) that is not listed for deletion, will be present in our build, and will not work without dxdiagn.dll

alacran

Edited by alacran

Most of these log files can simply be disabled in the registry, but yes I'll should add a "dummy file" feature.
Dxdiag.exe should be deleted. There are some hundred of *.exe files that could also be deleted,
but I did not want to make a choice for default profile.

Edited by JFX

• JFX changed the title to WinNTSetup v5.2.3

Version 5.23 is up and should greatly reduce log file creation / size.

There is also a Services.ini and Tasks.ini showing how to disable or remove services and scheduled task.

• wimb featured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

WinNTSetup 5.2.4

- fixed Regimport did not support multi line binary data with inline comments
- MinWin: added support for Unicode / UTF-8 text files
- MinWin: added support for subfolders
- MinWin: text files can have condition on first line to enable/disable the entire file

• JFX changed the title to WinNTSetup v5.2.4
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi kolobok5447, welcome to the forum.

For EFI part make sure you select a FAT or FAT32 formatted partition.
WinNTSetup also checks if the partition ID is correct and shows warning icon if not.

3 hours ago, JFX said:

you can still use the old version 4.25

I wanted to try this software , unfortunately this version you've mentioned is absent in your download links. The oldest there is 4.5.0. Thanks.