Java Runtime on Win98

affter333

You can follow the instructions on MDGx's page to install JRE 1.6.07 (last official version for w9x)

OR

try to install a more recent version (preferably in combination with KernelEx so that you can use an up-to-date browser). Remember though, JRE 1.6.10 and later versions are set to use the next-gen Java plugin by default, so you will need to untick this setting in Java Control Panel in order to bring the classic Java plugin back.

• 1 month later...

You can follow the instructions on MDGx's page to install JRE 1.6.07 (last official version for w9x)

OR

try to install a more recent version (preferably in combination with KernelEx so that you can use an up-to-date browser). Remember though, JRE 1.6.10 and later versions are set to use the next-gen Java plugin by default, so you will need to untick this setting in Java Control Panel in order to bring the classic Java plugin back.

unfortunately, recent versions of Sun Java JRE (1.6.10 and greater) require at least Windows Installer 3.1 and that version of MSI doesn't work under Win98/ME.

I know this from experience. Tried to install JRE 1.6.22 recently under Win98/ME & latest KernelEx; doesn't work.

unfortunately, recent versions of Sun Java JRE (1.6.10 and greater) require at least Windows Installer 3.1 and that version of MSI doesn't work under Win98/ME.

I know this from experience. Tried to install JRE 1.6.22 recently under Win98/ME & latest KernelEx; doesn't work.

Really strange, because I have Java 6 update 22 on my PC (KernelEx 4.5 RC 4 is installed) and it works normally with Firefox 3.5.15 (next-generation Java plugin is disabled).

Edited by rainyd

Interesting.

Maybe it is because there are different Java packages with the same version. I tried to install one (maybe 1.6.04) downloaded from the Sun site and it failed. Then I downloaded the "same" from FileHippo, that installed without problems. This file was different in size. It clearly used an earlier installer integrated.

Also, I think one must examine the manual install method for Java (command line switches etc.),

there are reportedly faulty or picky packages which cannot be installed on some systems.

I had some luck with another version, there the trick was to extract the package under XP, then do some command line wizardry for a forced setup, then adding a few entries to the registry and voila it worked. You might say that is too much hassle...

OS Win ME, KEX 4.5 RC4, RP 9.6.6, Win Installer 2.0

Java plugin 1.6 update 22 works in Opera 10.1 without renaming "new plugin" in the Java programm folder (java next generation checked)

verified: Pluginchecker.com and java.com 

I must remame "new plugin" for Firefox 3.5.15 and K- Meleon 1.54 to use classic Java. Java classic doesn't work with Firefox 3.6.x and Opera 10.6x

(Offline installation filesize 15,3MB -internet connection not allowed-)