Device driver database..?

spinjector

In Windows Device Mangler, on the Properties page of a device, the "Details" tab lists the "Device Instance Id" in the format VEN_xxxx DEV_yyyy.

Does anyone know of an online database that lists these vendors and devices?

I thought Microsoft would have a list, but I have yet to find it. =-/

Thanks.

I think it should do the trick for you

... unless it's a USB device, in which case there's another list. Firewire and P-Card/PCMCIA devices also have other lists.

Microsoft doesn't maintain such lists (at least, not publicly) as they're not the authority for those things (very much like OUI's for ethernet devices), the lists pretty much change daily, and having a complete list of every vendor & productid ever made is just about impossible unless you somehow manage to get every single manufacturer to send you the infos on every single device they've ever built.

UnknownDevices by Halfdone has a full list read by an application.

Look also at SYSLINUX program HDT.C32, which does the same thing from a boot cdrom, complete with four different tables for PCI/USB/etc.

For some reason this thread just reminded me of MicroHouse.

Alas, if i am ever trying to find a HwID, I do a string search in my drivers folder. In there I have all the downloads from DriverPacks and can usually find just about anything I'm looking for.

• 5 months later...

I just stumbled on this again...

Here's basically the same thing, but using PowerShell 2:

$usb = Import-Csv .\usb.if -Delimiter "|" -Header VendorID, Vendor

foreach ($entry in $usb) { $entry.VendorID = [string]::Format("{0:X4}", [int]$entry.VendorID) }

$usb | ConvertTo-Csv -NoTypeInformation > "USB Vendor IDs List.csv"

The first line gets the content of usb.if, the second line converts the Vendor ID to its hex representation (optional), and the third line writes it to a csv file.

There's tons of quick and easy "tweaks", like:

-Prefixing the hex Vendor ID with 0x:

foreach ($entry in $usb) { $entry.VendorID = [string]::Format("0x{0:X4}", [int]$entry.VendorID) }

-Sorting the list by Vendor name instead:

$usb | sort Vendor | ConvertTo-Csv -NoTypeInformation > "USB Vendor IDs List.csv"

-Or even outputting to a different format, like a HTML page:

$usb | sort Vendor | ConvertTo-Html -property VendorID, Vendor -title "USB Vendor ID Listing" > "USB Vendor IDs List.htm"

(you can do the same using ConvertTo-Xml if you really want some XML)

You can even make the script automatically download the latest usb.if using DownloadString method of the System.Net.WebClient class, skipping the manual download/temp file altogether:

$dl = New-Object System.Net.WebClient

$raw = $dl.DownloadString("http://www.usb.org/developers/tools/comp_dump")

$usb = ConvertFrom-Csv $raw -Delimiter "|" -Header VendorID, Vendor

foreach ($entry in $usb) { $entry.VendorID = [string]::Format("{0:X4}", [int]$entry.VendorID) }

$usb | ConvertTo-Csv -NoTypeInformation > "USB Vendor IDs List.csv"

Of course, one can mix & match all the tweaks (like auto-downloading and the ID prefixed with 0x, sorted by Vendor name and outputted as HTML). I only used the sort and foreach aliases (for Sort-Object & ForEach-Object) as it's pretty clear what they do (one also cold use ipcsv instead of Import-Csv and so on, very much like you could try to make it into a terse one-liner).

That is all.