SD Card (4GB) - Boot as preffered Drive U: Possible?

robekia

Sorry to open a new Topic for the subject mentioned (and it might be a stupid question also) but actually, i'm looking for this facility since the time i read the Topic of CDOB.

I was looking for his solution "How to install multi operating system by the use of USB Flash and finally i got it from his Topic (thanks CDOB).

i Bought a new Labtop (Acer Aspire 5738) whitch has a built in SD Card reader.

When i used Flash memory 2GB to simulate his solution, the Flash seen as Preffered Boot Drive U:

My problem is:

1 - When i used Flash memory > 2GB to simulate his solution, the Flash seen as Drive D:

2 - When i used SD memory Card, the SD always seen as Drive D:

the above results is not suitable for me as i always needs the Windows Setup Drive to be HIGHER than H:

Is it possible? How??

Edited by robekia

Where i can find ParentIDprefix ?

i'm using the SD in the same Labtop right now (Acer ASPIRE 5738).

do i have to use this file instead of the one included in multiboot_10_usb?

I Found that reference in REG:

7&d7f206a&0

This is the results when i run the CMD:

[Version]

Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[Addreg]

HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices",,0x00000010

HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\StorageDevicePolicies","WriteProtect",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices","\DosDevices\U:",0x00030001,\

5C,17,5C,17,00,5E,C6,52,07,00,00,00

Edited by robekia

Did you run the script against your drive letter of the sd card?

MkMigrateInf_c.cmd G: c:\migrate_inf.txt

Replace G: with whatever letter the SD card is.

Where i can find ParentIDprefix ?

magicalsnap200911041843.th.jpg

Or http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbhistory/

usbhistory.exe > c:\usb_history.txt

Please attach this file, it's quite interesting to dig deeper into this.

do i have to use this file instead of the one included in multiboot_10_usb?
Yes, replacing the one in ~BT folder.

Clarification- migrate.inf is generated by older version of MkMigrateInf.cmd from your local registry, usb_multiboot does not have a 'generic' migrate.inf included.

the previous "MkMigrateInf_c.cmd" run wasn't with any parameters.

When i run "MkMigrateInf_c.cmd H: migrate_inf.txt" --> i got the attached.

migrate_inf.txt

I run "usbhistory.exe > c:\usb_history.txt" --> i got the attached.

usb_history.txt

Number (3) is my drive (H:) Built in Card reader

please tell me what to do right now? and whether the procedure that you'll tell me can be applied to any Labtop?

My problem is:

1 - When i used Flash memory > 2GB to simulate his solution, the Flash seen as Drive D:

2 - When i used SD memory Card, the SD always seen as Drive D:

Which one is a typo and which one is correct?

Are contents of the previous migrate.inf similar, the one which did NOT work properly and gave you letter D during setup?

Did you produce migrate_inf.txt on the laptop in question, with freshly installed Windows?

We need to compare what prefix was used where you prepared the SD card, and the prefix used on the machine where Windows is being installed onto.

Sorry, My Internet connection dropped down yesterday.

Which one is a typo and which one is correct?
No typo, both cases happened

Mainly, any (Flash or SD) used over 2GB causes the problem.

Are contents of the previous migrate.inf similar, the one which did NOT work properly and gave you letter D during setup?
Both contents similar except the OLD one has extra fields as folow:

[strings]

;Handy macro substitutions non-localizable

REG_SZ = 0x00000000

REG_BINARY = 0x00000001

REG_DWORD = 0x00010001

REG_MULTI_SZ = 0x00010000

REG_SZ_APPEND = 0x00010008

REG_EXPAND_SZ = 0x00020000

Did you produce migrate_inf.txt on the laptop in question, with freshly installed Windows?
NO, i need to prepare the Fresh Setup first before re-build my system.

BTW, i have 5 labtops at my home (AsusEee, HP500, HP530, Acer1640 and Acer5738) and all giving the same

I tried just now, and got Drive (D:) :angry:

We need to compare what prefix was used where you prepared the SD card, and the prefix used on the machine where Windows is being installed onto.
Do you suggest to use the newly generated migrate.inf although they are almost the same? Edited by robekia

When i used Flash memory 2GB to simulate his solution, the Flash seen as Preffered Boot Drive U:
Did you use RAM loaded setup in this case too, not USB_multiboot.cmd/WinSetupFromUSB?

In RAM loaded setup there is no reference so far for preserving USB drive letter, I wonder how you made it appear as U in the case above?

Did you use RAM loaded setup in this case too, not USB_multiboot.cmd/WinSetupFromUSB?

In RAM loaded setup there is no reference so far for preserving USB drive letter, I wonder how you made it appear as U in the case above?

i already try "RAM LOADED ISO" by cdob since days but unfortunately, windows seems to hang at the step of identifing the Hard disks "SETUP LOADING WINDOWS" and a blank screen appear for long long time till i shutdown the Labtop.

this is for both types (flash memory and SD), nothing success with me

I already post a message in http://www.msfn.org/board/install-xp-ram-l...ge-t137714.html

but guys there says that it is a strange bios.

i assure that SATA drives are slipstreamed with the ISO file and a correct IMG and GRUB deffinition are there and everything is ok but the ISO file hangs when reach that step.

i prefere Loading ISO RAM Setup because there is no need for many customization but i got no luck.

i still insist (THERE IS ALWAYS A SOLUTION).

:)

Edited by robekia

I'll try to summarize:

- you are using USB_multiboot10

- with USB flash stick 2GB you can get letter U: of it during setup on all machines

- with USB flash stick > 2GB or SD card of any size it does NOT get U: during setup, on all machines

Did I get it right?

i still insist (THERE IS ALWAYS A SOLUTION).

:)

Well, NO. :(

I INSIST that "there is always a solution" IF the asking member PROVIDES a clear, detailed, report of what he did.

Look, we are at post #10 in this thread and not ilko, not myself have a clear idea of what the heck is the problem.

You seem to jump back and forward from USB_multiboot10 to cdob's RAM based method completely faling to properly report the steps you have taken.

They may be very clear in your mind :), but rest assured they are not in ours, possibly because wre are a bit thick :ph34r:, but maybe also because you failed to explain the issue.

Why don't you forget anything you've posted till now and make a new post reporting in order all the steps you taken, the problems you had, etc., etc., I am sure you already did so in fragments, but we seem unable to put all the fragments together properly. :blink:

jaclaz

Given a 4GB SanDisk SD Plus USB, this is both a SD card and a USB stick.

USB SD card reader, no card inserted: XP assign a drive letter F:

The drive letter goes to the card reader, not the SD card itself.

ParentIdPrefix: 7&776bc3a&1

USB SD card reader disconnected.

SD card inserted to another USB SD card reader.

XP assign a drive letter F:, however MountedDevices is changed.

ParentIdPrefix: 7&524fc66&0

USB SD card reader disconnected.

Flash card connected as USB stick:

XP assign a drive letter F:, MountedDevices is changed again.

ParentIdPrefix: 7&3157a48c&0

The same SD card may use different ParentIdPrefix.

Migrate.inf goes to the SD card storage controller, not to the SD card.

i have 5 labtops at my home (AsusEee, HP500, HP530, Acer1640 and Acer5738)

Which laptop do you use to prepare the SD card?

Which laptop do you like to install XP to?

I'll try to summarize:

- you are using USB_multiboot10

- with USB flash stick 2GB you can get letter U: of it during setup on all machines

- with USB flash stick > 2GB or SD card of any size it does NOT get U: during setup, on all machines

Did I get it right?

Exactly.

Which laptop do you use to prepare the SD card?

Which laptop do you like to install XP to?

The answer for all is "Acer5738"

I have the folowing labtops and thier preferred installation type:

1 - AsusEee --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) or (scandisk SDHC 4GB using internal Card reader).

2 - HP500 --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) only.

3 - HP530 --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) only.

4 - Acer1640 --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) only.

5 - Acer5738 --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) or (scandisk SDHC 4GB using internal Card reader) this is the important one and this is the Labtop that used to Create/Install the image

I INSIST that "there is always a solution" IF the asking member PROVIDES a clear, detailed, report of what he did.

Look, we are at post #10 in this thread and not ilko, not myself have a clear idea of what the heck is the problem.

You seem to jump back and forward from USB_multiboot10 to cdob's RAM based method completely faling to properly report the steps you have taken.

They may be very clear in your mind :), but rest assured they are not in ours, possibly because wre are a bit thick :ph34r:, but maybe also because you failed to explain the issue.

Why don't you forget anything you've posted till now and make a new post reporting in order all the steps you taken, the problems you had, etc., etc., I am sure you already did so in fragments, but we seem unable to put all the fragments together properly. :blink:

jaclaz

@jaclaz

i'm not jumping back and forward :wacko:

please find hereunder the whole story (please be Patient):

I have the folowing labtops and thier preferred installation type:

1 - AsusEee --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) or (scandisk SDHC 4GB using internal Card reader).

2 - HP500 --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) only.

3 - HP530 --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) only.

4 - Acer1640 --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) only.

5 - Acer5738 --> Need to Use either Flash Memory (DataTraveler 8GB) or (scandisk SDHC 4GB using internal Card reader) this is the important one and this is the Labtop that used to Create/Install the image

in order to acheive that, i tried MULTIBOOT_USB_10 with another Flash Memory (Kingston Data Traveler 2GB).

as i'm using the Acer5738 for developing and building, the MUTIBOOT_USB_10 using 2GB is doing Great for all of the rest Labtops.

i was happy to be able to install my Nlited Windows XP SP3 on all these Labtops with one flash memory.

after they success, i decided to do the same for the main Labtop (Acer5738).

i decided to re-partition the hard disk and install the same windows using the Flash Memory 8GB not the 2GB in order to have one Flash having multiboot with deferent types of Nlited setup, so i rebuilt the 8GB and start to use the Acer 5738.

(I'M STILL IN MULTIBOOT_USB_10)

after booting the Acer5738 using the new 8GB and reach the step of getting the drive letter in text mode, i got it (D: even when i used the option 0 "usb stick") which is not prefered to me as i may need to install windows later on the second partition of any labtop.

i took the 8GB flash and re-try for the previous success labtops, then i found usb flash drive in all is seen as (D:) also.

then i tried to look for another solution to have one 1 way for all labtops and i found the "RAM_LOAD_ISO"

i built the ISO from the same source that used earlier using 2GB and 8GB flash memory for all the mentioned labtops, then i got the mentioned problem.

i tried with the SDHC memory card using the built-in card reader for (AsusEee and Acer5738), i got the same problem.

i hope that clarify the issue and sorry to waste your time jaclas.

i'm not intened to let people get confused, i'm trying to be always clear for descriping any problem and i feel that there is a solution (maybe it is not discovered yet) but with tries and well reading, we will have a solution not only to fix my problems but to help all people that may fail in my situation in the future, hence i said (THER IS ALWAYS A SOLUTION).

so finaly here is a clear fast track description:

1 - Using MULTIBOOT_USB_10 and 2GB Flash Memory:

A - for AsusEee --> Flash Memory seen as Drive U: --> whole story Success --> OK

B - for HP500 --> Flash Memory seen as Drive U: --> whole story Success --> OK

C - for HP530 --> Flash Memory seen as Drive U: --> whole story Success --> OK

D - for Acer1640 --> Flash Memory seen as Drive U: --> whole story Success --> OK

E - for Acer5738 --> Flash Memory seen as Drive U: --> whole story Success --> OK

2 - Using MULTIBOOT_USB_10 and 8GB Flash Memory:

A - for AsusEee --> Flash Memory seen as Drive D: --> Not OK

B - for HP500 --> Flash Memory seen as Drive D: --> Not OK

C - for HP530 --> Flash Memory seen as Drive D: --> Not OK

D - for Acer1640 --> Flash Memory seen as Drive D: --> Not OK

E - for Acer5738 --> Flash Memory seen as Drive D: --> Not OK

3 - Using MULTIBOOT_USB_10 and 4GB SDHC in built-in card reader:

A - for AsusEee --> SDHC Memory Card seen as Drive D: --> Not OK

B - for Acer5738 --> SDHC Memory Card seen as Drive D: --> Not OK

4 - Using RAM ISO LOADED and 4GB SDHC in built-in card reader:

A - for AsusEee --> Blank screen (Mentioned problem) --> whole story Failed.

E - for Acer5738 --> Blank screen (Mentioned problem) --> whole story Failed.

Edited by robekia