Windows 7 x64 vLite "extreme removal"

Jeronimo

Access denied means the operation cannot be performed. Considering we aer trying to remove redundant files, I am not sure they are all removed. But if you are happy, then I am happy. I have no issues with removing files, just trying to help you guys out.

Edited by Jeronimo

@dcatcher: I only tried x64 with imagex under Windows 7, I could include an ownership of the files if it is just winsxs try adding the following just after mount of image under cleanup:

takeown /f "%mount%\Windows\winsxs\Manifests\*" >nul
takeown /f "%mount%\Windows\winsxs\%cb%_*" /r >nul
icacls "%mount%\Windows\winsxs\Manifests\*" /grant Administrators:F /q >nul
icacls "%mount%\Windows\winsxs\%cb%_*" /grant Administrators:F /q /t >nul

with this solution I've got another error list.

errors2.txt

@Jedi-to-be: could you use an image after vLite component removal, remove the "@echo off line"/ownership-commands (takeown/icacls) in removal.bat and run the cleanup stage for me as following?

removal.bat cleanup > errors3.txt 2>&1

Zip the file errors3.txt and post it here if you can.

Edited by Jeronimo

@trickstar: I know these files are used by BITS, but I have not had an update on Windows Update where I can test that it does not break functionality.

I might remove these if I can verify it for now I included it in the removal batch, but not activated yet (see BITS related files). Only things that I might change is the addition of setting ownership (if someone can provide details on which files, during the removal stage) and maybe a set of command to aid users in the guide SausageHack provided here.

I just wanted to say I'm trying again with your latest removal.bat and it seems that on the command "removal.bat packages" I get a lot of errors saying the image is no longer serviceable which doesn't seem to add up because it is still mounted any tips ?

copy "%mount%\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" "%mount%\Windows\system32"

Hey Jeronimo was looking of your internet explorer removal BTW whole batch file is very nice like it lots any ways in this line why are you copying the 64-bit version of that dll into a 32-bit system Dir?

@Junior2613: if you already have a mount and get errors on the package-removal, I suggest you test again and let the removal batch do the mount

@liquid0624: system32 is for the 64-bit files, SysWOW64 for the 32-bit files (open up a file in notepad and look for processorArchitecture).

Nice works now :) I was going to say on the version I got to work I set the "Remove.Net" to V and ONLY vLite worked no other .net programs worked eg. MzVista or any other vista / 7 tweaks apps, Nvtray won't work. I hope that makes sense

EDIT* seems I can't get rid of this error still saying image not serviceable and I made no other images are mounted and i made sure that I let removal.bat do the mounting

Edited by Junior2613

I've been getting the 'not serviceable' errors too, when trying to /get-packages.

I'm manually mounting with dism, not using the removal.bat.

Also can't seem to unmount the wim either..., very strange

Edited by nlitened

If you are doing to manual mount, then make sure it is the same mount-dir as set in removal.bat. Also make sure the wimfilter is installed (vLite requests this upon first run) and that you are using imagex from the Windows Vista AIK. I have not had good experiences with dism and imagex from Windows 7 AIK.

The only application I might support with the partly .NET removal (vLIte) is install_wim_tweak as this seems broken by .NET removal. Other than that it is not supported: if you want to keep .NET keep it (K), if you want it removed use the options presented (V/C).

@Junior2613: if you already have a mount and get errors on the package-removal, I suggest you test again and let the removal batch do the mount

@liquid0624: system32 is for the 64-bit files, SysWOW64 for the 32-bit files (open up a file in notepad and look for processor Architecture).

My bad jeronimo i believe you are right on this not finding processor Architecture in that encrypted mess but looking at the size of browcli.dll in System32 is 57KB and the size of it in SysWOW64 is 40.5KB meaning the 64-bit versions are in System32 b/c the size of a 64-bit dll is always bigger nice work never new this though it was the other way around ;) great work once again my friend :thumbup I still don't know how you are getting you install.wim down to 800 MB though lowest i can get mine removing all packages you do and cleanup all the files you do as well except for the .net stuff i just removed the .net 3 package and i can only get mine to 1.15gb install.wim and a even 1.30gb for my ISO size.