GDI Heap Extender

I'll also be looking into Flash issue (which is not bitmap but font leak).

Ah, you'll end up hitting two birds with a single stone with that one. Trillian Astra also has that same issue with flooding font resources when using chat views other than 'simple' (playscript / bubbles). 80+ objects toward the font resource for every line of chat :blink:

Ok, it seems i've catched Chozo4's error.

...no wait it's post-alpha bug

lol! I'm sorry for being a pain in the butt with this being as I'm the only one who seems to be having issues. Feel rather bad since I seem to be the only one who has the most oddball of setups where things just don't want to behave. I'll continue to stick with Alpha2 then till it's caught so it's no biggie (I'm not complaining at all ^.~)

*hugs* Enjoy your vacation hun, you definately deserve it for all you do.

Edited by Chozo4

GDI Heap Extender - Testing Beta0

Same test set-up as Alpha4: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=874242

Results for Internet Explorer:

Start GDI: 98% - up from 97% in Alpha4!

With GDI Ext: 45% (97% after close - :) ) - up from 26% in Alpha4!

Without GDI Ext: 7% (87% after close :} )

(Windows 90% plus critical resource usage message and missing graphics on some pages)

Results for Firefox:

Starting GDI: 98% - up from 97% in Alpha4!

With GDI Ext: 85% (98% after close - :) ) - up from 83% in Alpha4

Without GDI Ext: 82% (95% after close - :} ) - different result to Alpha4...

On one occasion, after several minutes of switching between tabs, the icons, tabs and other smaller graphics became corrupted. Icons on the Desktop were masked against random bits of web page graphics.

On this same occasion, there was noticible sluggishness even when the apps were closed.

However, I have not been able to reproduce this after a restart.

Generally stable. No problems with restarts. Haven't tried a shutdown.

Alpha 5

Instead of packing things, i've decided to fix Flash issue. I've noticed there is no leak on NT systems, so after checking things, i've figured out that's because of difference on deleting selected fonts - NT deletes them silently, by marking font object invalid and replacing it with newer font object as soon as it's unselected from all DCs. 9x has this mechanism, but it's twice as broken - marking not always works and replacing never works. And 32-bit heap has its own share of problems, so i'm far from satisfaction.

Okay, long story short, Flash no longer leaks! Since Beta is unstable, Alpha was made too:

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/rpXalpha5.zip

and beta 0 was updated: (yep same link)

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/rpXbeta0.zip

progressive.com does not suck anymore

trillian is one of those programs that create graphical glitches....

it uses up a bit amount of resources

I noticed the font in flash is fixed :thumbup

Keep up the good work Tihiy!

the fonts of non latin bases languages in niconico douga player appears as boxes....

Is there away to fix this?

edit: i found the font charaters are messed up are messed up again =_= in gikopoi

http://l4cs.jpn.org/gikopoi/

Edited by sparky4

rpXalpha5 + Simplified Chinese Win98SE + KernelEx 4.0 Final

- stable so far

- shutdown problem similar to Alpha 2

rpXbeta0 + Simplified Chinese Win98SE + KernelEx 4.0 Final

- after running for 5 hours, a shortcut menu of a Visual FoxPro 6.0 program went crazy (became very wide, later even enlarged to full screen). Could only be fixed by rebooting the system

- shutdown problem similar to Alpha 3, but with an additional screen saying "An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C001548A in VXD ---. This was called from 0028:C005A22F in VXD ---."

Allrighty, I have experienced yesterday one catastophic crash a la Chozo4 with beta0.

I had been running Opera 10 Beta 2 build 1679 since a long while along with Winamp 5.35 when I also opened Opera 9.64. A few second after I closed Opera 9.64, Opera 10 beta crashed in gdi.exe. This was followed by explorer who also crashed in gdi.exe (repeatedly) and finally Winamp also went down in gdi.exe. I could do nothing to salvage the system and had to reboot. Upon reboot I tried to run again the two versions of Opera concurently and closing one or another but could not reproduce a crash.

Now perhaps more interesting, I just received this morning a new software package I bought last week on eBay for a couple of quids, Micrografx Graphic Suite 2. Amongst the bundled apps, one of them, Flowcharter 7 will systematically cleanly crash in gdi.exe on launch. Other apps are not affected. The most intersting part is that it does not crash when alpha5 is installed instead of beta0 and that it is 100% reproducible.

All crash logs included below as well as the FlowCharter application which I believe should run just like that. In case it wouldn't, let me know and I'll see what I can do to trim down the install files and upload just the essentials (700MB as whole).

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wyriynyflgj

Hi Tihiy, addendum to the FlowCharter gdi.exe crash. I need to correct my report. This will crash in gdi.exe with both alpha5 and beta0 after some time the OS has been used but it will not crash with either version on a freshly booted OS.

Somehow this reminds me of Microsoft's heapwalker application which seems to work on a freshly booted OS but not anymore after the OS has been used for some time, a problem I had always encountered with this application without having any RP or heap expander installed.

I'll remove RP10 for the next reboot and I'll see if I still have this problem without it.

Edited by eidenk

MSGsrv32 cause an error in unknown and Windows Me crashed

I was away so i did not see it happen

This is the most graphical glitched up error i saw and the whole system was frozen

I went back to the stable revolution pack 9 software

keep up the good work!

Ill test it when the next release comes

Edited by sparky4

Still getting issues with the Alpha, however, the GDI issue immediately from winamp doesn't seem to occur with the beta. However, the issue returned upon open/close of PaintShop Pro 7.

Additionally, Beta0 seems to be causing rendering issues with Trillian.

Alpha (normal)

http://i32.tinypic.com/29x8xnt.jpg

Beta0r2 (issues)

http://i27.tinypic.com/mbjrly.jpg

Edited by Chozo4

Update to the FlowCharter issue. I have been running the OS without RP at all and I got the following problem with it, Msgsvr32 crashed in gdi.exe when I launched FlowCharter late in the session, resulting in the need to reboot as this screwed the entire OS of course. Conclusion is perhaps that RP10 is preventing such a dramatic crash to happen. :hello:

But it also seems that when RP is on, a non-dramatic and systematic crash when launching that app occurs earlier in the session.

I'll try to disable KernelEx as well to see if it changes anything as there is perhaps an issue with KernelEx and that program eventually.

GDI Heap Extender - Testing Beta0

On one occasion, after several minutes of switching between tabs, the icons, tabs and other smaller graphics became corrupted. Icons on the Desktop were masked against random bits of web page graphics.

On this same occasion, there was noticible sluggishness even when the apps were closed.

However, I have not been able to reproduce this after a restart.

Generally stable. No problems with restarts. Haven't tried a shutdown.

While testing Beta 0 refresh, I've again seen the identical problem above, also in Firefox, although 3.5.2 now.

This time, there was only one tab while listing a large number of files on sourceforge.net.

No apparent issues in Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and other apps.

I have done some shutdowns now, and have once seen a really cool shutdown crash!

With Beta 0 refresh, Windows 98SE seems faster - perhaps my imagination?

test results of beta0 and alfa5 on my (98SE+KEX) box :}

1. beta0 GPF imediately after initialization of SPYBOT 1,62 ,DreamMail4 or Ad-Aware SE

2. alfa5 more stable but after some time of executing different applications I was getting GDI faults and other kernel related ones as well

watson5.7z

watson0.7z

Beta 2

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/rpXbeta2.zip

* Fixed all sorts of [theoretical] memory corruption issues;

* Hardened / improved handle validation beyond RP9 level;

* Covered more [all?] bitmap creations;

* Fixed [should be] shutdown issues.

Note: handle protection and anti-leaking system is active even when you turn off "GDI Salvation". This is intended.

You may want to test that scenario (fixes Flash, Charmap font leaks; Notepad++, some older Miranda versions crashing).

This beta version installs on top of RP9 and updates it to 9.1.2 with:

* Some fixes for control skinning,

* Disabled ClearType support.

Edited by Tihiy