Revolutions Pack 9.7

If it's definitely a 16 bit driver that you see causing the crash then absolutely it is the vxd used by that AfterDark screensaver program. The thing is like a terminate and stay ready driver that loads up from win.ini, has references in system.ini, and then calls its system tray icon from the startup folder. Just the tray icon wouldn't work. This thing needs a bunch of originally Windows 3.1 things that were updated so that although designed for Windows 95, really at its core is a Windows 3.1 base.

A contributor developed an update that fixed it up to run on Windows XP and also runs on 9x, and also an installer for the later 32 bit AfterDark 4 that he called AfterDark 4.1+. MDGx packaged up the files I sent him at one time for others to use, and the AfterDark 3.0XP contributer (ThyPenticle)still later repacked the thing with exe installers that included a large set of screensavers for it. I still use the older method as it keeps the savers in separate categories in the panel and I can install some not included stuff like the Disney savers, etc.

I might try just installing the version 4.1+, as that's mostly 32 bit software. On XP the older savers won't work on version 4 but on 9x they do, so I can still use the older modules.

Let's see what happens when I uninstall AfterDark. Heh, just uninstalling the thing has the potential of destroying things (never tried it on 9x, only on XP where system files are protected).

Uggh. No that wasn't it. AfterDark all gone and still Revolutions Pack crashes explorer.exe. Now I haven't a clue what it is. I'll check out Dr. Watson tomorrow and see if it logs anything interesting.

Here's a Dr Watson log attached. The simple view suggests that mmtask, a multimedia task mmtask.tsk, should be dealt with if my taskbar is behaving strangely. I tried eliminating the Roland icon and the Multimedia Volume Control icon but that had no effect.

It also states that Revolutions Pack has altered system files, namely the RP8.dll. No kidding.

The advanced view just showed the running stuff which doesn't seem to contain anything strange, if that mmtask.tsk system hook isn't strange that is. It that normal?

Hmm, it seems I'm not permitted to upload that kind of file. How else do we upload a revcrash.wlg file? Do I somehow convert it to a particular text format?

Hmm, it seems I'm not permitted to upload that kind of file. How else do we upload a revcrash.wlg file? Do I somehow convert it to a particular text format?
You can save it as txt from drwatson.

A little compilation of some small bugs I still have:

Some icons have black edges or seem to be 16bit or are pale / fade.

I'm very contented about RP9.6.5 - great software!

OS Win ME KEX 4.5 RC1 themes: Win 7 superbar, Vista, 32 bit

effects: only smooth edges of screen fonts

Looks like I have the same problem.

When icons are set to 32 bit mode, some of them do have addidtional black edges. When set to 16bit or 4 bit mode, the edges are gone, but the icons are pale, instead.

The best example seems to be the standard text/notepad explorer file icon.

Edited by Sfor

Do you guys have a nvidia-driver?!

Ive had the same problem..

I just remember that it had something to do with the order one installs RP9 and the driver. I dont want to try it now, cause its finally working.. ;)

Maybe try to switch to 32bit-icons, when PR9 is, but the driver isn't installed... and then of course install it as well..

Something like that could solve this problem..

Flipp

Do you guys have a nvidia-driver?!

Ive had the same problem..

I just remember that it had something to do with the order one installs RP9 and the driver. I dont want to try it now, cause its finally working.. ;)

Maybe try to switch to 32bit-icons, when PR9 is, but the driver isn't installed... and then of course install it as well..

Something like that could solve this problem..

Flipp

Nope. In my case it is Universal Vesa/VBE driver.

Yep, it works great now! I experienced the RPConfig not responding the first couple of times I tried activating a theme. I had to end the RPConfig task. Then, I was messing around with the RPConfig effects tab and unchecked the show windows while dragging. That worked fine and the next time I applied a theme it applied it perfectly. Got in on Win7 big toolbar now. It switches Themes fine without freezing but I really don't know whether it had to do with my switching off the show windows while dragging or not. I'm not messing with it since it works.

Thanks again for the fix and all the great software. I know I'm at least using that network icon as well because auto-patcher installs that.

Hello Tihiy,

recently I reinstalled my graphics-driver, the nv8269-driver for a gf4ti.

Now I again have black edges,like shadows around some 32-bit-icons!!! Other members have the same problem, as they sad a few days ago.

The win-standard icons don't have those. And they only appear if I set the icon-quality to 32-bit.

Of course the machine is running with 32-bit colors.

Do you habe any ideas what to do now and why this happens?!?

Greets Flipp