Revolutions Pack 9.7

I get an Access Violation in RPCONFIG.EXE at BFE50496 address BFE51496 read addresss FFFFFFFF.
That is certainly memory corruption... Like somebody unallocated section of my library... Which is something extraordinary.

Maybe this could be from the icon pack.

It was a stupid idea of me to just drop the original dll's in the resources

folder. Sometimes Win32 programs load the dll first to get to the icons. This

causes the system to also load the dependent dll's, which are not there, and

then you get a GP fault.

I've already slimmed down my icon pack to half-size, now using icon resources which are

recompiled from scratch. So there's no executable code in there anymore.

So, please RetroOS, download it now (http://www.baut.nl/downloads/RP9-Icons.zip),

and re-install, just to be sure your errors are not from the icon pack...

Daniel

Edit: I'd grayed out the issues that have been resolved and are no longer relevant to the current release of Revolutions Pack. They were not removed as I'd thought them best as a bug-fix history for references sakes.

Issue #4 {Resolved as of RP9.0.9}

Been getting back to my general routine with everyday things using RP9. However, more things seemingly are cropping up. After a while I'll start to get oddball General Protection Faults and Invalid Page Faults in random applications. Be they RSRCMTR.exe or other programs such as winamp, trillian, etc. I can ignore them and restart the apps but after a while it will happen again followed by a complete crash to a blank, empty, white 16bit system error message immediately after a half missing Illegal Operation notice.

These seemingly have 2 Things in common though. The Modules they fault in are most often in KRNL386.EXE and lesser often in <unknown>. Disabling neither GDI or USER resource salvation prevent it so it may not be linked to that. I do not experience them without RP9 otherwise.

I'd love to provide steps for reproduction but alas, this issue seems almost completely random and cannot be reproduced easily.

For the sake of it, here is one of the errors I'd caught.

RSRCMTR caused a general protection fault

in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:0000b0d3.

Registers:

EAX=001a409c CS=0167 EIP=0000b0d3 EFLGS=00000212

EBX=821a7000 SS=2c37 ESP=00008b22 EBP=00008b2a

ECX=0002000c DS=066f ESI=00020000 FS=0000

EDX=7e07bf60 ES=2c37 EDI=00008b38 GS=2d47

Bytes at CS:EIP:

67 66 8b 02 66 25 fc ff ff 0f 66 26 01 45 0c 66

Stack dump:

0035018f 066f0000 662f8b56 066f04ff 2c378b38 001816cf 00000000 00000020 0be40020 409c001b 3e3e001a 353a0000 1c10f90f 35bb8b66 00001767 39bf0000

Issue #5 /Cosmetic/ {Resolved as of RP9.0.9}

During testing, I'd noticed that disabling User Resource Salvation also disabled desktop icon label transparency regardless of it's setting. Unsure if this was by design or a bug. However, it's not disruptive at all as a workaround is using transparency.exe to cover the labels if the need to ever disable URS arises.

Issue #6 /Minor Annoyance/ {Resolved as of RP9.0.9}

Using 'Ethereal 0.10', installation of RP9 causes it to produce a constant stream of the same error over and over in multiple Console Windows.

(ethereal.exe:4286670927): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkgc-win32.c:release_pen:885: Delete Object failed

(ethereal.exe:4286670927): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkgc-win32.c:release_pen:885: Delete Object failed

Chozo4, thanks for reports.
-Complete corruption of the GDI layer.
Not quite for me, maybe because i'm using GDI from Me. Anyway, this bug is a mere cache malfunction which i corrected; it shouldn't ever show in real apps (i hope), so wait a bit for fix. I'm busy with fixing DIBENG misfortunes leading for icons-with-non-standard-palette corruption, and they're tough ones.
Taskbar size is not restored when changing from 'Watercolor EB_Superbar' theme to a non 'LargeBar' type of theme.
This is 98 shell specific behavior; as with overstretch bugs, i can't really fix it.

Alrighty, no problem at all. Just bringing up any issues I come across that I've not seen already mentioned. Glad to know those were known of already at least. :)

--------

Edit in: I have a small feature reimplementation request that I miss. Is there any possibility to re-implement the ability to disable skinning on a Per-App basis like back in RP7 or is it still there but hidden now?

Edited by Chozo4

:blushing: Reboots Great-but,shutdown and power-off functions are very shaky<program exe and even task manager =no difference>;****some of same,kinda the same problems as Chozo4 has previously stated "error messages" upon only shutdowns/power-off :All Else works Great!Problems in 98FE,98FE sp/sp1,98SE-full updated(with/without Kex4.0 RC2)......... :thumbup thanks :hello:

Hi Tihiy,

tried several times the combination of the new KernelEx and RP9. As you probably know, I am a total programming (and computer) layman, but my computer is (nearly) 10 years old. After several tries with the combination, I sticked and stick to RP9. In other words, it's a question of preference: does someone like the new icons and this kind of stuff (RP9) or does he prefer to use the latest updates of any program and games (KernelEX ????). The truth is: live is not a game.

Perhaps it is also a question of trust !

Happy Easter to you !

Rodger

Hi Tihiy. At last installed your RP9 and KernelEx 3.6a. Everything is fine except for one thing. After installation I tried large 32bit icons. And icons became large, even those in the taskbar. I tried to turn off large icons and even switched back to 4bit, but icons in the task bar became 32x32 (instead of usual 16x16). I have only 800x600 resolution, so I lack space in the task bar and this bug is annoying. Can it be fixed?

And another question - do you and Xeno86 plan to make KernelEx 4 and RP9 fully compatible? How long we should wait?

Anyway, thanks for great work.

And icons became large, even those in the taskbar. I tried to turn off large icons and even switched back to 4bit, but icons in the task bar became 32x32 (instead of usual 16x16).
You have selected theme with large taskbar. Choose another one.
And another question - do you and Xeno86 plan to make KernelEx 4 and RP9 fully compatible? How long we should wait?
They're already compatible since kex4 RC2. Some minor problems remain, but they're not noticeable.

Edit: I'd grayed out the issues that have been resolved and are no longer relevant to the current release of Revolutions Pack. They were not removed as I'd thought them best as a bug-fix history for references sakes.

RSRCMTR caused a general protection fault

in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:0000b0d3.

Is it possible to get Dr. Watson diagnosis?

I tried but I cannot catch that one. For one reason or another Dr. Watson even bombshells over it in an endless loop - completely locking up the system after about 20 or so instances in a matter of seconds (each time trying to log its' own crash in tandem). The only logs I can get were involving one of the Game Clients (Mabinogi) I run on a daily basis involving two dll's that seem to crash in response to '<unknown>' due to RP9 (which is modifying user.exe?).

WatsonLogs.rar

Edited by Chozo4

How much memory do you have? It seems your system went into segment swapping.

also

Using 'Ethereal 0.10', installation of RP9 causes it to produce a constant stream of the same error over and over in multiple Console Windows.
Which version exactly, and how can I make those console windows appear? Edited by Tihiy

How much memory do you have? It seems your system went into segment swapping.

also

Which version exactly, and how can I make those console windows appear?

I have 1gb memory. 256mb dedicated to a large tempfile / download ramdrive - swapfile placed in said ramdrive to consume any space not taken up by said temp files if / when the swap is ever called on. I've the conservative swap option on so it uses primary ram first. Alas, I've yet to breach that much of the physical ram for the swapfile to ever be used yet.

For Ethereal, it's v0.10.0 exactly. The errors appear in a first command window immediately upon startup of the program and each instance of the same 'delete object failed' occurs everytime any buttons or menus are used and any redraw over the application (moving another window over it). The second occurs on starting a packet capture - resulting in two windows simultaniously producing GDK errors but of the same nature.

Download link for it is at the following:

ftp://ftp.neolink.ru/pub/ethereal/ethereal-setup-0.10.0.exe

This version was the version recommended for use by the ethereal page itself in it's documentation in the event v0.99 did not work under windows 98 (Which in fact, didn't at all).

Edited by Chozo4

Thanks for your reply, Tihiy. Switching to another theme helped. But I like the Sky98 theme. What theme parameters should I change to have 16x16 icons on the task bar, and what exact values should be set?

And I think big icons on the Task bar should be optional regardless of taskbar height. My tasbar is not big enough to contain 48x48 icons, but when Large icons check box is selected, taskbar buttons has 48x48 icons without bottom pixels. May I hope, you add an option in future releases?

Version 9.0.9 released

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/RP9.exe

- 32-bit icons were severely re-architected. Now they don't require 32-bit color mode. (!!!!!!!!)

As a bonus, it also fixes NVIDIA bugs FOREVER and other bugs which were known.

- Fixed cache failure which could lead to GDI corruption/crash in rare cases;

- Fixed not properly locked 16-bit memory blocks which could cause crashes(?);

- Fixed tray icons layout with large taskbar;

- Fixed minor bugs in RPConfig;

- Removed KernelEx 4 compatibility message.

- Added French translation.

This version is still not noob-proof. I don't have time to perform proper polishing :\

Please test and stress it well!

Edited by Tihiy

Alrighty, working fine so far save for a couple more things to report immediately noticed on first installation of RP9.0.9.

Issues

---(See Image)Icons now don't seem to be getting rendered right, oddly enough. Some get transparency, others don't, and others have a couple lines. Switching between 32-bit and 16-bit through RPConfig seem to switch the issues around. Repairing icon cache using TweakUI and Switching between depth modes in both Display Properties and RPConfig don't seem to rectify it.

http://hosting02.imagecross.com/image-host...4IconIssues.jpg

---When restoring back from full screen, the restore window animation doesn't take effect (restore goes back to size and titlebar flickers alot during the supposed animation). That and the corners in skins such as 'Black Mesa' show the pink transparency colour upon restore. Most noticable with applications such as Internet Explorer, pressing F11 to switch modes twice.

edit in: Side note, the lack of skinning happens on applications after changing between fullscreen+resolution change and window.

Corrected

--Ethereal no longer has issues with deleting pen objects.

--Secondary monitor display in the Display Properties no longer show issues and have been fixed upon resolution slider change.

I will note anything else that arises during testing. I hope I'm not being a royal pain with all these issues cropping up. >.>

Edited by Chozo4

---(See Image)Icons now don't seem to be getting rendered right, oddly enough. Some get transparency, others don't, and others have a couple lines.

duplicated this on my setup