The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello guys !

I'm a med student with absolutely no experience with electronics ! Yesterday I started up my PC and my 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS was gone. In Device Manager, in BIOS, but he gets power and I can feel that it's spinning..

I've read the tutorial and it's pretty difficult for me, I mean.. it's chinese !

Isn't there an easier way ? At least, in case I do find those adaptors and cables, did anyone make a video tutorial ?

I had like 150 GB of medical materials on it :( and a lot of it I can't find on the internet !

Have a nice day,

Christian

I've read the tutorial and it's pretty difficult for me, I mean.. it's chinese !

Which one?

This one is pretty clear:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

I don't think that a lousy video would help more. :unsure:

Isn't there an easier way ? At least, in case I do find those adaptors and cables, did anyone make a video tutorial ?

Sure there is. :w00t:

[sarcasm]

We are actually a bunch of sadistic bastards that enjoy making things very difficult to newbies, when all you need to do is get a magic wand and tap three times on the dead hard disk while saying aloud "AbracadabrA":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abracadabra

[/sarcasm]

:whistle:

Only you can judge your knowledge and will to learn, evaluating the risks involved as opposed to estimating your financial capabilities and value the data has, and consider whether a data recovery firm could be a viable solution.

Or if you have some friend/roommate/pal with a knack for electronics/PC's to whom you may ask to help you.

jaclaz

Actually, it's not that difficult at all.The preparation can take some time, but if you have collected anything and connected it it's already half of the job.Then you simply type the commands and it's over in few minutes

Another Sucess Story,

Thanks Pichi, thanks Gradius, thanks fatlip, thanks to everybody who made this information available on the net.

My Material was a CA-42 generic cable, I removed the entire glue on the connection so I could see the positions and the colors, later the that day I checked the connection again so I could confirm the colors... and after connecting it to the computer I made the checks again, by using hyperterminal, and by using the multimeter (the TX connector had 3.32V, typing stuff on the hyperterminal made the connector fall down to 3.30V... only .02 of variation?)

I couldnt get a Torx 6 by itself, I had to get a 40dlls kit, to get it... and it has a magnetic holder, I had to use an old black&decker kit to grab the Torx 6 head.

At first I didnt removed the entire PCB, I tried with a plastic card, but it didnt work, so I removed the entire PCB, tried Gradius step by step instructions (without pictures by now), and... so this were the steps I took:

Connected the 3 connector to the PCB, connected the USB to the computer, opened Hyperterminal, connected the SATA Power cable( of the same computer)... Pressed Ctrl-Z.... etc, but after trying the Z command I got the

LED:000000CE FAddr:00280569

Error

Removed the SATA Power, removed the usb from the computer, and then removed the PCB from the hard disk, again connected the USB, again connected the SATA Power, Again Opened Hyper Terminal.... and down from there was just the same as Pichi's & Gradius Steps...

This was my final log:

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.154 msecs
F3 2>
F3 T>/2

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 9.841 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>
F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

Sweating, Shaking, with my heart pumping hard, without eating nor sleeping well in two days and after reading 200+ posts on diferent forums and pages.... I made it trough... I had never touched a multimeter in my entire life, didnt knew how to use it! I learn it all on the internet :D So, again Thanks a million!

Kenrro.

Dear Gradius2,

Thank you very much for your topic.

I did everything like on 1st page and got my HD back with DKU-5.

Best Regards,

Urama Makkala from Kazakhstan.

Hi.

Yet another brick is up and going :rolleyes:

Used a ca-42 without connected GND.

Did all from the first post from Gradius2, but had som problems with no connection in hyperterminal after turning the power on/off.

Spesial thanks to aviko who introduced the "F,,22"-command that solved it for me.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=832570

Did learn a lesson, don't trust you HD, backup!

:hello:

For those effected suport this(just found it on net)

http://www.kbklawfirm.com/seagate/Seagate-...-hard-drive.php

With all due respect, you are some 4 months late:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8092&st=817

For those interested in lawsuits....

http://www.kbklawfirm.com/seagate/index.php

I just submited my details (not real details of course) to see what they are offering.

jaclaz

F3 T>/2       

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.126 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 6.629 secs
F3 2>/

F3 T>F712
Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00
Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0

F3 T>F,,22

Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

F3 T>F712
Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1

F3 T>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

Please Help!! I followed the same steps and my drive is still bricked after getting all the correct messages!

I tried this 4 times already and still no luck. :'(

Do you think my drive is truly dead??

The hdd model is ST3500320AS fw:SD15

Edited by SportsGuy11

F3 T>/2       

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.126 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 6.629 secs
F3 2>/

F3 T>F712
Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0

F3 T>F,,22

Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

F3 T>F712
Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1

F3 T>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
ite Retries = 00C8
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

Please Help!! I followed the same steps and my drive is still bricked after getting all the correct messages!

I tried this 4 times already and still no luck. :'(

Do you think my drive is truly dead??

The hdd model is ST3500320AS fw:SD15

Have you unmounted the electronic board?

(Before of F3 2>Z)

Gradius!!!!

I'm happy again!! I'm singin' in the rain!!! Your procedure to solve this was very simple to do, and it was well explained. I retrieve all my data without a bit loss. Sincerely thanks for your procedure.

Miguel Ramos

Saltillo, Mexico

I am unfortunate enough to have a Seagate hard drive. I have a 7200.11 with LC11 firmware. It became undetectable in the bios and of course xp around 2 week ago.

I have followed the instructions, made up the cables etc but when I run HyperTerminal and type in control Z followed by /2 and then Z I don't get the SPIN DOWN message all I get is LED:0000000CC FAddr:0025BE0F. This scrolls down the screen about 1 line every minute and locks me out of the interface.

Does anyone have a solution?

Can anyone help?

I am unfortunate enough to have a Seagate hard drive. I have a 7200.11 with LC11 firmware. It became undetectable in the bios and of course xp around 2 week ago.

I have followed the instructions, made up the cables etc but when I run HyperTerminal and type in control Z followed by /2 and then Z I don't get the SPIN DOWN message all I get is LED:0000000CC FAddr:0025BE0F. This scrolls down the screen about 1 line every minute and locks me out of the interface.

Can anyone help?

Hi folks

I'm new to this forum and have registered because my Seagate 720 II 500gb has suddenly dissapeared, along with all my videos, and no longer shows up in bios. until that happened, i didn't even Know that there was a problem with them. there is another one in the same HTPC that has the Windows XP Pro operating system on it and fortunately that one is still working.

I don't really want to RMA it and loose all of my recordings, so after having a bit of a browse on this forum, I decided to try and recover it

I bought a CA-42 cable from ebay, and a set of mini torx. I got an old CDRom audio cable and squashed the ends a bit so that they fit on the RX & TX HD jumpers snugly. I put a little bit of clear blister pack plastic between them so that they can't touch each other. I loosened the T6 screws on the HD PCB and slipped a bit of blister pack plastic between the 3 contacts that join the PCB to the motor.

I installed the drivers for the CA-42 cable that came on a CD with it. It is by prolific, and it shows up in device manager on COM3. I have set it to 38400 8 none 1 none. The cable ID's as USB\VID_067B&PID_2303\5&3A670850&0&2

I thought I was doing well up to now, then I cocked up removing the Nokia pop-port plug from the end of the cable, and lost the pin out positions.

I have ended up with 5 wires, black, white, orange, blue and green, and I don't know what they are. I found a pin out for nokia pop-port on a russian pin out site, and it seems that pins 6 & 7 are RX and TX, but that doesn't help me much as I lost the positions they were connected to. I thought testing the DC voltage between pairs of wires might shed some light on it, but the only readings I am getting is 003 millivolts between the black & the Green and the same voltage between the orange and the green. (cable plugged in to USB port on PC). It seems black and orange are negative and green is positive.

I thought I'd try hyperterminal first without the cable connected to the HD, as I had read that you could tell somehow what was RX and TX by looping them in a hyperterminal session. With hyper terminal set to COM3 and 38400 8 none 1 none all I get is a "can't open COM port message" . Same thing with none of the wires looped, or with them looped in any combination.

I thought I'd try with different pairs of wires connected to my HD RX & TX ( didn't think 003mv would do any damage). Each try I connected the SATA power cable from the PC to the HD, and I got the same message in hyperterminal exept if I connect blue & green to RX & TX (either way round) in which case hyperterminal gives me a connection.

Then if I type ctrl+Z (should that be ctrl+shift+z for upper case Z ? and should I press enter?)I get nothing but a flashing cursor. I tried it all ways and still just the flashing cursor, unless I put echo on, then I get little arrow.

I tried a different USB port COM 2 and got all the same results.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Is my CA-42 cable stuffed? Is there any way of testing it? Is there a definite way of determining which wires are RX & TX? should I be connecting a third grnd wire? should I be able to get a hyperterminal connection without the CA-42 being connected to the HD?

Sorry to have so many questions

cheers

Can anyone help?

Are you sure you have unmounted the PCB from the hard disk? You get that message because your hd is "BSY", so the spin must be still connected...

Anyway, i want to thank Gradius for his guide: yesterday i done the job!!! :thumbup

I had only to repeat a few times the procedure, because i got nothing (or same error) when launching the "U" command, but finally it worked and i saved my data and updated the firmware.

Thank you again!!!!!