The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I'm glad to report that I was able to fix my ST3500320AS even in Vista 64. I tried first with a CA-42 that I pressume it was defective (the PC never saw it), but then I found an generic DKU-5 (chinese) that used a driver from Prolific, and they have one compatible with Vista 64.

All data was intact. Thanks a lot!

BTW, for those who expect a loopback from hyperterminal, I have to confess that I didn't have any response until I connected the PCB. Just then I got the "F3 T>" prompt.

Edited by plguzman

After waiting two weeks, I finally got my FT232BL adapter (via first post)... and I can't for the life of me get XP to detect it!

What in the world am I overlooking/doing wrong? I'm starting to get desperate.

Edited by AltPluzF4

I got my sleeping (busy) drive to wake thanks so much!! One thing that made this a little easier was the use of an external USB cable, made for maintaining IDE and laptop size IDE, also SATA drives. The kit included a power supply and I was able to use that for the SATA board, and the Molex power connecter for IDE was a handy place to rob the 5v I needed for the rs232/ttl adapter I had purchased.

One other trick... I didn't have any tiny jumpers for the connection to the SATA boards Rx Tx lines, so I just cut the ends of some stranded wire flush and shimmed them onto the pins. I got the wire for that from an old cpu fan that was not in use. Since the board was off of the drive I tested those lines for connectivity and shorts with an ohm meter before getting started. Definitely do test the durability of your setup without power before going >hot< with this!

Thanks again Gradius2, Fatlip and everybody else who helped with this info!!!!

A 500 g is back to life .

But i have another one seagate 1 T and have problems to make to work

when the drive power on make a noise and after about 20 sec stop

F3 T/2

F3 2>Z

IT GIVES :

LED 000000CE FAdr00280569

the same gives and with pcb alone

When i gave the U

ERROR 1009 DETSEC0006008

SPIN ERROR

This is exactly what happened to me when I tried, then I used a level 3 spin down command instead:

F3 T>/3

F3 3>Z

with

F3 T>/3

F3 3>Z

again

something else to try?

Did you try the level 3 command with the PCB alone or still mounted on the drive? All I can tell you is, I tried that with the PCB mouted on the drive and it worked for me. There might be other level spin down commands, you can look in the earlier posts of this thread for a complete list of all the commands.

I am happy to report that my drive is fixed.....although I did NOT do it this way. I cheated. I have a touchSmart IQ506. I purchased, today, an IQ524 with a 500GB drive. Opened the bugger and found that the drive and firmware version (HP24) was the same. I took the new drive out and removed the IO board. I put the OLD IO board on the new drive. I then used the DOS based flash utility from HP, booted up from a floppy on another PC. Flashed the drive IO board to version HP13 and VOILA!!!!! all my data!!!!! Happy happy!!!! I should note here that I orinignally had tried to flash the old drive with the NEW IO board which did not work. My reasoning was that the drive heads had been parked in a position that when the new board was attached to the OLD drive, it saw the heads parked and didn't know what to do. However, since the old board was attached to a drive in which the heads weren't parked the flash was successful. New IQ524 going back to sore :)

:thumbup

Edited by themainman

Gradius,

First of all I want to thank you for everything you do in resolving this problem that turned to be a nightmare, at least for me. Long story-short, this morning after reboot one of my 1TB drives (6 months old) didn't "wake up" and you know why. Found your thread on msfn forum and kinda shed some light over this matter. I have a few really short questions for you before I go ahead and follow your instructions.

1. Your solution keeps the data on the disc intact, including partitions? I had 4 partitions on this disc and some of them contain vital/private information. That's why I don't want to send the disc to Seagate if I can fix it myself. I was on hold today with them for about 50 minutes and after 3 minutes of conversation all that the tech told me was just to update the firmware. Of course the disc is not found anywhere, so I can't do that. By the way, in your tutorial you mention this firmware update as being needed but I don't find its place in the procedure.

2. Which side of the disc (PCB) needs to be opened in order to add the power jumpers? The labeled one? Sorry for such a stupid question... If the seal is broken, the warranty is gone. Not that I care too much about it, as long as I can recover the data.

3. I don't see in your picture how you connected the power cables mentioned above. I wanna make sure I do it right, even if I don't have a lot of knowledge of computers like you do.

If Gradius is not around (it seems that his inbox is full), maybe somebody else can help me. I would really appreciate it.

Gradius,

First of all I want to thank you for everything you do in resolving this problem that turned to be a nightmare, at least for me. Long story-short, this morning after reboot one of my 1TB drives (6 months old) didn't "wake up" and you know why. Found your thread on msfn forum and kinda shed some light over this matter. I have a few really short questions for you before I go ahead and follow your instructions.

1. Your solution keeps the data on the disc intact, including partitions? I had 4 partitions on this disc and some of them contain vital/private information. That's why I don't want to send the disc to Seagate if I can fix it myself. I was on hold today with them for about 50 minutes and after 3 minutes of conversation all that the tech told me was just to update the firmware. Of course the disc is not found anywhere, so I can't do that. By the way, in your tutorial you mention this firmware update as being needed but I don't find its place in the procedure.

2. Which side of the disc (PCB) needs to be opened in order to add the power jumpers? The labeled one? Sorry for such a stupid question... If the seal is broken, the warranty is gone. Not that I care too much about it, as long as I can recover the data.

3. I don't see in your picture how you connected the power cables mentioned above. I wanna make sure I do it right, even if I don't have a lot of knowledge of computers like you do.

If Gradius is not around (it seems that his inbox is full), maybe somebody else can help me. I would really appreciate it.

1. Just burn the new firmware ISO on a CD and boot from it. The update tool will find your drive.

2. Don't open your hdd. The PCB is on the back side.

1. Your solution keeps the data on the disc intact, including partitions?

Yes, BUT you should NOT wipe the G-list, at least on first attempt. (thanks to Aviko for clearing that this part is usually unneeded)

You do not need to "Open" the disk DO NOT DO IT!

WHICH "power" cables? :w00t:

You need to attach the TX and RX from the interface (and in some cases the GND) and the "normal" SATA power connector.

Check photos here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8807&st=100

and sketch here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8807&st=819

jaclaz

Hello Gradius2, hello to all people,

I have a st3500320as 500 gb sata2 with P/N: 9BX154-568 and Firmware SD81.

I can't see it from bios.

Do you think i can use this guide for repair it?

I buy another disk but with FW SD04 and i switch the 2 PCB. With this PCB the pc find the disk in bios but i have an error and i can't use it.

I have updated too the firmware on this PCB (before with the new hard disk and later with same new PCB on my old disk) from SD04 to SD1A, but I don't have results on my disk.

I have worked on a PCB with firmware SD04, not present in seagate firmware download page....

I think this 2 models are differently, but in firmware download page are present too SD15 and SD81 firmware... this manual is for SD15 and I have SD81....

What do u think? Can i resolve my problem with your guide? Or I need to change some parameter?

Thank you alot.... :crazy::wacko:

Edited by anxx

I buy another disk but with FW SD04 and i switch the 2 PCB. With this PCB the pc find the disk in bios but i have an error and i can't use it.

I have updated too the firmware on this PCB (before with the new hard disk and later with same new PCB on my old disk) from SD04 to SD1A, but I don't have results on my disk.

I have worked on a PCB with firmware SD04, not present in seagate firmware download page....

I think this 2 models are differently, but in firmware download page are present too SD15 and SD81 firmware... this manual is for SD15 and I have SD81....

What do u think? Can i resolve my problem with your guide? Or I need to change some parameter?

I have the same disk. SD81 too. And I repaired it with this guide. Here is my experience: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry831015

Greetings, ToKu.

Seeing as this problem is starting to become more and more dominant with more people reporting the Spinup error, can we get a little more active help in that part of the development in this fix please? This seems like it may be a problem with the read head, so is there any way by firmware hacking to make the drive attempt to realign or reset the read head?

Seeing as this problem is starting to become more and more dominant with more people reporting the Spinup error, can we get a little more active help in that part of the development in this fix please? This seems like it may be a problem with the read head, so is there any way by firmware hacking to make the drive attempt to realign or reset the read head?

Dude - I'm pretty sure there's a Segate repair center located in Australia. Maybe contacting them to sort it out (and recover your data) might be a quicker solution?

The possibility of firmware 'hacking' is slim at best - not to mention extremely dangerous.

I have the same disk. SD81 too. And I repaired it with this guide. Here is my experience: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry831015

Greetings, ToKu.

Hi Toku! I remember u in the Seagate forum... Alan close it remember?

So I need a RS232 5V to solve this problem... ok...

I have a question... Wheni must to execute this command:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

I will to rewrite the partition table or I will format the disk, or only some data in the PCB?

In other words... i have soma important data in my disk, with this method can I find it or I will have a new blank disk?

U do it... you can help me :rolleyes:

Thank you