Java versions

cannie

I have u7 installed on my 98SE machine following this procedure, as the only available version of Java.

Hi, Drugwash, here I am once again:

I have installed u7 following your instructions and it works perfect, no problem at all in my comp.

If I had only known it earlier it would have saved me a lot of time and efforts.

Thank you very much!

If anything, I haven't stumbled into any Java-related problems so far, but can't vouch for u7's perfect behavior on any and all Java-based site. Second opinions would be welcome.

Oh, sorry cannie, had the page open for a while before replying, couldn't notice your post above. Glad to be of help. :)

Edited by Drugwash

Getting answers out of the Java community is like pulling teeth.

They look down on questions relating to web-applets and end-user issues and they live in their own world of java application programming. They are largely unaware that older versions of the JRE are not un-installed when an update is installed, and they have no clue (or they sweep it under the carpet) or are in denial when it comes to how that can make a system vulnerable to exploits.

With regard to the differences between 1.5.x and 1.6.x, there probably is no need to seek 1.6 because no web applets likely exist at this point that depend on 1.6. With regard to any change in the installer after 1.6.07, they deny it, don't know about it, or ignore the question.

There is some mention that 1.6.x is faster than 1.5.x, but it's scanty. Anyone know of any java performance benchmark software that runs on win-98?

Someone did post this:

-----------------

>> I don't know if it was possible before in a Java applet to select JRE

>> version, but it is now (I think as of SE 6 Update 10).

> Just x.y.z or x.y.z update w ?

You can get as specific as update. From:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u10...tion/index.html

The new Java Plug-In provides a new platform- and browser-independent mechanism for selecting a JRE version upon which to launch an applet: the java_version applet parameter. This new parameter supports:

a.. Selection of a particular JRE version ("1.5.0_11")

b.. Selection of a particular JRE family ("1.5*")

c.. Selection of a particular JRE family or later ("1.5+")

-----------------

The way I read that, if you install 1.6.10 or higher, then you're opening up your system to any vulnerable Java web-code that can request a specific version be used to process the code. So an exploit for a particular version can be launched with that method.

What I don't know is if you have to have the specific older version installed, or does the 1.6.10 version come pre-packaged with ALL PREVIOUS JRE VERSIONS built inside it (perhaps that's why it's so large) ???

Getting answers out of the Java community is like pulling teeth.

By definition, anything made by a great corporation and given to you as "freeware" is always paid by somebody else, and that someone's interests and not yours are the main motive for any "improvement". He who pays is the only one who deserves an explanation.

You may eventually be the scapegoat if you are naïve. That's why I always keep a .rar or .zip backup on CD of the OS before introducing any main changes: you never know the real truth but afterwards, and it may be too late if you "burn your ships after landing", as it happens since a year ago to many people after buying a new preinstalled computer.

That's also the reason why I doubleboot and will never abandon Windows 98 for as long as I can. You may always rebuild any of both from scratch using the other.

:rolleyes: Has anyone noticed Java version 1.5.0.16.....becoming bloated to 600+mb's and 360+mb's respectively(@ 1gb total for jdk1.5.0.16 files) is this extreme??? or normal??? :blink:

Thanks for the mis-information.

jre-1_5_0_16-windows-i586-p.exe (16.13 mb)

jre-1_5_0_17-windows-i586-p.exe (16 mb)

jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe (15 mb)

Where do you see any of them listed as being > 300 mb ?

With regard to the differences between 1.5.x and 1.6.x, there probably is no need to seek 1.6 because no web applets likely exist at this point that depend on 1.6. With regard to any change in the installer after 1.6.07, they deny it, don't know about it, or ignore the question.

But, there are java applications compiled to be working on the 1.6. A good instance is one of the Polish govermental programs. According to documentation java 1.5 is required. But, at some point, a programmer compiled some modules with 1.6 requirement. As the result the application stopped working on java 1.5.

• 1 year later...

I would like to note that I have Jave 6 update 17 installed and running on Windows 98 SE. Not sure if anyone else has tried or done this, but I havent found any information as of yet on here for it. Java control panel lists it as Platform 1.6 Product 1.6.0_17. I had update 16 running which came as part of the latest release version of Open Office 3. Updated to 17 with no problems. Java testing site found it to be version 17, Suns site found it to be 13?! and did a virtual machine test and it was up and running fine as well. If anyone else has any feedback on this, I would be greatly appreciative. System is Windows 98 SE running unofficial service pack 3 beta 4 and 98se2me. Have KernelEX installed as well.

I would like to note that I have Jave 6 update 17 installed and running on Windows 98 SE.

I'm running that version too - no problem at all (Win98 SE + SP 2.1b + KernelEx 4.0 Final 2).

Edited by rainyd

I would like to note that I have Jave 6 update 17 installed and running on Windows 98 SE.

I'm running that version too - no problem at all (Win98 SE + SP 2.1b + KernelEx 4.0 Final 2).

Sweet, thank you. I brought another 9x system back from the brink this weekend. The owners had installed XP SP3 on a Dell L700cx and used up almost all of the hard drive, sans like 400 meg and the 256 meg memory was horrible for it. I explained the situation to them and told them about everyones work here and that ive been running that as my main system for a month now without any issues. They told me to go for it. I think they will be happy. =) Thanks again to everyone here that has put so much hard work into keeping Windows 9x alive. =)

I've installed Java 6 update 18 and it works OK but for proper detection you need (at least that was in my case) to disable Java next-generation plugin (it wasn't necessary in update 17).

Btw, one important info: NOTE: The Firefox 3.6 browser requires Java SE 6 Update 10 or later. Otherwise, Java-based web applications will not work.

About the difference between Java 5 and 6: This panorama DOES word with Java 6 on WIN 98SE (version 4.10.2222), but NOT with Java 5 (even latest version 5.22) : http://www.maltacamp.at/en/the-campground/360-panorama.html

I discovered this this summer when I was looking for a camping in Austria. No clue why this is !

Roger

Edited by RodgerOver

About the difference between Java 5 and 6: This panorama DOES word with Java 6 on WIN 98SE (version 4.10.2222), but NOT with Java 5 (even latest version 5.22) : http://www.maltacamp.at/en/the-campground/360-panorama.html

I discovered this this summer when I was looking for a camping in Austria. No clue why this is !

Roger

All panorama functions work fine with version 1.5.0.22 on Opera 10.00 on your link on my 98SE2ME box. 

Edited by lightning slinger

So did Java 6 update 18 install without any mods or problems?

You need KernelEx (I'm using latest version) to install it.

On the beginning of installation process you would be warned that your system (e.g. Win98 SE) isn't on the list of supported systems but that's all.

Btw, I was wrong: with update 17 you need also to disable that Java next-generation plugin.

Guest wsxedcrfv

So let me get this straight. Java 6 update 1 through 7 can be installed on a standard-installation of 98se, but not any higher version until Java 6 update 17. Is that correct? But Java 6 update 18 _can't_ be installed? Is 18 the highest update so far?

But if you have kernelex, you could (can) install ANY version of Java 6?

And if you have KernelEx AND Firefox 3.x, and you want to have a functioning Java, you have no choice but to use some version of Java Version 6 update x ?