How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

In such cases WinSetupFromUSB adds a line to winnt.sif GUIRunOnce section:

"sc delete rdummy"

Do you have this line in ~BT\winnt.sif ?

Was the first login with an admin account?

I wonder where this has failed...

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole formatting laptops via USB thing I've been trying to format my MSI Wind with little success, I've used WinSetupFromUSB. It all installs to the USB drive fine, and when I use the test in QEMU it works fine, however when I connect it to the Wind it starts to work it get past the press F6 for Raid drivers then fails with a blue screen 0x0000007B error.

The FAQ's have this to say about the error,

Q3: I get BSOD 0x0000007B during text mode of Setup.

A3: On some motherboards USB booting is tricky, common example are many Dell systems. Try using a modified NTDETECT.COM as mentioned here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/0x0000007B-Blue-...009#entry738009

Another reason could be missing mass storage driver. Make sure you have it, or integrate BTS mass storage driver pack in your source. This must be done AFTER Nlite.

I've modified my NTdetect.com (correctly I believe, the file size is perfect anyhow) I'm really struggling with the mass storage driver though. I've not used Nlite either leaving me somewhat puzzled!

I have the USB drive set to Boot option #1 [uSB HardDisk]

Can anyone point me towards what I need to do to get it working? :)

Cheers,

Daniel.

Can anyone point me towards what I need to do to get it working? :)

From what you report I may only guess:

• that the MSI Wind needs a proprietary driver for Mass Storage Devices (does it have a SATA disk?)
  • that you haven't integrated in the Source the appropriate Masss Storage Device Driver

The BTS is a pre-packaged set of drivers that cover most hardware:

http://driverpacks.net/

it's up to you to:

• find out whether it includes the appropriate driver for your hardware
  • decide whether using it (thus adding support to a vast amount of hardware but "fattening" the install source or if you just want to "plainly integrate" just the needed driver

On the other hand, you may try to follow this "specific MSI WIND" step by step tutorial (for the part regarding preparing the source):

http://forums.msiwind.net/windows/how-onec...post-t1337.html

and later either use the "other" method:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=111406

(illustrated in the tutorial)

or use this WinsetupFromUSB with GUI

jaclaz

I did another attempt this weekend, disabling the rdummy did the job (yes, it happened again) btw another minor bug it happens with the winsetupfromusb and not from the cdrom traditional way, in the middle of the text part of the installation, when the setup is copying the windows setup files for the first time, the setup complains about a file missing (phd.dll), I let it skip it and everything goes ok, anyway when I search the file after the installation it is in the system32 folder so np.

PD: Thanks jaclaz for the help.

Thanks for the feedback :)

As for rdummy- can you change the line in winnt.sif in ~BT folder from:

"sc disable rdummy"

to:

command0="sc disable rdummy"

and try again installation. As mentioned above you'd need to reboot once after the first regular windows login in order to delete the service.

As for the missing file- please zip and attach txtsetup.sif with your next post.

Is this file part of any slipstreamed windows update or application? What program did you use for the purpose?

I don't find this file in a regular XP SP3 downloaded from MSDN.

Edited by ilko_t

ok i dont know what im doing wrong, but whenever i tried to install windows xp pro sp3 on a mini lap top the c: disk doesnt appear,

does anyone know why?

i tried fat16 fat32 and im trying rite now ntfs that says to be faster but i dont care about that im just wondering

im new here and this forum is very usefull gonna hand here more often to be honest have learn lotta things

thanks in advanced

ok i dont know what im doing wrong, but whenever i tried to install windows xp pro sp3 on a mini lap top the c: disk doesnt appear,

does anyone know why?

Is it a SATA hard disk?

Did you integrate in your source the correct drivers?

jaclaz

dont know the model is hp mini 2140

when i tried to format the disk containing the windows (c:) it only appears my usb u: unit

its 4gb kingston data traverler

--------------------------

ok i just see that i need to activate an option in bios....but i works with an acer that has the option to switch the sata drive into ide mode, cant fnd that option in the mini hp 2140.....

any ideas?

----------------------------

i jsut did it yeah

i just disable sata mode on system configurations device configuration and turn LBA into Bit shift thats all..

thanks for the help....good bless the forums :D

Edited by Slackers

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a noob to this board, so bear with me. To start, I wanted to thank the developers of WinSetupFromUSB. I have been struggling for 3 days to install XP onto a tablet PC with no CD drive, and this is the first program that has helped me to install and boot XP on it. My problem, I suppose, is that I don't understand the XP boot process very well. I have XP installed onto a primary partition on the tablet, with Windows Seven on another, its just that no matter what I do, I cannot get the XP bootloader to load XP. I can boot from the WSFU jump drive and then use the second/third boot option to start XP, but whenever I try to boot that partition directly, it gives me that

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read form the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

message.

I copied the boot.ini (along with all the other files from the jump drive) from the jump drive to the XP partition, which gives me the boot menu from the jump drive, but it just gives me the same error message that I get when I was getting before copying boot.ini. XP is installed to the third partition of the only hard drive on the system, and the boot.ini line that I use from the jump drive is

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT".

I guess what I am asking is why the jump drive can boot XP, but the bootloader on the hard drive can't, even using the same boot.ini file, and ntloader file. What does it do differently to boot XP? I read the FAQ and specifically the section reminding users to leave the jump drive in until after seeing the Windows Desktop for the first time after the install; and I did do that. Should I rerun UNDOREN.CMD and BINIFIX.CMD again? I am pretty new to the intricacies of Windows bootloaders, and I realize that I am probably not providing enough information to help you guys answer my question, I just honestly don't know what information (log files, directory listings, etc) to include with this message. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once again, thanks. This install program has gotten me much closer than any other XP install method I have tried over the last three days.

(edit: I do realize that other people have had similar problems to mine, but my boot.ini file has been adjusted to use rdisk(0).)

(edit2: I just found the problem, I had made a typo when adjusting the boot.ini file. Sorry for wasting space. I am going to remember to sleep on a problem before posting about it, next time. WinSeupFromUSB is awesome. :))

Edited by alienhunter3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey ilko_t, cdob, jaclaz,

I didn't get a chance to say thanks. And now I don't see the sticky on the forum. Bummer.

Um I was wondering where I can add the script in the install directory, so the program 0.2.3 can use it every time I setup the USB for an install.

May God bless your hearts for helping. Thanks much!!!!

Macster

Edit:

I found the topic. I was wondering if others will be able to see it too, so they to can benefit from what was done?

Edited by Macster

Hey ilko_t, cdob, jaclaz,

I didn't get a chance to say thanks. And now I don't see the sticky on the forum. Bummer.

Um I was wondering where I can add the script in the install directory, so the program 0.2.3 can use it every time I setup the USB for an install.

May God bless your hearts for helping. Thanks much!!!!

Macster

Edit:

I found the topic. I was wondering if others will be able to see it too, so they to can benefit from what was done?

You are welcome :)

You may replace \WinSetupFromUSB\files\winsetup\MkMigrateInf3.cmd with the new version.

It will be used in the next version of the program.