How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Here it is:

presetup.cmd:

SET TAG=\WIN51

This file is not copied by default. In the previous BTS integrators the tag was \OEM folder.

You may copy back setup.ex_ from your XP source to ~LS\I386\ and WIN51 to USB root, or change presetup.cmd to SET TAG=\OEM.

Hopefully this will resolve all the issues.

I will make the required changes in the program, thanks for reporting :)

ilko_t, thanks for your reply.

I tried what you suggested, both copying the setup.ex_ file from my source and changing SET TAG= to \OEM, but I still do not get driverpacks extraction at the beginning of setup nor are any of the contents of the $OEM$ folder copied over. I tried creating a fresh USB stick then changing SET TAG= to \OEM but this also did not yield any results.

Edit: Apologies for my lack of reading ability, did not notice the bit about copying WIN51 to the root of the USB. DriverPacks is now extracting correctly at setup.

Just out of interest, what does the WIN51 file do? I had a look at it with Notepad and it only seems to contain the word "Windows"!

Having said that, changing the set tag to SET TAG=\OEM in presetup.cmd did not seem to have any effect.

Edited by Xeijin

It seems presetup.cmd does not get executed. The reason would be incorrect setup.ex_ used.

Can you put back \files\winsetup\setup.ex_ in ~LS\I386 AND change SET TAG= to \OEM.

If that resolves the problem, compare the extracted setup.ex_ (expand setup.ex_ setup.exe) with setupORG.exe in your XP source, are they the same? If yes- what BTS base did you use, any night build or beta? Have you used nLite or similar tool AFTER integrating BTS packs? Just random ideas...

BTW- do you have any internal/external card readers in this computer? Can you disconnect or disable them?

Edited by ilko_t

I am glad it's now resolved :)

The file is just a tag file, it should have worked with any other TAG file or folder, which is present on the USB, e.g. SET TAG=\$WIN_NT$.~BT, unless that tag is coded in the fake setup.ex_ as well. Have to play a bit with the latest BTS packs to see what has been changed.

• 4 weeks later...

I am afraid not yet. That part is parsed during Text mode and since we remove the whole unattended section it does not get applied.

I can think of 2 possible workarounds- put programfiles directive in [data] section in ~bt\winnt.sif and hope it gets parsed.

The other would be messing with setup.hiv etc. to change ProgramFiles path in advance. I have looked at that option before but don't recall much.

I wanted to thank you all for this great program! I attempted to use wimb's tool, but gave up after the first hal32.dll error to look for another program, after having already searched forever and being tired of looking at all the other alternatives.

This works great to install WinXP SP1, but the biggest request I have is to allow an easy method for multiple installs. Why is it only a one off installation? QED brought this up earlier. As well as this works, this problem requires you to spend all the time in preparation, keep the original files somewhere on a hard disk or CD indefinitely in order to make another one off installation. It seems like there should be a better way than deleting files and having to rerun the installation or copy the file and waste write cycles. In that case I might as well burn the nLite installation to a CD. I wonder how many people find this out after they go to reinstall? It would be great to have your perfect nLited installation on a keychain that you could install at any time!

Anyway thanks for the program and I hope you consider changing this.

Edited by sleepeeg3

I wanted to thank you all for this great program! I attempted to use wimb's tool, but gave up after the first hal32.dll error to look for another program, after having already searched forever and being tired of looking at all the other alternatives.

Maybe you gave it up too early. ;)

I would be curious to know about "all the other alternatives", though. :unsure:

jaclaz

This works great to install WinXP SP1, but the biggest request I have is to allow an easy method for multiple installs. Why is it only a one off installation? QED brought this up earlier. As well as this works, this problem requires you to spend all the time in preparation, keep the original files somewhere on a hard disk or CD indefinitely in order to make another one off installation. It seems like there should be a better way than deleting files and having to rerun the installation or copy the file and waste write cycles. In that case I might as well burn the nLite installation to a CD. I wonder how many people find this out after they go to reinstall? It would be great to have your perfect nLited installation on a keychain that you could install at any time!

Anyway thanks for the program and I hope you consider changing this.

The problem is that we make the USB stick write-protected during Text mode by using a registry key inserted by migrate.inf. Unfortunately this key works for XP SP2 and SP3 only. There have been number of attempts to overcome the problem, using the very same approach but without any luck.

WinSetupFromUSB produces a warning that some files will be deleted if source is not XP SP2 or 3, that's the best I can do for now. In ReadMe.txt and How-To.txt the problem is described as well.

If install often, using various sources you should consider using PE (WinBuilder/BartPE/WinPE...) and setup launched by winnt32.exe, or wimb's implementation of this method.

As for the hal.dll error- USB_multiboot and WinSetupFromUSB use the same algorithm when creating the boot files. Maybe something else went wrong.

Check the FAQs topic for details.

Edited by ilko_t

Hi,

Many Linux distros can be added via "add Syslinux bootsector/distro" option and selecting the folder with the extracted ISO/IMG in order to copy it to the USB stick.

This way grub4dos bootloader will load a bootsector loading syslinux, which is included with nearly all Linux distros and menu is already present.

Limitations are:

-NTFS is not supported, cannot make syslinux bootsector on NTFS plus many distros may complain if NTFS support is not included in the startup scripts

-the distro should have a directory named syslinux in its root, otherwise you manually have to place it there and/or amend syslinux.cfg options

It's easier to use grub4dos functionality and skip the syslinux part.

For ophcrack in particular, extract ophcrack directory from the liveCD ISO to the root USB disk.

From directory boot extract only initrd.gz and vmlinuz and place them in USB_root\ophcrack\.

Add these lines to the existing USB_root\menu.lst :

title Ophcrack Graphic mode
kernel /ophcrack/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;startx changes=/slax/
initrd /ophcrack/initrd.gz

title Ophcrack Graphic VESA mode
kernel /ophcrack/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=startx changes=/slax/

title Ophcrack Text mode
kernel /ophcrack/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/slax/

Tested on USB stick with NTFS formatted partition and worked fine on real hardware, even revealed my weak windows passwords in seconds.

How did we make those entries? In ophcrack CD there is \boot\syslinux\syslinux.cfg with 1 line only-

INCLUDE /boot/ophcrack.cfg

So we look into /boot/ophcrack.cfg :

Quoting the important part only:

LABEL xconf

MENU LABEL Ophcrack Graphic mode

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;startx changes=/slax/

TEXT HELP

More about currently selected:

Run Ophcrack the best way we can.

Try to autoconfigure graphics

card and use the maximum

allowed resolution

ENDTEXT

LABEL startx

MENU LABEL Ophcrack Graphic VESA mode

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=startx changes=/slax/

TEXT HELP

Run ophcrack with X, but skip

gfx-card config. Force 1024x768

using standard VESA driver

ENDTEXT

LABEL ophcrack

MENU LABEL Ophcrack Text mode

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/slax/

TEXT HELP

Run ophcrack in textmode and start

command prompt only

ENDTEXT

This is syslinux/isolinux syntax, we have to make it grub4dos.

LABEL ophcrack ---> not needed

MENU LABEL Ophcrack Graphic mode ---> title Ophcrack Graphic mode

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz -->kernel /ophcrack/vmlinuz (file was moved, capital letters matter) Here will add kernel parameters later

APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;startx changes=/slax/ --> initrd /ophcrack/initrd.gz

The rest in the line APPEND, after initrd=... goes as kernel parameter back to the line kernel /.... so our grub4dos line kernel .... becomes

kernel /ophcrack/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;startx changes=/slax/

Help text will ignore for now. Latest grub4dos versions do support help text:

title This is the title\nThis is the help text.\nAnd this is the 2nd line of the help text.

Does this now makes sense? This way you can include pretty much any Linux distro in your USB disk with very little tweaking.

To do that automatically by WinSetupFromUSB would require a lot of coding and will not be universal, plus there so many Linux distros, which are updated and changed constantly.

Edited by ilko_t

An ENORMOUS thank you

good I almost everything, one more question:

I understand to Ophcrack but how to save 2 versions of Ophcrack? Ophcrack vista and xp?

how to make a difference as the registers have the same name?

sorry for my English

Edited by sibuno

Check I made a success, because there was conflict, in the starting up of ophcrack he(it) fetched tables in the ophcrack file, and I I created an ophcrack file for xp and ophcrack2 for vista, I just have to add tables in a répetroire of ophcrack, as the software is the same for 2 versions there are only the tables which change, I tried everything works well, I still thank you for your precious help.