XP just won't install! Family is p***ed off!

vaaf

I'm trying to install XP again (Vista didn't really work out for me), but I keep getting the same error no matter what I try:

Error:

Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms. Error Message : Incorrect function.

Fatal Error:

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Incorrect function.

Error:

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "F:\I386\asms\52\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\NETWORKING\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.MAN" on line 0.

Error:

Installation Failed: F:\I386\asms. Error Message : Manifest Parse Error : Invalid at the top level of the document.

I've tried Googling these error messages, and I did manage to find a couple of similar threads, but none of them had a concrete solution.

So far I've tried both SP2 and SP3, burning to all kinds of different CDs, as well as disabling as much hardware as possible in my BIOS.

But the problem remains.

What on earth could be causing this? I'm using a HP Compaq dc7100, Pentium 4.

I seem to recall a working installation with the first version of SP2, the one with no hotfixes, but I don't have that anymore.

Is there anything I can remove with nLite perhaps?

Best regards,

Vaaf

Edited by vaaf

That's probably an incorrectly burned CD. Make sure you are burning the cd correctly. Use cdimage.exe. Or copy the CD to hard drive (possibly from dos), and install from the HD.

-gosh

That's probably an incorrectly burned CD. Make sure you are burning the cd correctly. Use cdimage.exe. Or copy the CD to hard drive (possibly from dos), and install from the HD.

-gosh

As I said though, I've tried burning to all kinds of different CDs. It must be something else.

One of the DLL or CAT files in your I386ASMS?? folder does not match its .MAN (.manifets) file hash

Great! :thumbup

So what do I do?

I you are sure it´s not your CDs, then look at the hardware.

A bad:

- CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM/DVD-RW drive or;

- Memory;

- Hard disk;

- Motherboard

Would be most common.

Still strange that it only hits that file every time with different CDs...

I you are sure it´s not your CDs, then look at the hardware.

A bad:

- CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM/DVD-RW drive or;

- Memory;

- Hard disk;

- Motherboard

Would be most common.

Still strange that it only hits that file every time with different CDs...

I've tried to disable as much hardware as possible and I'm still trying, but to no avail.

Thanks!

hi...out of curiousity what speed are you burning the discs at? may sound daft but always recommended to burn these kind of discs at a slow speed...cheers

Appreciate your concern, but I've tried all possible speeds.

Well, you aren't very helpful. Processor overheating? Though you say it's always at the same file... By the looks of it it has to do with networking. Did you try disabling/removing the network card?

Actually no, I'll give that a shot and we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by vaaf

I've given the answer. You're burning the CD wrong. You are using the wrong compatibility mode, which is truncating the files. The problem is not the cdr, but the compatibility mode you are using.

-gosh