How does Win9x handle Broadband?

galahs

I've hooked up my ADSL to my Ethernet card and it does indeed feel like its running quicker.

Might be just a placebo though?

EDIT

I did a test.

First a booted the computer, then run "Process Explorer" to measure CPU Usage.

The computers CPU usage hovered at around 1.9%

I then turned on the modem connected by USB. After a spike the usage stayed at an average of 2.5%

Restarted the computer

booted the computer, then run "Process Explorer" to measure CPU Usage.

The computers CPU usage hovered at around 1.9%

turned on the modem connected by Ethernet cable and after an initial spike (shorter duration than with the USB connection), the cpu usage settled back at 1.9%

A repeat test netted the same result.

Interesting hey!

Edited by galahs

What's the story on this? Why is e way WinMe handles internet connections better?

What files are updated?

* Some of the major 98SE2ME benefits:

- fixed many OS BUGs + security vulnerabilities

- improved graphical user interface (GUI), Explorer + Shell, especially if

installed option 3

- faster + improved Dial-Up + Broadband Connections, TCP/IP, LAN/WAN, Winsock,

networking + internet

- faster + improved hard disk virtual cache

- faster + improved memory management

- faster + improved multimedia, audio + video playback

I was just looking around http://www.speedguide.net at their freeware TCP Optimizer

They talk about modifying MTU and RWIN values in Windows based on what type of internet connection you have.

So I ask... how well does Windows 95/98/98SE/Me support broadband (ADSL, Cable, ISDN etc) internet connections?

Are their any useful updates and tweaks that are worth carrying out?

I've been running 98SE with DSL for 7-8 years now. If you don't have one, I'd suggest a rudimentary home network be established, network cards are a whole lot easier to install in 98SE these days than somebody's all-in-one router card. USB I wouldn't even consider, drivers probably aren't available and older MBs tend to have dodgy USB ports May work fine for the mass storage stuff but other items not so good.

Don't cheap out on ethernet cards, either. I've been using Intel's 100/1000 Mb cards for the last 5 years or so, no problems under 98SE(or anything else). Haven't done any tweaking on network parameters, file transfers between machines run 4-8x faster under 98SE than W2K on the same box. I've had both Linksys and 3COM cards in there, had problems with 3COM's drivers and Linksys had 4 different chipsets for the same card's model number, all with different drivers.

Did the 98SE2ME bit on my install, didn't notice anything dramatic either way on the network.

Stan

You don't have guess or feel if it's faster. Test it both ways. There's speed tests that use java or flash here. I've had more consistent results with the java tests. They handle higher speeds as well. You might want to check out the tweak test while you're there.

Rick

What's the story on this? Why is e way WinMe handles internet connections better?

What files are updated?

* Some of the major 98SE2ME benefits:

- fixed many OS BUGs + security vulnerabilities

- improved graphical user interface (GUI), Explorer + Shell, especially if

installed option 3

- faster + improved Dial-Up + Broadband Connections, TCP/IP, LAN/WAN, Winsock,

networking + internet

- faster + improved hard disk virtual cache

- faster + improved memory management

- faster + improved multimedia, audio + video playback

Excerpt from 98SE2ME READ1ST.TXT:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php

- patched Win98 SE VIP.386 4.10.2228:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329128

+ patched VTCP.386 4.10.2223:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=236926

into %windir%\SYSTEM [usually C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM].

These 2 drivers MUST be ALREADY installed in order to use these WinME system

files: MSWSOCK.DLL, MSWSOSP.DLL, WINSOCK.DLL, WS2_32.DLL, WS2HELP.DLL,

WS2THK.DLL, WSCTHUNK.DLL, WSOCK32.DLL, WSASRV.EXE, AFVXD.VXD, WSHTCP.VXD,

WSIPX.VXD, WSOCK.VXD + WSOCK2.VXD.

- patched Win98 SE RPCRT4.DLL 4.71.3336:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269874

available at:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#ADD

into %windir%\SYSTEM [usually C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM].

BTW:

98SE2ME adds most WinME TCP/IP files to Windows 98 SE:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

Other WinME files involved in TCP, Winsock + Dial-Up:

RASAPI16.DLL

RASAPI32.DLL

RNAAPP.EXE

RNAPH.DLL

RNASERV.DLL

RNASETUP.DLL

RNASMM.DLL

RNATHUNK.DLL

RNAUI.DLL

RNR20.DLL

RPCLTC3.DLL

RPCLTC6.DLL

RPCLTS3.DLL

RPCLTS6.DLL

SMMSCRPT.DLL

SMMSETUP.DLL

HTH

MDGx, in my case it's not possible to install 98SE2ME because I've a Polish version of Win98SE.

Could you give me a complete list of the Internet connection related files which I can replace by those from WinME CD? :)

• 2 months later...
Just fine here in Windows 95 for years.

I thought changing those values only mattered when you had a dial-up modem.

that turned out to be false. dialup modems are so last decade; so 1998. dialup connections are as crap as using IE. that's right BenoitRen. Dialup is as crap as IE.

Get rid of dialup and upgrade to a broadband internet since broadband internet services now are pretty much widely available AND affordable. Make 2008 the year you dumped dialup for good and permanently upgrade to broadband. My brother and I dumped dialup back in 2006 and got AT&T Yahoo DSL Internet at an inexpensive price.

And lightweight browsers like Kmeleon and Opera show the true meaning of the word SUPERFAST with only broadband DSL and Cable internet connections.

I guess its good to ask if anyone has noticed Windows Me accesses the internet faster than Windows 98SE?

not really. I didn't notice any improvements when I had a WinME PC a year ago. however try installing the Q301453 hotfixes for Win98se/WinME and check if your broadband connections get any better. Also try changing "DefaultRcvWindow" reg value to 32767 or 65535 to see if your broadband internet connections improve.

Edited by erpdude8

I've never noticed any real difference in internet speeds between 98, 98SE, and ME. For tuning the connection, I use the Java tweak tool at Broadband Reports. The settings it recommends are pretty good. I usually set the RWIN at the upper limit of their recommendation or even a bit higher.

My DSL's rated speed is 864/160. Before tuning, most of the 98/98SE/ME boxes I've dealt with had average speeds of 550-600Kbps download and 100-130Kbps upload. After tuning, download speeds average 650-710Kbps, upload speeds 120-135Kbps. If WinME is faster than 98/98SE, it isn't showing it here with the service I have. Might be different on the higher speed services.

Strange as it may sound, a well configured firewall can speed up your internet service slightly. By preventing system components that don't actually need internet access from using up your bandwidth, a bit more will be available to your browser.

One of the best tools for getting the most out of your bandwidth is Proxomitron. It can be set up to block banner ads, flash ads, and bandwidth wasting scripts.

Rick

This is kinda a crazy question. Depending on your location if you have a strong network like forsay in Korea then you will be getting speeds that is around 100MB to 10000GB. You will not get higher speeds from switching to any OS at all.

If I had a computer on the Net for data purposes I would go with the one with the simplest setup. Which would be a command line no GUI OS.