RP8 for Windows 98SE

Daniel-J

What's this going to be about? What changes are going to be made from RP7? I just read recently that RP8 is coming out soon. Just wondering if it's going to be much different from RP7. Also, will it simply install over RP7?

Edited by Daniel-J

I don't see the reason to be ranting and raving over a couple of 'minor' issues despite your webview not working as it was before and other such issues. Using UNOFFICIAL software will have it's quirks and trvial bits to it. You knowingly run the risks of there being issues upon choosing to use it and should therefor either accept it or not. As the packs mature things are ironed out and issues are fixed.

All unofficial packs are still generally WORKS IN PROGRESS meaning they will be continued to be developed for quite some time. These are projects done by those devoting their free time to something they have pride in and are happy to share with others. The whole 'tech support' part is just the one person themself and/or the community. Not a 24/7 full-stocked staff at an expensive office (who most of the time don't know the answer to begin with anyway!). When something doesn't work or happen as expected on another users machine it can be rough to track down when it was all working as expected on the developers machine. They don't have hundreds of machines to test it on of all sorts and types of configurations...

.. that is when it all falls to us, the users of these packs. If something goes wrong it is up to US to help make it better by contributing to it. THis can be done through:

1) Submitting ideas

2) Reporting any bugs we find

3) Figuring out how to work around a 'bug' and sharing it to other users of it in the respective thread.

4) Try to replicate this 'bug' and give step by step information toward how it was done.

By contributing to a project you help it mature. Be it through submitting bug reports and helping to replicate these bugs to help the developer narrow down the reasoning for it. Many a time odd quirks will appear when unexpected which even the developer will not be able to readily fix. Again, remember that many projects are manned by a single individual and so cannot know everything.

Alot of 'quirks' will also be expected when working with Proprietary software, so.. there is little sourcecode to work with which in turn makes alot of projects even HARDER to get together 'just right'.

Rather than just tell everybody 'no dont use it that project is satans child! repent!' why not contribute to it some rather than shun it because you had some bad experiences. Sure, you might have gotten a harsh word from the developer yourself but then when you're seemingly bashing a project which the developer has much pride and 'vested much time toward, you'll get a hit for it. Wouldn't you feel a bit upset when someone seems to be bashing your work rather than contributing to it when it's still in progress?

Personally, yeah - I've had some bad experiences another pack but you know what? I tried to help FIX those experiences by contributing my experience to them and personally trying to find out workarounds or reasons for this experience. If the experience was a turnoff completely, I just reinstalled and not used it - that simple. I didn't rant, rave, tell poeple it's the devil, and other nonsense. I knew the risks and I willing ran those risks and quite frankly, I haven't been dissappointed.

Edited by Chozo4

Hmmm .....

Revolutions Packs is done exclusively by one person who contributed it for FREE to the windows98 community for the last several years ... From my experience, its hard work with sleepless nights when one wants to understand the ins-and-outs of just one areas of a proprietary software that is as complex as windows.

Besides, any experienced windows users knows that they're not suppose to install software for experimentation on their daily production system. If you happen to do precisely just that and got burnt ..... well, now you know better and hopefully have learned enough to expand your horizon .....

I was amazed at how RP6 back then managed to make those visual changes with almost no impact on the overall performance of a windows98 system even with minimal hardware. I was awed by the fact that lameskin is sooooo small to be able to pull those kind of skinning tricks. I have experimented with other commercial and free desktop skinners, RP still comes out top on my list. Even with some of the quirks and rocky patch here and there, I find it suitable for my daily use.

If you find that RP is not for you then you better move on. It is definitely not for you since you have issues with it. If you still keen on RP then you must learn to contribute positively ... negative attitude never gets anyone anywhere ... Constructive criticism is always welcome as it will help any developer improve their software. Critism without much substance devoids consideration ...

BTW, did you read the notice in Tihiy's first RP post that says :

"For advanced users only"

Windows Vista or even Windows XP costs more than the average monthly salary from where I come from ... So, you're telling us that we should go on hunger for a whole month just to have those so-called "beautiful makeups and eye candies" with the so-called "90 days tech-support" and "web-support" ?

All these unofficial packs/updates gives us hope that our existing systems is still a viable solution for the next few years untill we really can afford something better ...

Rgds

Edited by PassingBy

<snip the rant>

And besides, what's the point of reviving Windows 98 this late in the game anyway? That's like bringing back my grandpa so he can live for another year just to die again! The inevitable is here. Windows 98 is on it's way out! No task force can change that! So, yes...it's time to move on, as you said!

That's what I was told two years ago! Untrue then as now methinks. For here I am still using it and thanking every moment that there's user control over:

-- hard disk (wow, you can actually directly access hard disk with win98SE)

-- who I connect to (no forced connection to M$ for updates, "checking")

-- software I like (yep it runs on win98SE!)

-- keeping off software and processes one doesn't want

...and so on. NO in my book it's not time to "move on". And is it really "Move ON" or is it "Being pushed to where one doesn't really like to go"?

THANKS to this group, the updates, SE2ME, NUSB and a bunch of other really useful stuff, many have found "Hey I like it where I am", and are jolly well going to stay there for as long as possible.

RP7 is there to use or not as the case may be.

>>snip

And besides, what's the point of reviving Windows 98 this late in the game anyway? That's like bringing back my grandpa so he can live for another year just to die again! The inevitable is here. Windows 98 is on it's way out! No task force can change that! So, yes...it's time to move on, as you said!

I had a great Grandpa, a great guy who had us in stitches whenever he came visiting, driving as he did then one of the few aston martins in this region ... and I would give a hand and a foot to bring him back *even* if it's for a year - I know he'll have enough humour to carry him gracefully forward when that year ended. :)

Oh and there's more....

Indeed the inevitable is here: that w98se is here to stay - this surprised the hell out of my buddies whose

eyes popped bigger than them goldfish-eyes I'll say when they saw it purring along on my desktop.

You're damned right that no task force can change that but it took only a few Commandos from here who did

what that damned task force couldnt do! Jeez am I a stickler for accuracy - apologies.

Oh yes did I mention too that I agree tis really time to move on? umm lemme think? Yea - to Atari - now that will baffle even the boffins!

Good day all!

And... a Salute to all *The* Great 98se Commandos from here - we all know who they are but sure as hell

the silent majority in this here forum do say thanksgiving prayers for them - you bet!

t.charoen

member since 06

Edited by tee charoen

Here's a thought. If you want to make your Windows 98SE LOOK like Windows XP or Vista, then why not go out and BUY Windows XP or Vista? You'll have a much more stable operating system and you'll have tech support available!

Wow, now there's a great suggestion. Why are you still here again?

Edited by Targaff

I know people have said this time and time again... [broken record]nobody is forcing you to use it[/broken record]. And I honestly can't see why this thread was even created. It has high levels of sarcasm, and is directly bashing the project. I mean, if you were warning others about your problems, I can see a reason for a thread, but this thread is useless to anyone and everyone.

You yourself said the best advice.

I think what Tihiy has done to breathe new life into Windows 98 is great, but it's just not for me.

Windows 95 can lo longer connect to any website on the internet

this pretty much wont happen (at least for a very long time) because websites dont care what os your using most of the time (sometimes websites are evil), you just wont get or the slow "latest and greatest pretty stuff"

i could still run the internet on 3.1 sure ie5 wasnt very good, but you could run lynx and just read stuff

the other stuff the os wont be able to do but connecting to the internet isnt particularly difficult since all you need is a network card

Edited by awergh

Hmmm .....

As to assist the community to make an informed decision, I offer answers and/or opinions (as objectively as possible but I may have a slight bias) to issues raised in this topic according to post # :

Post #2:

1. Hidden file issue : issue raised is unfounded. Ability to hide files exist and is fully functional within the folder options tabs.

2. Webview issue : resolved by yours truly in :

http://www.msfn.org/board/Revolutions_Pack...142#entry703142

This issue is a moot point as webview customization only requires one to have basic html knowledge together along with some common sense.

3. Exit to DOS issue : insufficient details was provided. This has several possibilities which requires analysis between software and hardware interaction. Various causes may have a play such as :

a. failure to invoke the initial "exit to DOS" to create the required pif file

b. hardware related failures such as unstable hdd sectors or degraded cable quality or etc etc etc

c. incorrect or mismatched system drivers

d. etc etc etc

An advanced (please emphasis on advanced) and experienced user will be able to diagnose and identify the root of this issue if they understand their hardware and software.

Post #5:

I like modifying (or customizing) Windows, but RP takes that away a fair bit for me.

Incorrect. RP is a windows customization tool. It makes changes which requires advanced users (please emphasis again on advanced) to know where and what is being customized. Even the lameskin portion is now able to be customized to one's taste (if the person is up to it).

Tihiy has done a really wonderful job of raising Win98 from the dead.

Incorrect. Tihiy did not raise Win98 from the dead as Win98 is not dead yet. What he did was to have made a wonderful job of making Win98 look up-to-date.

But in the process, he (or she, I don't know this person) has killed some of my favorite Win98 features. Features that are included on EVERY operating system from Win98 and up! RP killed it!

Another misdirection. Features being refered to are hidden files functions and webview functions which has been addressed above. These features are available and functional even with RP installed.

Post #10:

Windows 98 is NOT here to stay!

One man's medicine is another man's poison ...

Don't get me wrong, I love my Windows 98 just as much as the next tech geek loves his digital puppy (which is most likely why I hate RP projects),

Possibly the reason for all this hoopla and mental games he is playing here ....

but tell me, what's going to happen when Microsoft gets rid of the registry in the next generation operating system?

That will be a very interesting scenario. It will probably break a lot of compatibility and may possibly loose more customers that way ...

Anyway, I can see I have ruffled feathers here, so I'll leave you all to believe the fairy tail the Windows 98 will somehow do something that Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 could not do...defy digital death! WINDOWS 98 IS A MIRACLE FROM GOD!!!

Ruffled feathers ? If we go through Forum Rules 7.b and follow the rule, we won't have any feathers ruffled.

7.b This community is built upon mutual respect. You are not allowed to flame other members. People who do not respect personal opinions and/or personal work will be warned in first instance. If you ignore the warning and keep on flaming, you will be banned without notice.

It is a fact that Win 3.1, Win 95 and Win98 has been deemed "End-Of-Life" and unsupported by MS. However, end-user community support still exists and is very likely to exists until the community itself declares it "digitally dead".

Windows98 is never a miracle from god. Heaven forbids it. MS has never been able to and unlikely to be able deliver a 100% perfect OS. However, users and the community of windows98 understand its weaknesses and its strengths. Windows98 is still a viable OS and will likely to be a viable solution until such time it is no longer able to meet the basic needs of the ordinary users.

My conclusion:

All issues raised were trivial and without much substance. I advise the win98 community to look at the raised issues objectively to see if any of it warranted further discussion, as I myself sees none.

Rgds

POINT1 - RP8 is scheduled to come out very soon...within the week in fact! Basically, it's just a really cool sounding name change for RP7.

POINT2 - And you know what happens when you try and blend two or more operating systems together, right?

POINT3 - The only way to access the command prompt is to restart your computer and hold CTRL before Windows loads. Yes, it works that way, but why should you have to work it that way, when you are clearly given the option to "Exit to DOS"?

Ok...

Point1 -

This is clearly utilized to indicate an increment of "release level"; where's the beef?

Point2 -

Did you check the components in any Win9x Opsys? Many are from WinNT! (WinME is what, now?)

Point3 -

Pure command prompt is done from BOOT. I assume that the option "Exit to DOS" that yopu refer to is the "MS-DOS Mode" option; this is just a Warm Reboot to DOS that you must "Exit" to Warm Reboot back to Windows. Notice the keyword "Warm"...

Summary -

If you installed RPx in a "Production" environment, your bad! In my experience there are usually a minimum of three basic tiers for any given "project" (real world, fella); Development, Test, and Production.

Here we have a case of "development" by one or more individuals released to us, the "testers", to confirm operability and report back. Once no more "bugs" have been found, then it may be released form "test" to "production".

I know how this works; I participated in the coding of the Configuration Management Software for the USAF AFMC, called BMF (no, not Big M-F or Bad M-F; Baseline Management Facility).

Jeez, even M$ recommends backups before installing some things... DUH!

Common sense... ;)