HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

Quick reply before I go to work:

1. Connect to the torent, it's in the \AddOns folder. Basic info here.

2. Correct.

3. Not that I know.

4. I haven't encountered this problem, but try removing the shutdown command and manually rebooting, see if it consistently goes away.

Kurt, an alternative way to install directx, while still using your batch file approach. Tested and seems to work fine in Vmware, going to try on real install. :

directx_jun2008_redist.exe /t:"%temp%" /q

pushd "%temp%"

start /wait DXSETUP.exe /silent

popd

As you can see, this bypasses the need to extract the redistributable file, as it does so on showtime.

pushd is command to specify which directory to go to, and popd will erase content of temp.

Of course, paths to files must be present. popd and pushd are windows commands.

So %Source%directx_jun2008_redist.exe f.example.

Edited by TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy:

You're right, that's a cleaner way to do it, or you could look at it as one less thing for the end user to have to do (& possibly stuff up).

The current method is a holdover from my Windows 2000 guide. In that guide I have UpdatePrep.bat delete all the x64.cab files from the extracted DirectX, this saves 27MB on the install media compared to the unextracted file. Of course as hardly any x64 boxes would only have a CD drive, space used on the install media is not a big deal like it is with W2K boxes.

I'll implement the change on the next update.

JohnHC:

Try the attached batch file (be sure to rename it back to a .bat file), I've modified the shutdown command so that it should allow the Administrator account to fully initialize. You'll also have to re-run nLite and drop the "Pause" at the end of the RunOnce commands (as below) and put the UNextracted DirectX installer at \RunOnce.

TimeOut /T 40
CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat

Define BO protection, as (thankfully) I can't smell you from here, is it perhaps already working? :whistle:

Edited by Kurt_Aust

Yes, i like it better this way, since fewer files on dvd and it's cleaner, at least i think so, it makes future managment easier.

I'm going to simply rename the directx_jun2008_redist.exe into mydirectsetup.exe so i dont have to edit the batch file for each directx update (and have to extract it and so forth every time)

A small detail yes, but such small details added together makes for a better install in the long run. Automated tasks are nice.

I think i also have found a good way to disable pagefile via batch file, and finally found out the right registry settings to perfectly disable mouse acceleration, if you're interested.

I'm so looking forwarding to a real re-install atm. Now if only booogy could add some removal options of DRM in wmp11, so i dont have to do it myself =), this is getting somewhere (i found also ways to remove several things i deemed not necessary for wmp to function, such as portable devices, network sharing, and so on.)

Kurt,

Thanks for your replies.

BO = Buffer Overflow. Learned this term on the Comodo forum.

I should have said SafeSurf. When Comodo is installed with the protection you will see ASKtoolbar, SafeSurf as well as CFP in Add/Remove. When the silent switch is used, I only see CFP there. The bad news is: if CFP is installed without SafeSurf, you must remove Comodo and reinstall to get SS installed.

I will try your RUN1 file, but since I have extensively modified your original file, I will just try the 120 Shutdown time and remove the Pause via nLite. Since I defined a user account in nLite, your program runs under it and not the Administrator account. My defined account has administrative privileges.

I would rather not have a timer dependency. If I remove the /F, will the Shutdown wait for tasks to complete or abandon the restart?

Probably is a good thing you are some distant away. My Radio Shack outdoor thermometer reported 109F yesterday and has already hit 100F today.

Thanks again.

Enjoy, John.

Well, I built an ISO with nLite with no problem and started the Install under VMware Server (using the ISO file as a virtual CD) and at about t-14, my system crashed. I reset and started up VMware install again and my system crashed when I was selecting the options to format the disk. I did not use VMware for a week because of the crashes I was having. I had moved form 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 to see if that would would help but it seemed to make it worse. Last Saturday, I removed 1.0.6 and installed 1.0.4 (since Kurt said he had no crash problems). I ran Saturday and Sunday with no problems. I opened a discussion on the VMware Server forum (posting my minidumps and VM logs) a couple weeks ago and have received no response. I also opened a Service Request against the Beta version (the install hung) at the same time and have received no response. I am going to have to retreat and think about this for a while. My system has always been very stable and this really surprises and scares me. I DLed the necessary SW to look at the minidumps and so far they all show the process to be vmware-vmx.exe. I should point out that I really don't know what I am looking at or for but I do see the tracks of VMware. I installed these tools on my VM so I have not looked at the last two dumps, so don't know what they show.

Enjoy, John.

COKEDUDEUSF,

Are your sure you're replying to the correct forum topic? This topic is about Win XP x64 Edition and there is no SP3. SP2 is the latest Service Pact at this time and may the last for all time.

Enjoy, John.

COKEDUDEUSF,

Are your sure you're replying to the correct forum topic? This topic is about Win XP x64 Edition and there is no SP3. SP2 is the latest Service Pact at this time and may the last for all time.

Enjoy, John.

Yes I'm sure. Look here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

The date published is May 6.

COKEDUDEUSF,

Enjoy, John.

Yes I'm sure. Look here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

The date published is May 6.

Quote from the link you provide:

" * Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Home Edition N; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional N; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition "

Where does it say 64 bit in there?

64bit XP is NOT the same as 32bit xp and never, ever will be.

Yo, CokeDude:

Try to think of Windows XP Pro x64 as Windows Server 2003 home edition, that's what it really is (note all the hotfixes are in the form WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB******-x64-ENU.exe). It uses the same code base Windows Server 2003 x64, just with the server extensions stripped out.

Windows XP (Home or Prof) -> NT kernel 5.1 x86

Windows XP Pro x64 edition -> NT kernel 5.2 x64

They are NOT compatible at the hotfix or service pack level.

JohnHC:

Never had problem like that, the only thing that comes to mind is some sort of weird driver conflict.

A few notes on that revised Run1_XP-64.bat file, my initial testing didn't include applications (OS only). As a result of testing with the full app loadout:

1. Increase the shutdown timeout to 240 (that's when my USB HDD settled down, if paranoid try 300).

2. Make sure start precedes it >> Start ShutDown /R /F /T 240

3. You'll have to add /NoRestart to VMware tools installation.

I've reuploaded the file with these changes.

Comodo Firewall has never been silent install friendly, version 2.4 had no silent install capability (someone made a switchless installer, but only by installing, repacking & using 1001 reg entries). With version 3 they said silent install would possible but provided no documentation as to how.

When asked on the forums one of the mods said to try the "-s", which only "worked" with the extracted installer and in reality the installer crashed when fed that switch. Note that a silent install friendly app will accept -S, /s & /S as well as -s, not Comodo, nor does it give any info when fed /?. As I have no way of knowing what is hard coded into the installer, for now what you get is what you get.

Kurt, while talking about firewalls, is there any alternative that will effectively replace windows firewall and sort of can act is it was it?

I'm trying to add windows firewall back in my preset, but it's been so long since i've used it i have forgotten all its dependencies. I have ALG with it, but Punkbuster silent install still doesnt go silently, so i am missing some

components, I am working on it now tho. Have also contacted EvenBalance who makes punkbuster, so hopefully it can be made truly silent, when - only time will tell.

The other alternative i see is if i had a program which could automatically click OK on the two error boxes, when windows firewall is not operational/missing. But i know of no such program that can do such a task via

command line interface.

Yep, sounds like you're looking at AutoIt type solutions. As for firewalls, GeeksToGo are heavily into security (esp. malware removal) topics, I'm sure your answer can be found there.

I chose Comodo Firewall to be supported as it's top rated and free, similarly Avast gets good ratings (& free). I'm limited to only supporting one of each type of security (2 anti-spyware) and other driver level software in order to avoid conflicts, also I've only got so much time for testing.

Kurt,

I apparently have a hardware problem. This morning I ran two passes of Memtest86 with no errors then brought up XP and ran Prime95 Stress Test. It showed a funny .5 roundoff error, more than the .4 it should have been. This sounds more like an algorithm error than HW. While I was searching for a newer copy of Prime95 (mine is over two years old), I ran a custom Stress Test from Prime95 and my system crashed. I have set it aside and will open it up and look around. The CPU temperature only got up to 52C but the core voltage dropped off to 1.43 from 1.48. I may have to boost the core voltage a little.

CFP: I found a post on the Comodo forum from Buhric saying he had found switches in CFPCONFG.EXE and said 'Theres plenty more sitches.... '. I replied and asked about SafeSurf switches but have received no reply. His post is here.

Is there any way to avoid a timeout? Does my idea of removing the /F have any value?

I have written a little AutoIt for the VMware Tools because of the restart that was coming with it. I will probably go back to your way adding the /NoRestart.

Enjoy, John.

John, i have to say, i looked at that thread you linked to, my jaw simply dropped to the floor of some of the responses there.

I really don't understand this attitude some people have, when you have a piece of great software, and there is a obvious way to make it even faster and simpler to manage,

and then the seemingly refusal to do so. I mean come on, it would take probably like a good 10 minutes, while sipping coffee, to repackage the program into a installer with msi to have silent switches and more.

I somehow suspect that there are corporate things which someone like me cannot understand, that has hindered the process, on again a level i dont fathom, as it anyways in the end goes against

user requests, and then ultimately making the software reflect poor in some way it shouldnt be. If people are to buy a product (tho it is a free version of it), i think its little to ask that i have

simple silent install possibilities and such.

As to your Prime95 situation, which runs single core, i would recommend Orthos which is a dual core program if that is what you have.

You will need to check affinity's of program if you have more then 2 cpu cores present in system.

One question:

I know there are several directx packages where the commercial goes only 32bit or only 64bit files included.

Being windows xp 64bit, would one not need to have both 32&64bit directx pack? I at least think so and dont quite see the point here.

Because even if you did just update 64bit directx side, you would then be stuck with non-updated 32bit directx.

Or is this just totally wrong?

Edited by TranceEnergy