Bourne Ult

gosh

Just saw the bourne ult last night, very good movie. It's so nice to see something that doesn't have cheap cgi or gimmicks. Although i thought it was very ironic. In Robert Ludlum's bourne series, Jason Bourne is a former vietnam assassin, in the movies he's from some unknown conflict, probably iraq. Before the movie, there was 2 or 3 previews for future movies about cia torture and renditions. In the movie you see bourne being water boarded (which the cia has been accused of doing). It's very ironic, the original book focused on a nixon-era secret agency operating out of vietnam using torture and black opps, and in the movie bourne is a cia assassin from iraq doing black opps for the cia during the bush administration. Sometimes history repeats...

-gosh

I also thought it was an excellent movie. One interesting note about the Bourne series is that during fight scenes, there's little to no music at all. With other action movies, your attention is somewhat distracted by the big, fancy rock or techno music that's playing in the background - but with Bourne, it's pure, clean beating-the-crap-out-of-each-other. :yes:

I had heard good reviews before. Yours' cinches it. I'm going to the theater. First time in a long time.

pure, clean beating-the-crap-out-of-each-other. :yes:

Yes, purity and cleanliness. :angel

I remember enjoying the fight sequences in the first two movies. Very real. I watched them and thought that that is a believable fight. I never noticed if there was no music. In fact it is now probably going to be a small distraction when I watch the movie and listen for where the music is played. Great, thanks. :P

DL

I personally liked this one better than the second one. However i think that they went over board (again) with the shaky camera effect. I realize that they want you to "feel" like you're in the action but theres not much action involved in pacing back and forth in a office, or talking on the phone. Don't get me wrong, i do like the concept but i feel it was excessive. i like TV series like the shield on fx, i think they have a much easier to watch feel. I'm not epileptic but after watching Bourne supremacy/ultimatum i feel like i might be ;)

The first movie had the best camera angles and panning IMO. if they went through and edited the second and third movie to give it a "steady cam" feel i think they'd sell a bunch more DVDs when they come out :P

Having read all three books multiple times, I have to say that the changes to the story line were a bit disconcerting, but watching the action scenes made up for those changes. There were scenes, especially in the first one, where the action was almost perfectly in sync with the way the books were written, and I can't wait to see how well the Ultimatum plays out in terms of following the book.

I look forward to actually watching this one in the theater, for a change. I don't do theaters a lot, for my hate of the MPAA (and it's red-headed step-sister, the RIAA) but I think this one is one I will bite the bullet on and go see.

Saw it with some friends last night and almost everyone loved it. Some people said that future installments are forthcoming, but the original author of the books is dead. Apparently someone else has written a couple of books since the original author's death. Perhaps those will become films?

Spoiler Alert

I saw this in theaters for $8.50. I thought it was a great movie. I disliked the excessive shaky-cam. I was breaking a sweat and on the edge of my seat with the fight scene between Bourne and Desh.

I was expecting more from the ending... he was basically a confused young boy willing to show off to his superiors by convincing himself that he was a special assassin. He was good inside but forced himself to be evil when necessary. The gunshot to the back that landed him with his memory loss was probably the best thing that ever happened to him. We basically just spent 3 movies waiting for him to find the pics and names of those who guided him through the first door and killing that headbagged guy in the corner. He simply decided he wanted no more of that and took another bullet but survived.

You did the right thing, David Webb.

Edited by Jeremy

i finally was able to get to watch this movie and it was fantastic, none stop action, one hell of an ending for a great series of movies. the fight scenes were out of this world, very real like, who ever composed the fight scenes knew actactly what the viewer dreamed of seeing,, realisim

Edited by Lost Soul

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm not disappointed. Never actually got to listen for the music. I was to busy watching the movie. :rolleyes:

"shaky camera effect", yep, it was a little overdone. I was a bit annoying and therefore distracting.

Did you see the number of stunt men involved? There must have been at least 200.

Spoiler>

Stuff I liked:

- Curb hop to the wall. Cool.

- <not an exact quote> "Well, if that were true, we would be talking face to face" HA!

- The slow strangle. Not because of the strangle, but because of the shock it delivers to you, slowly like it did her. From what I understand, it takes 25 to 30 seconds for brain death to set in. So that guy might still be alive! :o

- Her breaking up her cell phone. It took me a second to realize she was leaving bread crumbs for him to follow.

- He took over a 100 foot fall, which in itself can be fatal. Hitting water at the speed he would have attained, it could be an impact like hitting concrete. I never saw him get hit with a bullet, I never saw any blood in the water, maybe the other assassin hadn't finished returning the favor and shot wide, maybe the other assassin is now on his road to recovery.

DL

Just saw the bourne ult last night, very good movie. It's so nice to see something that doesn't have cheap cgi or gimmicks. Although i thought it was very ironic. In Robert Ludlum's bourne series, Jason Bourne is a former vietnam assassin, in the movies he's from some unknown conflict, probably iraq. Before the movie, there was 2 or 3 previews for future movies about cia torture and renditions. In the movie you see bourne being water boarded (which the cia has been accused of doing). It's very ironic, the original book focused on a nixon-era secret agency operating out of vietnam using torture and black opps, and in the movie bourne is a cia assassin from iraq doing black opps for the cia during the bush administration. Sometimes history repeats...

-gosh

Just saw the latest. All three were great flicks.

& great to see you round here gosh.