[Release] Live Messenger 8.5 final

Shark007

You can easily modify this released installer by REPLACING any current file with newer or patched file(s). To update this installer take the newer/patched files from an already installed machine and replace the files in this package. This installer uses WinRAR. This installer is SVCPACK compatible.

This updated installer uses the original MSI to perform the installation and is English Only.

For languages other than English, download the tutorial at the bottom of this post.

Downloads are on my repository(s)

the following is not difficult to do

If you would like to modify messenger's msi in your own language for use in a deployment scenario

or the creation of an AIP (which is what i use to create the editable installers) get the attached tutorial.

The tutorial applies to ALL languages.

only logged in users may download the tutorial

8.5tutorial.7z

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

just one question. is not that im knocking your installer off but is there a point to make this installer since you can unpack the msi from the original installer and use msi siwtches?

i mean, if there is nothing more than the absence of swithces i dont see a point here. just wondering why a switchless insteller, no offense.

Do you mind explaining how to add my own custom settings with apatch?

I tried to install with the original msi file using /qn switch and then SFX extract the messenger .exe after installation (.exe copied from prev. install with apatch). Used this method for MSN messenger 7.5 but didnt work. Any idea?

Do you mind explaining how to add my own custom settings with apatch?
1st download and install Live Messenger. Next get Apatch (google it) or similar software and with messenger NOT loaded, use Apatch on your current installation. Be sure to choose 'backup files' so that the original files are marked .bak. Then go to the installation directory and copy the patched files (you'll know which are patched because the originals are now .bak). Decompress my installer and overwrite the existing files in my installer with the patched ones. re-create the 7zip sfx exe , and use it in your uA media.

Disclaimer: Patching MSN Messenger infringes on Microsoft's Terms of Use. Using Apatch is your own rational choice and I nor MSFN are responsible for your choice in any way.

shark

Edited by Shark007

Why would it not work to install using .msi /qn and then SFX those .bak files back to installdir? (ofcourse without .bak extension)
The bak files are the originals. copying them over wont get you a patched copy.

You can easily use the original installer and after its installed overwrite installed files with patched files. I assume the original will allow /qn etc. i have not tested this though. The only reason i can see this scenario failing is that Messenger is loaded and you cant overwite loaded files.

Never mind, thank you for the help..... Got it...
Ok.. i'm never minding.

shark

Edited by Shark007

just dont get why the switchless yet, but nevermind. thanks anyway for providing it for ppl interested.

to apply a-patch patches files just take the patched files from installed live messenger folder. look for the files with .bak extensions, the new ones with .exe are the ones to be included in a sfx archive. just extract them and overwrite the files after the msi with /qn or this switchless setup from shark.

this way works great for the new version and the one before this one. i have tested it successfully.

just dont get why the switchless yet, but nevermind. thanks anyway for providing it for ppl interested.
The main focus of MSFN (correct me if i'm wrong) is unattended windows installations. A switchless installer is very useful for these types of installations because no user interaction is required.

shark

Edited by Shark007

The main focus of MSFN (correct me if i'm wrong) is unattended windows installations. A switchless installer is very useful for these types of installations because no user interaction is required.

i thought that switchless installers came into play when an installer cant be executed silently. so i never use a switchless installer unless a setup cant be launched silently. i asked before because i was curious.

@boardbabe: it happens all the time. some days are like being a zombie at the computer without being conscious on what we're doing lol ;)

• 2 months later...
should this work with build 689?
There have been major changes since i last made an installer for this requiring me to update the entire package. Also included is a link to my Ink Installer which enables the Handwriting TAB. Updated to 8.0.0689 on May 6th, 2006

shark

Edited by Shark007

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
guys but, if i install unattended way the new msn messenger and then apply the reg file generated by the mess.be patch isn't the same a good way to modify msn?

No u must replace patched msnmsgr.exe an mslang.dll too.