Router Firmware - WRT54G

I have an older Linksys WRT54G (Version 2) and I have recently applied the "Tomato" firmware to it. It seems better than the stock Firmware that comes from Linksys?

What is the consensus of the firmwares that are available for the WRT54G?

• DD-WRT
  • FreeWRT
  • HyperWRT (official)
  • HyperWRT Thibor
  • OpenWRT
  • Tarifa
  • X-Wrt

Thanks,

Kent

I'm using v4.20.8 - HyperWRT 2.1b1+tofu6.2 version for my WRT54G, and when I saw that post I tried to find the site and community dedicated to this router, but was unlucky. I can't find it in my favorite list anywhere.

Now that you've mentioned it, I'd like to update my firmware although I'm very satisfied with this version.

I'm using v4.20.8 - HyperWRT 2.1b1+tofu6.2 version for my WRT54G, and when I saw that post I tried to find the site and community dedicated to this router, but was unlucky. I can't find it in my favorite list anywhere.

Now that you've mentioned it, I'd like to update my firmware although I very satisfied with this version.

HyperWRT is available from - http://www.thibor.co.uk/

Thanks for all of the posts in response to my question!

Kent

I'm using Tomato right now, and having no troubles whatsoever! Over 4 months of uptime before I upgraded to v1.07! :thumup

I had a scary experience with DD-WRT... the router seemed to work fine, but then just got slower, and slower...and slower. Ultimately, I couldn't do anything on the network. WebGUI was unavailable, internet connectivity was out. Oddly enough, the DHCP server was working just fine. I could connect and disconnect to the network - wired and wireless - without any trouble. I tried hard resetting it, no dice. I unplugged it, and tried again the next morning, and finally I was able to restor a different firmware on there.

I've had no issues with Thibor or Tomato. *touch wood*

I'm using Tomato right now, and having no troubles whatsoever! Over 4 months of uptime before I upgraded to v1.07! :thumup

I had a scary experience with DD-WRT... the router seemed to work fine, but then just got slower, and slower...and slower. Ultimately, I couldn't do anything on the network. WebGUI was unavailable, internet connectivity was out. Oddly enough, the DHCP server was working just fine. I could connect and disconnect to the network - wired and wireless - without any trouble. I tried hard resetting it, no dice. I unplugged it, and tried again the next morning, and finally I was able to restor a different firmware on there.

I've had no issues with Thibor or Tomato. *touch wood*

that issue was caused because the firmware wasn't setup to handle a large amount of simultaneous connections by default. Once you go in and increase the settings on that (steps available on their wiki), everything started working like a charm again. I ran into the exact same thing. I believe they have resolved it an update or 2 ago

But the problem stuck around even after leaving it off for 5 minutes, and then doing a hard reset! The entire unit was unresponsive for about an hour (with various lengths of time being unpowered) before I gave up for the night and left it unplugged. Finally, 6 hours later, I was able to get a WebGUI from it and flash back to Thibor (which I used at the time).