CCleaner

Jeremy

I install this for clients who call in with software issues on occasion...

Check out this screenshot... Clicky the linky

I almost fell off my chair when I saw it.

Try and beat that.

Im wondering if you tried any other software before you run Ccleaner? my favorite is TuneUp Utilities.

i heard ccleaner names alot recommended by many users in this forum,im just gonna try it out and see if its any good.

Ok so i finally put Ccleaner and TuneUp disk Clear in test.Here is the simple result:

4mwjmtf.jpg6gu3x4i.jpg

*Sorry for the disappointment Ccleaner fans but the fact remains that ccleaner is a freeware tool.

Edited by Woomera

May have been recycle bin contents, making it appear CCleaner look as though it deleted a lot. There still exist countless problems with it, and the author has known about them for well over a year; yet he blatantly ignored posts where people offered assistance and refused to address all those major key issues.

was there a lot in the recycle bin though? :)

its still tons more than i've ever had, max i've seen was about 6gb, (no recycle bin though)

-edit, just read the specs of that pc, must have taken AGES for ccleaner to run!

Edited by bledd

Im wondering if you tried any other software before you run Ccleaner? my favorite is TuneUp Utilities.

I was at work, was on a call, and was troubleshooting a problem and therefore did not have time to install trials of different programs.

You might like to try nCleaner as well. There's even one called DCleaner...

Tarun, the point is that it cleans a LOT of junk/cache files and should always be run before a defrag. I ignore the bulls*** and keep my eye on the key points, which more people should do. The fact that it allows for the deletion of the Prefetch files is not a bug or problem. Some may find it unnecessary but others find it useful.

I should add that the client's HDD capacity was only 30GB and after CCleaner was ran, she had only 1.5GB of consumed space, so her entire HDD was crammed full of junk! *cries*

They say 80% of all PCs in the world have malware on them, well what about the percentage of HDDs that are fragmented and full of junk/temp files? There is a serious loss of global performance there... lol

There still exist countless problems with it, and the author has known about them for well over a year; yet he blatantly ignored posts where people offered assistance and refused to address all those major key issues.

Could you please post a couple of those issues ? I am not misdoubting you or anything like that, but just generally interrested in this :)

There still exist countless problems with it, and the author has known about them for well over a year; yet he blatantly ignored posts where people offered assistance and refused to address all those major key issues.

Could you please post a couple of those issues ? I am not misdoubting you or anything like that, but just generally interrested in this :)

Here is a previous post that I made on the CCleaner forums. Later that day this post was removed and my account was banned. Seems they have things they are ashamed of and cannot simply address questions/criticism.

----

Features such as UTF-8? The bug reports that get reported fixed? It's own backup folder with the application?

There are numerous things users complain about, key, critical issues that should be resolved.

If we look at things, we have:

• Bug reports simply get ignored
  • No Unicode support at all
  • Overuse of ActiveX
  • Overuse of OCX files for everything
  • Visual Basic application
  • Some elements within the application do not function as they should
  • ...and many more

So what's wrong with all of this? Well, let's start with the top of the list and go through it.

Bug reports get ignored by the author. Heck, we rarely even seem him post after all. When a user comes to a website for support, especially for a product; they like to hear from a developer or the dev-team. I even had an issues with MSN Messenger settings getting wiped. It took over three months to get that issue resolved.

No Unicode support. None, at all. Zip. Zero. There was (and still is) a lot of people talking about the Issues section of CCleaner that returns squares and other garbled items. Now, if Unicode was implemented that would resolve that issue.

Overuse of ActiveX. Well, simply put that can cause a ton of errors and issues on computers. It'll crash on most platforms. That does no one good in the end.

Overuse of OCX files for everything. Well. Why do you need a special OCX file for the listview? For the checkboxes? The listview in the Issues cleaner? For the progress bar? The Common Controls OCX from Microsoft covers all of that and it works well. If all those OCX files do not register properly, the whole program fails.

Visual Basic application. Enough said there, really. VB applications are terrible for deployment to the real world, because of all the OCX files and dependencies they have. Look at how many people come here (the CCleaner forums) asking or support due to the runtimes alone. That says a lot, doesn't it?

Elements not functioning as they should. Heck, the progress bar for CCleaner doesn't even work properly. It just loops over and over "to show activity". That's poor coding to any programmer. Make it update with a percentage like the Issues scanner. At least that progress bar works. (Hint: BeginUpdate type method works nicely.)

Even the Issues cleaner needs a lot of work. If key was access denied, it happily acts like it deleted it, animates its removal from the listview. Then you scan again and OH LOOK THERE IT IS AGAIN! Surprise, surprise...

----

Sad to say, all of these issues still exist. I've even seen CCleaner totally trash several computers by removing certain needed files. Even the registry cleaner has totally killed some machines. After I encountered a few of these issues at the shop I quit using it completely on client machines. I'm keeping an eye out for a nice open-source freeware cleaning application that can easily replace CCleaner.

Oh, before I forget; where it is mentioned of the bug on MSN Messenger settings getting wiped. A fix was given as soon as the problem was discovered, yet it still took three months to get fixed. Pretty sad, huh? Here's the proof of how long it took.

In all honesty, the program is getting slower from the winapp.ini and if you add the winapp2.ini file, scanning takes an extremely long time. Try manually removing any programs you do not have installed and save the ini files. The speed will increase substancially. :P

@Tarun

Thank you very much for the detailed info, i really appreciate it :) I can't believe that you got banned and your post deleted for simply posting some weldocumented constructive criticism :rolleyes:

CU, Martin.