vLite 1.0 beta - OMG

nuhi

Dynaletik, why would I be annoyed by that. It is weird to post bug report here, makes more clutter...lock new version topics next time? I'll think about it.

Anyway tell me what does it pops up or how do you experience the issue?

Hi all,

Tested 1.0 with vista x64.

Ram usage comparing with vista x32 is 20% higher and even after vliting is up to 50%.

3 drivers are missing from hp support, not essential, but anyway.

Same mistakes as with vista x32: LSM and distributed COM (only on rebooting).

Additionally could remove only performance counters and monitor comparing with previous build.

Stable, solid work of system.

Unattended is great, saves time.

Some questions:

1. If mark skip user creation, will system use full name, or will put Administrator?

2. Why remove Aero? Without t no point using Vista, cause windows are opening as FRAMES and that looks terribly ugly. On older mashines prefer to stay with XP.

3. Did not get any difference between x32 and x64, exept higher ram and cpu usage. What those 64 bit do? Is it better for eyes or else? I see no diff. Can some one explain shortly?

4. How much of space future language removals can save? Can it reach 100mb as with xp. Would be nice to get vista on cd, not dvd.

Thank You, Nuhi, soft is just great.

Tried reinserting new drivers feature and it works flawlessly.

Can we expect tcpip patch and directx integration? I believe with language removal that are most expected features in the future version of vlite.

Would be nice to get some short replies from experienced users around.

Time to sleep,

Alex

Edited by Alex

1. If mark skip user creation, will system use full name, or will put Administrator?

2. Why remove Aero? Without t no point using Vista, cause windows are opening as FRAMES and that looks terribly ugly. On older mashines prefer to stay with XP.

3. Did not get any difference between x32 and x64, exept higher ram and cpu usage. What those 64 bit do? Is it better for eyes or else? I see no diff. Can some one explain shortly?

4. How much of space future language removals can save? Can it reach 100mb as with xp. Would be nice to get vista on cd, not dvd.

Can we expect tcpip patch and directx integration? I believe with language removal that are most expected features in the future version of vlite.

1. Administrator.

2. That DWM service is quite heavy. Also you might get tired of the glass and want the old snappy forms. I change themes every now and then and eventually go back to classic since then I don't need to think what is what. (micro seconds, micro seconds!)

3. x64 supports more than 4GB of ram which will soon become standard.

4. Biggest languages are removed, other left are tiny in comparison.

5. Tcp yes, DX no.

I always find the x64 version rates my computer higher...

first off, isntalled lots of things and memory usage only 600mb (with superfetch enabled) quite impressed with this! usually it was 0.99gig after starting windows (and this its with a couple of programs open on screen n everything!)

secondly, one thing that does annoy me about using vlite, is that on a vlited install, the 'refresh my score' thing to get the computers performance shows no progress when using vlite, without you get a nice progress box saying what its doing, however vlite you just click, its doing it but theres no indication its doing it unless you look at the cpu usage! its not a big thing, but still its somethingi've noticed!

hey nuhi

first thing the ISO prediction thing is easy , infact there is no prediction in it.

one needs to remove every component individually and measure how much it reduces the iso.

and this information needs to be compiled in a table which should be added to vlite.

for example, i have removed all the languages only and the iso has come down from 2.49 gb to 1.67 gb

this information should be fed in vlite.

everytime a person selects languages to be removed vlite should show his ISO will be 1.67 GB before rebuilding the image.

data on every component can be gathered this way. its a tedious and tiring job but this will save a lot of time for users.

Second thing the Split ISO window is not showing the ISO count or ISO size.. Please look into it.

Thanks.

Edited by pallavsuri

Stead, ok noted

pallavsuri, lol, so you expect me to actually rebuild and make ISO for every single component removed, then do the same for every Vista version out there...good one, very grateful you are my young padawan.

I suggest a different way if possible and someone wants to bother: use a script to remove one component at a time and measure the size of the removed files (in the temp/cache/wherever).

Keep up the good work nuhi! :)

DigeratiPrime, but I already did that, that's how those sizes got there. Thing is for the ISO size you got to rebuild the image and make ISO for every single component removed. I find that hard to maintain and unproductive. Even if someone gives me the whole list I would need to do the same whenever the component is changed or the new one is added. Maybe I could add some sort of rounded value by dividing the file size, like if 4GB will be removed, and that is 4/7 of the whole size then the ISO might be 4/7 too.

What if someone integrates drivers...oh c'mon people just quit with this...

well goodnews nuhi! the latencies are down in this version. its down to 150 us with spikes of 1000us coming at gaps of 5-10 sec. earlier it was 1000 all the way! so great going there.

although in the event viewer the number of warnings have increased quite a bit.

event viewer --> applications & services logs --> Key Mgmt Services --> Microsot--> windows--> Diagnostics performance--> Operational

Edited by pallavsuri

Personally I think you should just program a crystal ball to tell you the future what the size will be...

...Why do you need to know the size anyways, I mean you must have a dvd drive in order to read the dvd....and vista costs a hell of a lot more than a dvd writer u can get them incredibly cheap!

I'm very happy with vlite! I felt cheeky saying theres no progress with the refresh my score thing!

...If the people wanted the featre of knowing the size of each component individually they could always do it themselves and give nuhi a big list of sizes/components!