Typical Microsoft

Numinous

on a day they release an update rollup thats built to save time downloading multiple updates, they release another 4 with it.. what a bunch of numbnuts :) ..i think bill needs to feed his monkeys more bananas.. linux looks more and more viable by the day.. soon as driver supports top notch, im off

Yeah, quite annoyed at the 4 extra updates that came out at the same time as the Update Rollup. The hotfix list is big again despite removing the ones that the Update rollup covers. :)

But it can be a good thing too, MS are taking action to secure their products now and are trying to eliminate any buffer overflows.

If they programmed them properly in the first place, there'd be no need for updates :\

Sure, but if that was such an easy thing to do ... don't ya think they would have done it already? ... Lets be happy that they care releasing patches at all ...

If they programmed them properly in the first place, there'd be no need for updates :\

Sure, but if that was such an easy thing to do ... don't ya think they would have done it already? ... Lets be happy that they care releasing patches at all ...

well...M$ did leave some bugs into it;s programs...they can create a "superproduct" but that would be so durable that no1 would buy another version of the product....and if no1 buys another version M$ doesn;t make profit....and..well..u know the story :D

i think that if M$ would have programmed those "known bugs" out you would have had a lot less updates :D

:)

but hey..it's a conspiracy of M$, the gouvernment and the little green man from mars!! :rolleyes:

I think most of you are very naive and oblivious to how things work. I suggest you all read this article:

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21583.html

Sure, Microsoft releases a lot of bug fixes, but what does that mean exactly? And keep in mind a lot of problems exist within 3rd party applications code. When your program crashes, who is really to blame? Microsoft, or the company that developed the program?

And sure, everyone says Linux is much more stable. Well, let's all switch to Linux then. But if you don't think the people out there hacking computers are going to stop because we're all on Linux you have another thing coming. They will still find ways to infiltrate your system. They will still write viruses. It's inevitable. If there is a will there is a way. People hacked the X-box, the Playstation, the Pentagon. What makes you think your Linux machine can't be hacked?

Also, look at what Linux supports and what Windows does. If Linux could support every piece of software and hardware Windows could, you better **** believe you'd have a lot more bugs. If the hardware/software base was as limited as it is on Linux, Windows would also be much more stable. But Linux doesn't. You can't run all your favorite games. You can't have all your favorite hardware supported.

OS comparisons are always unfair because the OSes are completely different and the user base is entirely different. Linux/Unix and OSX can't support the range of hardware/software that Windows does. And a SMALL percentage of people use alternative Windows OSes. So if Windows is the majority, the majority of code will be written for Windows, thus allowing more possibilities of bugs. And of course, if the majority of the world is using Windows, of course hackers are going to exploit Windows. If Windows occupied a 2% OS userbase, no one would even bother hacking it.

You people need to realize how in the hell things work. If you don't like Windows, don't use it. No one is forcing you to. If you don't like Windows, write your own **** OS and see how easy it is to make millions of lines of code compatible with almost every piece of hardware and software released.

It is "not" that M$ writes programs to be compatible with 2nd and 3rd party software. It "is" that the rest of the Windows World writes their products to be compatible with M$. That is at least the case with the majority of products. Alas, there have been many cases when M$ collaborated with IBM, Symantec, and a few others to insure compatibility on both sides.

This past year M$ has made their BETA programs bigger and opened it to a wider population. In a few M$ articles posted here at MSFN and at winbeta we have seen M$ thank those beta testers and admit they now have a more stable M$ Office Suite to include M$ Server software. It is all about input from the Microsoft users that really makes it more stable and user friendly. I have never known Bill to totally ignore the world in that regard. He has simply had the time and resources to dedicate to us as a whole this past year.

Oh well, we are getting better. Yes :)

And keep in mind a lot of problems exist within 3rd party applications code.  When your program crashes, who is really to blame?  Microsoft, or the company that developed the program?

Well, thats good question! ... On one hand you can't blaim Microsoft for the bugs that other programmers cause. On the other hand. tt is however one of Microsoft's most vital task to protect the end user from poorly written code, that could potentially damage their system or cause loss of data. That would included preventing a 3rd party program from crashing the PC altogether, would'n it?

I think most of you are very naive and oblivious to how things work.  I suggest you all read this article:

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21583.html

Sure, Microsoft releases a lot of bug fixes, but what does that mean exactly?  And keep in mind a lot of problems exist within 3rd party applications code.  When your program crashes, who is really to blame?  Microsoft, or the company that developed the program?

And sure, everyone says Linux is much more stable.  Well, let's all switch to Linux then.  But if you don't think the people out there hacking computers are going to stop because we're all on Linux you have another thing coming.  They will still find ways to infiltrate your system.  They will still write viruses.  It's inevitable.  If there is a will there is a way.  People hacked the X-box, the Playstation, the Pentagon.  What makes you think your Linux machine can't be hacked?

Also, look at what Linux supports and what Windows does.  If Linux could support every piece of software and hardware Windows could, you better **** believe you'd have a lot more bugs.  If the hardware/software base was as limited as it is on Linux, Windows would also be much more stable.  But Linux doesn't.  You can't run all your favorite games.  You can't have all your favorite hardware supported.

OS comparisons are always unfair because the OSes are completely different and the user base is entirely different.  Linux/Unix and OSX can't support the range of hardware/software that Windows does.  And a SMALL percentage of people use alternative Windows OSes.  So if Windows is the majority, the majority of code will be written for Windows, thus allowing more possibilities of bugs.  And of course, if the majority of the world is using Windows, of course hackers are going to exploit Windows.  If Windows occupied a 2% OS userbase, no one would even bother hacking it.

You people need to realize how in the hell things work.  If you don't like Windows, don't use it.  No one is forcing you to.  If you don't like Windows, write your own **** OS and see how easy it is to make millions of lines of code compatible with almost every piece of hardware and software released.

exactly wat i was thinking

my original post was about microsofts patching techniques.. i find it laughable.. they cant even decide which name to use.. kb or q.. resulting in something unique to microsoft, a kb and q fix for one vulnerablity.. *laughs* ..two types of patches that use different sets of switch's.. *laughs* ..microsofts patch's leave a lot to desire.. consistency is the key, thats one thing microsoft know nothing about.. all i see is windows going from bad to worse.. you gotta remember, even elvis died when he got big and bloated ..i think it goes without saying that linux is more secure than windows.. after all, windows is a swiss army knife style web browser *laughs* ..from my experience with linux, it can do everything windows can.. there isnt one thing that windows has got that doesnt come with a linux distribution.. apart from, a can full of holes for people to slip through and a crap firewall.. *laughs* ..even windows has crap driver support.. windows vulnerabilities are ruining the internet.. my broadband activity light is permanently on with ping requests trying to sniff theyre way around my network, port 135 is being bombarded with adverts, and the rpc vulnerability has put the icing on the cake.. ive lost 7kbps bandwidth and thats just me out of god knows how many broadband users running microsofts vulnerable software.. im enjoying watching microsoft bang nails in theyre coffin ..and if i was to say i know a little about how these things work i'd be a liar.. Ms.NWar is right when she says people write theyre code to work with microsofts software.. not the other way round ..its good to see more software house's realise the importance of writing cross platform code.. yes the xbox was hacked.. and you know why lol.. cause people wanted to run linux on it :)