Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack

galahs

Another possibility is to use GO-OO OpenOffice edition. It both runs on Windows 98 sysems and supports the Microsoft Office 2007 file formats.

Yet another possibility is to use OpenOffice.org 3. It can work on Windows 98 with the newest KernelEx.

Hi Sfor,

Installed Gooo 2.4.1-5 today to try it out with 'docx' documents.

Results were VERY similar to "NW Docx Converter" (docx2rtf). Unfortunately, this means that side-by-side text (not sure if this is some type of table) is split into two sections (like two paragraphs) and no longer lines up.

Installed the "odf-converter-2.0-2.oxt" package and this made no difference (other than introduce a new step in the document loading process, for choosing the input format).

So far, the most accurate 'docx' interpretation I have achieved is with the "OpenXMLViewer" application. This terminates with an error on W98, but leaves behind an "output.xhtml" document in the %temp% directory, which is the converted document.

As for 'xlsx' documents, Gooo 2.4.1-5 does at least load the basic spreadsheet, although graphs are an OLE link that crash the application if you click on them. This is better than nothing, since the other OpenXML applications I've tried simply crash when presented with these 'xlsx' documents.

Well, this is some progress at least. I can now open 'docx' and 'xlsx' documents, although not as accurately as I'd like. I just wish I could run the official "FileFormatConverters" package using either KernelEx or the Orca hack. Can anyone identify what version (say by file size and download date) of "FileFormatConverters.exe" they had success with using the Orca hack?

Joe.

A further update ...

Found a new converter at SourceForge that can input (and output) OpenXML documents : ODFConverter command line OpenXML/ODF translator tool.

This converter requires "dotNet 2.0 framework" to be installed (note, I seemed unable to install this until I temporarily uninstalled KernelEx 0.3.6a).

This converter is also horribly slow.

However, the resultant ODF documents (which Gooo 2.4.1-5 supports very well) are the most accurate translation of the original OpenXML documents of everything I've tried so far. :-)

Next thing to try is the Sun "ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office 1.2" package, to give Office the capability to handle those ODF documents created by ODFConverter.

Joe.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, one final update (unless someone can answer my earlier questions regarding the official "FileFormatConverters.exe" package) :

The Sun "ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office 1.2" works great for Word 2000, completing the circle and allowing 'docx' files to find their way back to the 'doc' format with very good fidelity.

However, this plug-in doesn't work properly for Excel 2000, producing an irritating error message on startup. As a workaround, to retain functionality with Word but avoid this irritation, I renamed the registry key "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\Options\OPEN" to "...\OPEN_disabled" (as an alternative to simply deleting the key).

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm ...

Thanks for that clue. I see msxml5.dll is sitting there on the hard drive, so I'll

just have to figure out how to register it. Once/if I do, then presumably I follow

the Orca recipe again to attempt an install of the compatibility pack ...

BTW, I've found a problem using the command line odfconverter tool : It gives

an exception (ie. fails) when KernelEx (v0.3.6a) is installed.

Joe.

If you can get MSXML5 somehow installed and registered correctly on 9x/Me, we may have some success with the Compat Pack.

Well, on a hunch, I uninstalled KernelEx and re-attempted an install of the

FileFormatConverters package, using Orca to delete the LaunchCondition

entry in the MSI file (per previously described recipe).

Well, now 'msxml5.dll' shows numerous times in the registry, whereas

previously I don't think it did. There's also an 'msxml5r.dll' entry there

somewhere. So I presume that means it's now registered?

OK, so now Word 2000 gives me an option to open a "Word 2007 Document

(*.docx)" file, yet when it does so, it just gives me what appears to be a text

import of the raw file (eg. first two characters are "PK"). It hasn't even tried

to unpack the ZIP format. No error is reported now, though.

As for Excel 2000, behaviour seems unchanged.

Slight forward motion, but this stuff still can't walk. :-(

Joe.

If you can get MSXML5 somehow installed and registered correctly on 9x/Me, we may have some success with the Compat Pack.

OpenXMLViewer.exe used from the command line complains: "A required .DLL file, MSVCR90.DLL, was not found." The file is included in the package in the subdirectories, so I tried moving it and related files into the main directory, but to no avail.

Suggestions?

Thanx.

Can't remember if I had the same problem (I've deleted OpenXMLViewer, after discovering that the ODFconverter command line tool with Go-Oo 2.4.15 gave better results), but you might try copying the DLL to your Windows\System directory.

Other stuff you may find useful (stuff I wrote due to necessity) :

OpenXMLViewer.bat :

-------------------------

@echo off

if $%1==$ goto Usage

if $%1==$/? goto Usage

if not $%2==$ goto Usage

set COMMANDC=%COMSPEC%

set COMSPEC=C:\BIN\COMMANDC.EXE

OpenXMLViewer.exe %1

set COMSPEC=%COMMANDC%

set COMMANDC=

goto End

:Usage

echo Usage : OpenXMLViewer Document_Name

echo.

echo (Note, Document_Name needs to include the drive letter?)

:End

CommandC.pas :

--------------------

PROGRAM run_it (input, output);

{Dummy COMMAND.COM, expects parameters "/c some_command"}

{$M $4000,0,0 } { 16K stack, no heap }

USES

dos;

VAR

path : DirStr;

nam : NameStr;

ext : ExtStr;

args : string;

i : integer;

PROCEDURE error (code : integer; st : string);

{Displays error message and halts, returning error code}

BEGIN {error}

writeln(st);

halt(code)

END; {error}

FUNCTION execute (path, name, params : string) : boolean;

{Attempts to execute an external program, starting at current directory}

BEGIN {execute}

SwapVectors;

exec(name,params);

SwapVectors;

if (DosError <> 0) and (path <> '')

then

begin {then}

SwapVectors;

exec(path+name,params);

SwapVectors

end; {then}

execute := (DosError = 0)

END; {execute}

BEGIN {run_it}

{Check "/c" parameter ...}

if (ParamStr(1) <> '/c') and (ParamStr(1) <> '/C')

then

error(1, 'Expected command parameter "/c".');

{Get command processor, arguments ...}

if getenv('COMMANDC') <> ''

then

fsplit(getenv('COMMANDC'),path,nam,ext)

else

fsplit(getenv('COMSPEC'),path,nam,ext);

args := '/c start "';

for i := 2 to ParamCount do

args := args+ParamStr(i)+' ';

args[length(args)] := '"';

{Okay, let's go ...}

if not execute(path,nam+ext,args)

then

error(DosError,'Error - Could not execute parameters : '+args)

END. {run_it}

To build Commandc.exe (used by the batch file), download the free Turbo Pascal 5.5 compiler from "http://bdn.borland.com/museum" and use the 8.3 filename of your document (didn't bother adding LFN support;-). BTW, sorry but this HTML stuff kills the indentation in the source listing.

Good luck.

Joe.

OpenXMLViewer.exe used from the command line complains: "A required .DLL file, MSVCR90.DLL, was not found." The file is included in the package in the subdirectories, so I tried moving it and related files into the main directory, but to no avail.

Suggestions?

Thanx.

Actually, better rename the batch file (I had this earlier in my path than the executable, but you might not, so it's best the two don't share the exact same base filename) :

OpenXMLView.bat :

@echo off

if $%1==$ goto Usage

if $%1==$/? goto Usage

if not $%2==$ goto Usage

set COMMANDC=%COMSPEC%

OpenXMLViewer.exe %1

set COMSPEC=%COMMANDC%

set COMMANDC=

goto End

echo Usage : OpenXMLView Document_Name

echo.

Joe.

OpenXMLViewer.bat :

@echo off

if $%1==$ goto Usage

if $%1==$/? goto Usage

if not $%2==$ goto Usage

set COMMANDC=%COMSPEC%

OpenXMLViewer.exe %1

set COMSPEC=%COMMANDC%

set COMMANDC=

goto End

echo Usage : OpenXMLViewer Document_Name

echo.

Suggestions?

Thanx.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone save me time, and tell me if this proposition will work.

Dual Boot Win98SE (C: drive) and WinXP (D: drive)

Install Office 2000 on Win98SE on C: drive

Install Office 2000 on WinXP on C: drive (over the top of the same office install). Install the Office 2007 compatibility pack in WinXP

Now if I run Office 2000 under Win98SE, would I be able to open and save Office 2007 files?

It may work. But do use Regshot on XP to find out which registry changes the installer does, because you'll certaily have to transfer them to the 98 installation, too. I've read around there is a version of RegShot that already creates the necessary .reg file, but I don't have a link for it, sorry. Google for it, it may save you a lot of time. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! :thumbup

I'm new in this forum. :hello:

Can someone send me a complete file modified. I need to install it on windows 98 but i can't extract with winrar "FileFormatConverters.exe", i don´t have this option. :realmad:

My e-mail is tobias@tromm.no-ip.org (to send the file).

Thank You. :rolleyes:

PS: I'm sorry about my english :blushing:

• 1 month later...

Quick View Plus v10 can be installed after some fiddling under Win98SE and works fine under Win98SE (displays, copies, pastes and prints) with docx, Open Office, MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint for Windows) thru 2007, MS Project 2003, EBCDIC and many other recent file formats. Tested for 3 months, no problems, fully Win98SE compatible.

Quick View Plus v10 can also be installed under Win95a with a little more fiddling: Install v9 under Win95, then replace the install-to of v9 with the install-to of v10 created under Win98SE.

Quick View Plus v10 works fine under Win95a/98SE with the docx testfile for MS Word 2007 High Level Test https://trac.library.oregonstate.edu/projec...vel%20Test.docx

Quick View Plus v10 can also display PDF files up to format 1.6 (Acrobat 7), although the display isn't pretty and it doesn't have JPEG2000-JBIG Decoder suport.

An essential tool for Win9x.