SATA Hard Drive Freezes when i tried accessing certain files

or possibly a drive with bad sector where the files reside. try running a full scandisk with repair and look at the report to see if there are bad sectors.

If that returns with no bad sectors try reinstalling your SATA controller drivers.

or possibly a drive with bad sector where the files reside. try running a full scandisk with repair and look at the report to see if there are bad sectors.

If that returns with no bad sectors try reinstalling your SATA controller drivers.

i did a data life tools test (would this tell me if there is any bad sector) and it came back with no errors in the extended test (it took 1hr), would formatting the disk work?

Ideas, you still haven't elaborated on what is meant by "freezing". Does the Windows Shell (explorer.exe) freeze and take up 0%, 99% or 100% CPU usage? Does only Windows Explorer lock up temporarily? If so, if you have any file monitoring anti-virus or firewall enabled, that could be causing the problem. The Event Log Viewer should have some entries regarding the freezes/lockups.

Other than that, we can't accurately assist without more information. :hello:

Ideas, you still haven't elaborated on what is meant by "freezing". Does the Windows Shell (explorer.exe) freeze and take up 0%, 99% or 100% CPU usage? Does only Windows Explorer lock up temporarily? If so, if you have any file monitoring anti-virus or firewall enabled, that could be causing the problem. The Event Log Viewer should have some entries regarding the freezes/lockups.

Other than that, we can't accurately assist without more information. :hello:

*************************************************************************************

ok, wat is happening is that i hav som files in a specific folder and when ever i go into that folder and scroll down to those set of .exe files ( which i had no problem with them before ) the icons of those files are blank and the the machine jus freezes ( nothing works - mouse, alt+ctrl+del, alt+tab ) am not sure of the CPU usage becaz every thing just freeze, even explorer.... then it may unfreeze after about 3-10mins or sometime i reset the machine

*************************************************************************************

Edited by ideas

Check your task manager and make sure you don't have concurrent realtime antivirus scanners running in background. If so, disconnect from the network and then disable any and all antivirus you may be running and kill any processes/services that appear to be owned by an A/V application.

Then try to figure out which one you wanna keep, because running more than one realtime scanning antivirus at a time can lead to bad overall performance.

Well i noticed that in task manager my anivirus was running more than once and i tried end tasking, however 1 did end task but the other won't, i reboot tried it again and still the same prob ( am using nod32 - been using this for pretty long time now without any issues... )