Vista updates and Feature-Packs

prathapml

pkgmgr.exe (x86, version 6.0.6000.16386, 137 KB, use winrar to extract) download - http://www.mytempdir.com/1285147

spacesurfer-

Thats right, i ran this command in an admin-elevated CMD window on an already-running vista ulti x86 OS.

And the command + syntax seem to be perfect, i did not need to make any changes at all. (note: for some strange reason though, the cab gets extracted in the same directory as the CAB, instead of the C:\sandbox )

About integrating, i havent looked into it yet, but personally i'd rather not integrate beta versions (eg: dreamscene) into a production image.

If nuhi could provide a possibility to pause the installation for users to add the updates manually to the image, then that would be a big help I think.
Actually, you could let vLite do its job & then add the updates manually. Or you could add in the updates & then customise down your *.WIM with vLite....

And yes, you can get the CAB from %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download - take the file before you format & then use it later!

Actually, I wanted a way to integrate the hotfixes using pkgmgr. There are ways of doing it with peimg as mentioned in unattended vista section, but peimg is for winpe. i haven't had luck with pkgmgr yet.

You might need some other dll's with pkgmgr like expand.exe does in non-vista systems. Not sure though.

I stand corrected. You can't just use the stand alone pkgmgr.dll file. You need the whole WAIK because it relies on dll files. The reason I know is because I copied pkgmgr to integrate updates to my install.wim and it failed. Finally, I tried running it from its location and it worked!

And I also learned how to integrate the updates using pkgmgr. Some are using peimg.exe to update their install.wim but peimg is for winpe. They say it works. I'd rather used pkgmgr. The link is provided by FireGeier http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=92406.

Edited by spacesurfer

I tried integration and it did not really work that well.

I have made a batch-file for integration where you pass along as 1st parameter the directory to which the DVD was copied. However it can not integrate 928089, 931573 and 932246 (which is half of what I want to integrate). Also peimg cannot "prep" my image, I tried with my vLite'd installation as well as the original. See the attached file for details.

Can anyone help me out?

Edited by Jeronimo

Windows Movie Maker 2.6

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Overview
Movie Maker 2.6 is for Windows Vista users whose computer cannot run the Vista version of Movie Maker.

To test if your computer can run the Vista version of Movie Maker:

1. From the Start menu, click All Programs.
2. Click Windows Movie Maker.

If Movie Maker launches, you should not download version 2.6.

If you get an error message that says, "Windows Movie Maker cannot start because your video card does not support the required level of hardware acceleration or hardware acceleration is not available", download and install Movie Maker 2.6.

Again been busy quite a few hours, but neither pkgmgr nor peimg can integrate ALL updates properly with the given methods (winbeta, the above, another topic from FireGeier, spacesurfer). peimg did not allow integration of 50% of my updates and pkgmgr causes peimg /list to give an errormessage and stops after displaying the first update. This is becoming ridiculous. I hope vLite has some integration option soon, because I am getting sick and tired of it. For the record I am integrating into an original install.wim not ran by vLite.

SP1 is coming quite soon now.

In another month, you'll start having beta builds of SP1, which you'll then be able to integrate into base image.

For those wondering:

"Microsoft will ship Windows Vista SP1 concurrently with Longhorn Server in Q3 2007 and SP1 will include a major kernel update for Vista that will bring the client OS up to speed with the version of the Windows kernel in Longhorn Server."

Search for the source for more info... :hello: